.284 Winch DONUTS in opened up 6.5 - 284 LAPUA brass

Is anyone else having this problem? I have 6.5-284 LAPUA brass that has been run over a mandrel to make it plain old .284 Winchester. When I try to reload some stuff for bullet tests, they take 162 grain ELD-M Hornadys just fine, but with the 175 grain ELD-X Hornadys, the bullet hits a donut that has been formed and I have to remove the donut in order to seat the heavier bullet. I know that shapes are different for different bullets, so I get why the donuts block bullet seating for some bullets. But, tis has me wondering...are any of you experiencing donuts forming after one or two firings and the donuts are apparently pretty heavy duty? When I remove the donuts I get, seating pressures are very normal.

I have heard that some chambers are bad to make donuts and that some brass is worse than others. I think I am going to try some Winchester brass I have that is a natural .284 Winchester and see what happens.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
this is pretty common if sizing brass up/down.....if using bushing dies...and if using bushing dies without the expander....this is why when building a custom rifle you should have your own reamer built to your specs or a throater reamer so your smith can set the freebore.

also are most of the other guys shooting F-class shooting hornady bullets? im not into F-class like you are but im going to bet no...i bet most are shooting bergers...that said id see what most of those other guys are shooting and start with the same components and if need be get a throat reamer and have tom set the freebore to the bullet your going to shoot so it sits just above the doughnut.

this is pretty common if sizing brass up/down.....if using bushing dies...and if using bushing dies without the expander....this is why when building a custom rifle you should have your own reamer built to your specs or a throater reamer so your smith can set the freebore.

also are most of the other guys shooting F-class shooting hornady bullets? im not into F-class like you are but im going to bet no...i bet most are shooting bergers...that said id see what most of those other guys are shooting and start with the same components and if need be get a throat reamer and have tom set the freebore to the bullet your going to shoot so it sits just above the doughnut.
Yeah...unfortunately, I DO NOT have this reamer, as I had the barrel done by LRI in Sturgis a while back and I'm gonna guess that they have moved on to some other reamer for the 284 by now. (and, yeah, I am an NO "expander ball" guy

Most folks ARE running the BERGERS and I have been using BERGER 180s also, but the supply is running short and I believe that, as they phase in the 184s they may very likely cease to produce the 180s so, in view of having to basically start all over again with load development I figured I'd explore some other possibilities.....not that I am bound and determined to switch bullets!! At this point I guess I need to ask around and find out if the people that have made the switch to the 184s are having any "donut issues". If not, then I may just stick with those (if I can even get them in the quantities I consume), as from what I am hearing there is not really huge changes in loads required----though I WILL have to do some testing myself to satisfy my own curiosity. Not to mention that the barrel now on the gun (with maybe 800 rounds through it) is a 1:9 twist and I'm hearing that the 184s DO NOT perform well unless pushed through a 1:8 twist AND RIGHT NOW obtaining another Krieger .284 in 1:8 twist is pretty near impossible within any reasonable time frame.

Then, again, aybe I will just switch to either Winchester "natural" 284 brass or to some "natural" .284 NORMA brass that I have (both) on hand and maybe that will solve the issue as some NORMA 284 that I currently use does NOT form a donut as far as I have experienced. I don't know about either the quality of the Winchester brass or whether it tends to make donuts or not, but I'm guessing it doesn't. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS LAST THOUGHT?????

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
You're getting the donut from sizing up. The thicker brass that used to be in the shoulder is now in the neck.

Inside neck reamers are fairly cheap, and will fix your problem.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
i have no experience with a 284 other than shooting someone elses but i did shoot winchester brass in my 260 when i shot one and it was pretty good brass as long as your not trying to hot rod it.

the thing with NOT using the expander is unless your turning necks you push all the inconsistencies from the outside to the inside which can and will cause issues...like geargringer said you can turn doughnuts out from the inside...personally i dont like the idea of running a reamer on the insides of my necks id rather do a 50-60% outside turn before the first firing and then turn them again after the first firing with the same setting or 0.0005 more if needed(a bit more work but if your going to do it may as well do it right).

Has anyone on here used "PETERSON" brass? I see that they make it in .284 Winchester, but don't know what the availability is. How is it? Good? Bad? Any experiences/comments on durability/reloadability/consistency would be appreciated! BTW, I don't really hot rod any of my .284 reloads too much, so (hopefully) the pressures aren't up in the range that will encourage the primer pockets to loosen up early.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
again not a 284 but i bought 50pcs of peterson 260 brass and ran it hard for 5 loads and pockets were still tight...140s and 142s at 2920ish...only 5 loads because i stopped shooting the 260...peterson or lapua...personally i prefer lapua if they make 284 brass.

again not a 284 but i bought 50pcs of peterson 260 brass and ran it hard for 5 loads and pockets were still tight...140s and 142s at 2920ish...only 5 loads because i stopped shooting the 260...peterson or lapua...personally i prefer lapua if they make 284 brass.
Yeah...I wish LAPUA made straight 284. It always seems silly to me to take the "6.5-284 offspring/wildcat that made the commercial market" and turn it back into the parent cartridge!

Last edited:

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have to admit when I saw Winch donuts in the title, I thought you were talking about Winchell’s Donuts. I’ve read about donuts in regard to reloading, but have not experienced it. If you look at my avatar you can see where I’m coming from…..