• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

22lr conversion kit

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Thinking of buying a conversion kit. Specifically the CMMG Bravo 22LR AR-15 conversion.

Anyone have experience with this one.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I read that about the accuracy.
In looking I couldn't find a AR pistol upper in either 7.5" or 10.5"
Saw some complete rifles with 8"

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
CMMG makes the 22lr AR barrel in 16" or 9". I haven't seen any others. The 9" is out of stock most of the time. I use the 16". It is one of my favorite AR's. It never jams, and is very accurate with a little Nikon scope. I mostly shoot it suppressed. 20180729_171040.jpg

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Yeah, a 9" dedicated upper is gonna cost me close to $475 shipped + magazines .... Compared to $160 for just a BCG & 3 magazines.
I'm thinking I'm just going to get the BCG and magazines for now

Jayc71

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
I looked at the CMMG BCG but ended up going with a PSA full .22 upper and love it. Works flawlessly but was definitely more expensive.

Grumpyoldretiredcop

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I ran a conversion kit with a 16" 1/9 upper for a while before building a dedicated rimfire AR. The conversion was good enough for minute of soda can (about 3-4") at 50 yards. Not terrible. The dedicated carbine cut that in half.

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
I have a DPMS .22LR upper, and it works pretty well. Reliable enough, fairly accurate. I also have an S&W M&P22 as well as a Colt/Umarex .22 M16 (A2 style, 20" barrel). The Colt/Umarex is the most reliable and accurate semi-auto .22LR I've ever fired, bar none. Easy 1" groups at 100 yards with the right ammo, and never a malfunction with good ammo (primarily Mini Mags) and cleaning. I'd buy one in a second before buying another .22 upper.

I've never tried a conversion bolt setup for the reasons mentioned above. I'm pretty sure you'd get a fair amount of leading into the gas system that would be a pain to clean out, and of course there's no way it could be properly accurate. To me, the whole point of running .22LR is for the cheap ammo, but if it's a pain to switch back and forth and inaccurate, what's the point?

johnthomas

Henderson
Forum Supporter
I have the 22 conversion kit you spoke of. I shoot it with an inexpensive build and have no problems at all with it. I target shoot, it is just a fun cheap way to blow off steam.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I have an old Atchisson conversion kit from way back. Worked fine, with both of the little stick mags I have for it. Very dirty and accuracy was the pits, but it was fun. It is a cheap way to plink for fun. If you have a spare upper I see no reason why you can't have some cheap fun with the kit as long as you keep it clean and run some regular rounds through it now and then.

I also have a M&P15-22. It has been great and have never had reliability issues with it. It is an older model with the quad rail and the non-threaded barrel.

I've also assembled a few dedicated 22LR AR15 uppers based on CMMG barrels and 22LR BCGs. Both are 9" (also had a 4.5" as well at one point) built on Aero Enhanced M4E1 uppers and they have run like clocks. Suppressed, binary trigger rip-saws, running both my old Atchisson stick mags, or with the 15-22 Mag-well adapter and 15-22 mags.

Last edited:

oly29

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I have a complete lower built for my soon to be built 22AR but would like to get a heavy barrel instead of the pencil barrel. So far haven't found one in 22 caliber. I got my wife a Tacsol upper about 4-5 years ago that attaches to a standard lower but you can't find those anymore either.
So will build my upper from a bunch of different parts and hope they all work together.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Well, I bought a CMMG conversion kit w/ 3 magazines for $190 shipped.
It's going in my 10.5" AR pistol.
Was gonna buy a complete upper, a dedicated upper costs more than my whole pistol build did.
Thought about buying a HK 416 22 pistol and adding the adapter and a brace. Which would have been cheaper than a complete upper.
Maybe when Donny send me my monies