• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 Transfer case died.

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Left on vacation with my wife and our 2 95 lb. Labs last Thursday. Headed to Oceanside CA but only made as far as Phelan.

Lost all gears in the transmission going down Cajon Pass grade. Luckily I was able to coast downhill to the Hwy 138 exit and coast into the 76 gas station there.
A 200 mile tow back home...$$$.....and now I have to replace the transfer case. I think I'm just going to exchange it with a used one and then decide what to do with it.
Just a FYI to Explorer owners. No forward gears and not holding vehicle in Park. Moves in 4x4 Low = Bad transfer case. Turn up your volume to hear what it sounds like.

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
The 4X4 Explorers are notorious for that. Be careful with a used one, you may be installing another unit that is close to failing... I have been through this before. Several times...

stitch702

Recovering Gunaholic
Forum Supporter
You wouldn't happen to know of any transmission shops that specialize in Ford Explorer models that do quality work, but won't rape me on prices? I took my car to a shop that said I needed a new transmission, but other than the od light flickering on, I have no symptoms of transmission failure. I'd like to get a second opinion. Thanks in advance.

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Who all has an exploder? NVS scrap yard. JR3 take the transfercase, Stich take the transmission. I have a friend who might want A/C parts and maybe door locks.
http://nevadashooters.com/threads/parting-out-or-sell-whole-1999-ford-explorer-xlt-4x4.147303/
Already had the conversation with vegasplinker.
Transfer case won't work with my model. 3 different applications of the same case, 95-96, 97, 98-01. Speed sensor locations and driveshaft coupling changes.
Waiting on a reply for a t/c so I may be on my way to being on the road again.

stitch702:
I don't know what part of town you're in but You might give Bob's Transmission in Henderson or Good Care Transmission in Las Vegas a call and ask about diagnosing. They don't specialize in Ford Explorers but service all makes.
I work in commercial auto parts and both these shops seems to be honest and have been around longer than the 12 yrs I've lived here.
I will probably do my own work but if my plans fall through I was going to call the 2 I mentioned for quotes.

Bob's Trans - 702 568-1000
Good Care Trans - 702 531-2400

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
A friend of mine used to own Del Norte Transmission on East Lake Mead Blvd, just east of Pecos Rd. He sold the business but still works there. He and his guys are very good and very honest.

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Got a transfer case on the way. Should be back on the road soon.......apparently not soon enough though.

To add insult... Not sure if it was a roving patrol or my butthead neighbor complaining...Got a notice in the mail from the city code enforcement.
Henderson NV PMC 15.12.030 - Blah,blah,...Parking violation for side and front yards....blah,blah...

Been there for a week. I put it on the side so we could drive cars in and out of garage without doing the car shuffle.
It's now in the driveway.
If I find out it was the neighbors..well..their's is parked with 80% of their vehicle not on the driveway....

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
I would put pavers or something in that area so then they can't (b****) about it.

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Temps in the high 90's, Started working on the Explorer today.T/C should be arriving Wed or Thurs.

Drained case...about 1 qt dirty ATF drained out. Pulled 1 small piece of plastic out of drain hole.

I think I have everything disconnected except for 2 transfer to transmission bolts.

Hoping we don't get anymore tremors from big earthquakes anytime this week..........

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
Hoping we don't get anymore tremors from big earthquakes anytime this week..........
Then move the jack stands closer to the corners!

Want to piss off an MB tech? Breath on a G wagon while they are under it. Lift points are like two feet apart front to rear.

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Got the t/c stuck in Sunday. Was going to have a friend help today but decided to start putting it in myself. Ended up completing it with no help needed.
Took a couple of hours. Pretty drained after working in almost 110 degree heat.

Still have to pick up the t/c fluid. Going to fill t/case and test drive today

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Filled with full synthetic Valvoline Multi Vehicle Transfer Case Fluid.

So far test drive reveals nothing strange or unusual. Looks like I'm mobile again.

Right on!