• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

2021 hunting season

When does all the info for the 2021 season come out. New to this and the brow sight isn’t showing anything. Looking for deer info more than anything. I’m the only one I know who hunts so I’m solo on all of it. It’s ok to give me a hard time for the dumb question lol

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Applications go in April...pertaining info shortly before that.
This years hunt book should give a good idea of particulars, things don't change dramatically from year to year.

iSaveLives

RN = Registered Nut
When does all the info for the 2021 season come out. New to this and the brow sight isn’t showing anything. Looking for deer info more than anything. I’m the only one I know who hunts so I’m solo on all of it. It’s ok to give me a hard time for the dumb question lol
I still consider myself new to hunting as well. I drew a muley muzzleloader tag for 101-108 this past Sept but wasn't able to close the distance with a nice 4 point in a 5 buck bachelor group. I got within 375 yards and wasn't comfortable making that shot with a muzzleloader. Definitely wishing it was rifle season that time. This was my first time hunting ever. I did as much research as possible with online resources like the NDOW website, GoHunt.com, ROKslide.com, YouTube and this one.

Members like Fogie has been a god-send when it came to hunting that area.

I'm willing to help you out as well and if we end up being able to draw the same tag and area, we can buddy up and see if we can bring home some meat.

Last edited:

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Looking for deer info more than anything. I’m the only one I know who hunts so I’m solo on all of it. It’s ok to give me a hard time for the dumb question lol
Lots of great info above. I would also like to add that in addition to the research you will doing, I encourage you to review prior years hunt statistics. This will give you a general idea of unit/area success rates, draw probability, accessibility and other related info. It may help in deciding which units to apply for.

Hunt unit info: http://www.ndow.org/Hunt/Hunting_Units/

Hunt stats: http://www.ndow.org/Hunt/Resources/Statistics_and_Draw_Odds/

Good luck this year!

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
[QUOTE="iSaveLives, post: 1405001, member: 16441"I drew a muley muzzleloader tag for 101-108 this past Sept but wasn't able to close the distance with a nice 4 point in a 5 buck bachelor group.[/QUOTE]

I feel ya. On my first archery hunt, I put a 3 hour stalk on a nice 4x4 and got to within 25 yards where he was bedded. The wind was in my favor until a last second swirl blew my cover. As soon as I felt the wind at the back of my neck, I knew it was over. The buck raised his head, snorted and booked it to the next ridge. He did stop at 120 yards to get a view of the stinky hunter trying to kill him...all the while I was wishing it was rifle season. lol

So I got my hunter safety and hunting license this past Summer and as a complete novice I have had much success hunting jackrabbit, cotton tail
That being said I’d like to try and get a mule deer tag or antelope, he’ll even a big horn if I’m lucky, but I have no idea how it works, is there a thread with a guide? I was told by a friend to try and get a tag in a zone in Lincoln county? I welcome any help or suggestions.

Last edited:

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
That being said I’d like to try and get a mule deer tag or antelope, he’ll even a big horn if I’m lucky, but I have no idea how it works, is there a thread with a guide? I was told by a friend to try and get a tag in a zone in Lincoln county? I welcome any help or suggestions.
Regulations change quite often as NDOW calculates total tags and hunt feasibility for various units/areas throughout the State before the start of each season. Data for the 2021-2022 season will likely post a couple months from now but start here to download and read through last season's guide and season information: http://www.eregulations.com/nevada/big-game/

All big game tags (elk, deer, antelope) are lottery based. The only exception is mountain lion (which you can buy over the counter). Each hunt area/unit will present its own draw odds. Some are astronomical and will likely take upwards of 20+ years to draw (such as sheep). Others like Bull elk can take anywhere from 5-10 years to draw. For deer, If you hunt with a bow, there are areas such as 14 and 17 with high draw probability but be prepared to hike and be prepared to take your truck FAR away from the nearest town and into trails that will test its capability.

As an extremely rough general rule, areas with high deer density and easy access will be the toughest to draw. You will likely need 3 or 4 bonus points to get a fair chance. Despite all this, however, there is still such a thing as luck-of-the-draw. You can draw on your first try, but you won't draw if you don't apply, so if your finances can allow it, put your application in for a unit that you like even if the odds are 1 in 100 or so.

Download the hunt unit map here: http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/ndoworg/Content/Hunt/Resources/2018_Hunt_Unit_Map(2).pdf

Once NDOW opens up applications for 2021-2022 Big Game (I believe in early March but don't quote me on this), you will apply and pay for everything on this site: https://nevada.licensing.kalkomey.com/

Regulations change quite often as NDOW calculates total tags and hunt feasibility for various units/areas throughout the State before the start of each season. Data for the 2021-2022 season will likely post a couple months from now but start here to download and read through last season's guide and season information: http://www.eregulations.com/nevada/big-game/

All big game tags (elk, deer, antelope) are lottery based. The only exception is mountain lion (which you can buy over the counter). Each hunt area/unit will present its own draw odds. Some are astronomical and will likely take upwards of 20+ years to draw (such as sheep). Others like Bull elk can take anywhere from 5-10 years to draw. For deer, If you hunt with a bow, there are areas such as 14 and 17 with high draw probability but be prepared to hike and be prepared to take your truck FAR away from the nearest town and into trails that will test its capability.

As an extremely rough general rule, areas with high deer density and easy access will be the toughest to draw. You will likely need 3 or 4 bonus points to get a fair chance. Despite all this, however, there is still such a thing as luck-of-the-draw. You can draw on your first try, but you won't draw if you don't apply, so if your finances can allow it, put your application in for a unit that you like even if the odds are 1 in 100 or so.

Download the hunt unit map here: http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/ndoworg/Content/Hunt/Resources/2018_Hunt_Unit_Map(2).pdf

Once NDOW opens up applications for 2021-2022 Big Game (I believe in early March but don't quote me on this), you will apply and pay for everything on this site: https://nevada.licensing.kalkomey.com/
Wow thanks a lot ! I really appreciate you taking the time to lay all that out.
The mods should sticky this, it’s extremely useful

For deer, If you hunt with a bow, there are areas such as 14 and 17 with high draw probability but be prepared to hike and be prepared to take your truck FAR away from the nearest town and into trails that will test its capability/
Question, by 14 & 17 do you mean 014 & 017 or 114 & 117 ?

Also what are muzzle loader odds ? Are these also best for muzzle loader ?

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Tagging for future reference. I hunted big game in Kaliforniastan for years with good success, but learned the rules as a youth and only needed to acquaint myself with the rule changes each year. Starting from scratch here, is a bit of a strain on the old noggin, but worthwhile I suspect.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter

there are hunt areas..22/11/10 etc that are divided into units...221/222/223, 111/112/113, 101/102/103 etc
I know nothing of muzzle loading except that it can be hot out while hunting and that tags are sometimes leftover after the initial drawing.

iSaveLives

RN = Registered Nut

Last Sept was my first hunt ever in my life as well as with a muzzleloader. I did not apply previously and was able to pull a tag for units 101-108 on my first try for muzzle loader because the odds were very high to draw one in that unit. I think last year it was about 30-40%. I got my draw odds from the gohunt.com website.

I've never hunted before, never shot a muzzle loader before, and had never been to that area before. 2020 was a year of firsts for me, lol.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor

Like Fogie is describing, the first two numbers of your 3-digit number are the "area" you get in the draw. Then you can hunt any of the 3-digit whatever-they-call-its* in that area.

I usually hunt Area 22. So I get 221, 222, and 223.

*Edit: "units!" That's it. Thanks, Fogie.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Like Fogie is describing, the first two numbers of your 3-digit number are the "area" you get in the draw. Then you can hunt any of the 3-digit whatever-they-call-its* in that area.

I usually hunt Area 22. So I get 221, 222, and 223.

*Edit: "units!" That's it. Thanks, Fogie.
welcome
..some areas are divided as far as tags go. Doe in 10, for instance...only in 101,102 and 109 are they available.
Elk, Antelope etc tags almost always subdivide areas into certain units instead of area-wide.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Last Sept was my first hunt ever in my life as well as with a muzzleloader. I did not apply previously and was able to pull a tag for units 101-108 on my first try for muzzle loader because the odds were very high to draw one in that unit. I think last year it was about 30-40%. I got my draw odds from the gohunt.com website.

I've never hunted before, never shot a muzzle loader before, and had never been to that area before. 2020 was a year of firsts for me, lol.
getting close as you did is pretty good, Bud. I have hunted that area for 9-10 days without seeing a buck.

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter

I hunted specifically in Unit 144. But Area 14 will consist of units 141-145. I also hunted in Unit 173 which is part of Area 17 and spans 171-173. Fogie and MAC break it down further so hopefully it clears up the confusion. :)

Based on 2019 odds, the muzzleloader draw rate for Area 14 and 17 were above 50%. So, high draw probability, but those areas can be brutal and the deer will be scattered especially after a heavy winter which affords the deer many areas to drink. If there is a drought, the general advice is to focus on finding water sources since they will be few and far between. Glass those areas and focus on their patterns. What time do they drink? Where do they eat? Where do they bed? Also, where is their second bedding area? Some bucks will bed out in the open sage brush after breakfast until they can't tolerate the morning sun, then they go off to bed under thicker shade where they will typically remain until dinner time.

If you pattern them during the archery season, it's likely that pattern will remain the same during the muzzleloader season.