• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

2011 hunt prospects

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Applied for Deer/Elk tags in Montana and Wyoming....Still have Utah and Nevada left to go!!! The prospects are wide open right now!!! Can't wait for next fall already!!!:scsniper3:

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Draw

I am putting in for deer and elk here too, if nothing else have to keep the bonus points going! Same with Utah, I am only going to put in for some of the very desirable areas and try to start accumulating some bonus points so that at some point I may actually get to hunt some of those "hotspots" I keep reading about!

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
When my Dad has more free time we need to start putting in for tags! Gives me a good reason to build/buy a hunting rifle! I knew I shouldnt of sold mine when I got bit by the precision long range bug.

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
hunting rifle

If you feel like going dont let that slow you down, I have enough hunting rifles to arm a small malitia! That would be fun to get a group of us stomping around up there in Northen Nevada somewhere! The precision rifle needs to go too, the time when you leave it at home is when the opportunity will arise that you should have had it with you...granted you aren't goint to want to pack it through the brush, but there are those rare occurrences when you see them off in the distance and have the time to set up for a shot (so far only once for me on the 650 yard deer vs. Barrett shot!) but I have had occurrences where a buddy had a tag and we spotted game out around 6-800 yards and were not able to get any closer....I am rambling now, but seriously if you want to go hunting definitely dont let a lack of hunting rifle be the reason...you have full access to my rack-o-rifles!:scsniper2::scsniper2::scsniper2:

Poor bambi!!! That is the devastating power of a 750 grain AMAX at 650 yards to the throat of bambi's big brother...(cut me some slack it was the day before the end of my season and I was skunked up to that point)...lmao he aint a wall hanger, but I put some meat in the freezer and he was 650 yards out...farthest kill for me.....so far!

Last edited:

broke_again

Recreational Shooter
Sounds like a good reason to pick up another hunting rifle other than my .308. Maybe something flat like .270 WSM or .300 WSM. :sifone:

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
If you feel like going dont let that slow you down, I have enough hunting rifles to arm a small malitia! That would be fun to get a group of us stomping around up there in Northen Nevada somewhere! The precision rifle needs to go too, the time when you leave it at home is when the opportunity will arise that you should have had it with you...granted you aren't goint to want to pack it through the brush, but there are those rare occurrences when you see them off in the distance and have the time to set up for a shot (so far only once for me on the 650 yard deer vs. Barrett shot!) but I have had occurrences where a buddy had a tag and we spotted game out around 6-800 yards and were not able to get any closer....I am rambling now, but seriously if you want to go hunting definitely dont let a lack of hunting rifle be the reason...you have full access to my rack-o-rifles!:scsniper2::scsniper2::scsniper2:
Shoot! I'm down!! Let me know when its time to put in for tags!

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
tags

I will let you know when the draw starts for Nevada, I think it is between March and April if I remember correctly, but I will keep an eye on it and maybe we can twist Dane's arm and we can put in as a group...I usually end up taking a few rifles anyway...its too hard to pick just one...lmao I take a golf bag, the 30/30 is the putter, the .243 is the 9 iron, the .270 is about a 3 iron, the 30.06 is a 5 wood, and the barrett is the driver....you never know!!:scsniper2::scsniper2::scsniper2::scsniper2:

Just confirmed it April 19th is the closing date for the tags...I dont think it opens until sometime in March though.

Last edited:

texTical

nice will have to join in on the lottery for some tags as well, thx for the dates

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
I'll start working on Dane to get him to go. We have to make sure Alissa doesn't know.... Ummmmmm, were going camping. Or were heading out of town to shoot another tac precision match! lol

I can talk to my Dad about using some of his hunting rifles too, Ill mention it to him. I bet he's down!

Vegas50

1 Mile Shot Club
I'll start working on Dane to get him to go. We have to make sure Alissa doesn't know.... Ummmmmm, were going camping. Or were heading out of town to shoot another tac precision match! lol
Haha Deer hunting isnt an issue, she hates deer after wrecking 2 cars on them in Michigan. Predator hunting is out of the question unless i want to be sleeping alone for a long while.

Sounds like a good reason to pick up another hunting rifle other than my .308. Maybe something flat like .270 WSM or .300 WSM. :sifone:
I'd shoot the .308 at deer.. Not at ELK but deer hell yes..
Buddy son takes deer all teh time with his 22-250 and 243...

SHOT PLACEMENT BROTHER SHOT PLACEMENT

Tahoe

Heavy Iron
Nice vids.

I am going to try muzzle loader for deer this year. Got skunked last year on Mule Deer antlered but saw plenty o' doe.

Better get my eyeglasses checked again too...

Tahoe

vagabulla

Applying as a Group

Does applying as a group help or hinder your odds of drawing?

Here's an example. A unit/area may have only four tags available to draw, you and three of your buddies want to put in for that unit. Are your chances of drawing, slim as they already are, better by applying as a group or each individually? If as a group one draws, everyone gets a tag, the 4 tag quota for that unit is then filled. If individually, only one person might draw, but the other buddies could still tag along for the hunt.

To further the example let me lay out a scenario of failure. Let's say for said unit 10 people apply for those 4 tags. If John Doe, who is not part of your group and who applied individually, gets picked for tag 1, that leaves 3 tags. Even if your name gets picked for tag 2, your group outnumbers the remaining tags and your lose the draw.

How about if there are 40 tags, 100 people apply including you and your 3 buddies? Are your odds better than if you had applied by yourself, hoping to draw at least 1 of those 40 tags?

How do bonus points work in a group application? If the group fails to draw, does each individual in the group get a bonus point, or is it one point for the group, or no point at all?

Sorry for multiple questions in one post. Utah's application period is open, Nevada's is coming up soon, and time it is a tickin'

desertw0lf

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I would love to tag along with someone or go along with a group next season if they didn't mind, as it is something I have very little experience with and want to get into.

HA-Y-N 702

Does applying as a group help or hinder your odds of drawing?

Here's an example. A unit/area may have only four tags available to draw, you and three of your buddies want to put in for that unit. Are your chances of drawing, slim as they already are, better by applying as a group or each individually? If as a group one draws, everyone gets a tag, the 4 tag quota for that unit is then filled. If individually, only one person might draw, but the other buddies could still tag along for the hunt.

To further the example let me lay out a scenario of failure. Let's say for said unit 10 people apply for those 4 tags. If John Doe, who is not part of your group and who applied individually, gets picked for tag 1, that leaves 3 tags. Even if your name gets picked for tag 2, your group outnumbers the remaining tags and your lose the draw.

How about if there are 40 tags, 100 people apply including you and your 3 buddies? Are your odds better than if you had applied by yourself, hoping to draw at least 1 of those 40 tags?

How do bonus points work in a group application? If the group fails to draw, does each individual in the group get a bonus point, or is it one point for the group, or no point at all?

Sorry for multiple questions in one post. Utah's application period is open, Nevada's is coming up soon, and time it is a tickin'
I think you would get the best answer at the nearest NDOW Office. I know of one close to where I live in Henderson, next to Kmart on Racetrack Road (off of Boulder Hwy).

vagabulla

I have never found the workers in either of the NDOW office to be very knowledgeable about the ins and out of the application process. Mostly they seemed to be retired school teachers.

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Hunting probabilities of getting drawn

From what I have seen, it is a toss up whether you apply as a group or as an individual. I don't know how it works as far as how they apply it towards their quota, but if your group gets drawn each person in the group gets a tag. Usually the way I look at it we all put in as individuals and if one of the "group" gets drawn, we still all go hunting, just one of us is able to harvest! That is just my point of view, but I just enjoy being able to get out and if I can just help a friend get his tag filled, I am happy to get out and enjoy the outdoors and if I get the tag, that is a bonus!