1st shoot new pickup gp100

terdog

uber Member
My GF is responsible for this ... she has a GP100 4" that is a hoot to shoot.

So, I started looking for a nice clean used GP.

Was on GunBroker and found a 6" with a Simmons 4x scope and rail setup.

It was Friday night when I could get to my FFL and pick her up. Now, I don't know about you, but I insist on shooting my new to me irons within 24hrs. Its a law in Nevada, right???

So, I went down the road to my semi-private shootin area. Ya, it was dark, but I put up my steel and had the truck headlights on the impact area. And being a box canyon, I know when someone shows up so safety is assured.

Using the laser range finder I found that I had set up at the 45yd mark. Being that the pistol was shipped with the scope removed, I didn't really expect it to be accurate.

I was pleasantly surprised to miss only 1 out of 4 cylinder fulls of 357. Freehand she was a pleasure to shoot, and it was great to hear that steel ringin.

Attachments

terdog

uber Member
Now theres an idea ... maybe some night shootin shots! :getsome:
I shoulda tried that when I had my Coonan.

When are you gonna come over the hill Ricci?

Thanks stitch.

Don't tell my boss that I used the work truck. lol

terdog

uber Member
No night shots. Yet.

We did head out to the box canyon this afternoon though. Tried pushin back the range to 85 yds.
My hit / miss ratio got all effed up. the best that I got was 1 rnd where I got 4 for 6. But usually it was more like 2/6.

Oh well, still a good time.

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Now theres an idea ... maybe some night shootin shots! :getsome:
I shoulda tried that when I had my Coonan.

When are you gonna come over the hill Ricci?

Not for a while Terry, been taking care of my wife's parents in all our spare time.

Thanks stitch.

Don't tell my boss that I used the work truck. lol
You sure he didn't GPS that truck? LOL

SUBMOA

Harley Builder
I bought a new GP100 6" stainless about a year and a half ago from Scheels
It sure is a pleasure to shoot. Congrats on yours.

terdog

uber Member
No problem.

I've been thinking about taking the scope off. I'm more of a 15 - 20 yrd kinda guy. Hell, I might not be any good, but I sure do enjoy my shootin! :wink:

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
No problem.

I've been thinking about taking the scope off. I'm more of a 15 - 20 yrd kinda guy. Hell, I might not be any good, but I sure do enjoy my shootin! :wink:
Same here. Much closer with sub-3" carry guns. I do have an all steel 3" Kimber Ultra .45 that can go out further, much further.

terdog

uber Member
Yesterday, despite the fresh snow and temps in the high 20's, my son and I went out to the Canyon.

We sighted in his AR and my Marlin 30-30 @ 100 yds. And for kicks, we broke out the GP100.
Now, I know that its cheating a bit by using the bench and sled, but it worked for us. :wink:

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
I have an LEO buddy that left Genoa early to get to her job in Sacto. Said it was white-out conditions there for a while. Doing it in style in a Carrera 4S.