• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

.38 Spl Rifle for Coyotes?

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I recently acquired a new rifle in .38 spl / .357 magnum, with a 16-inch barrel, thinking it would make a good (somewhat quiet) coyote rifle for around home (5-acre parcels). Shooting lead 158 grain simi wad cutters at about 800 FPS. It’s what I would call .22 quiet, my question is, is this enough to anchor a coyote? I only shoot them in the winter, for good prime pelts.

While I’m on good terms with all my neighbors, I’m not wanting to go chasing coyotes across their property with a rifle in my hands….. Shots would likely be 70 yards and in…. My ARs are just too noisy even if my neighbors don’t have an issue with it….

Thanks for any advice….

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
With good shot placement, yes....... BUT BARELY. No room for mistakes. You'll only have about 200 foot pound of power, not a lot. With +P ammo (1150 FPS) you'd be at 400 Foot pounds, much better.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
With good shot placement, yes....... BUT BARELY. No room for mistakes. You'll only have about 200 foot pound of power, not a lot. With +P ammo (1150 FPS) you'd be at 400 Foot pounds, much better.
Yes much better, but louder as well, I reload all my own ammunition so I can tune it. Just want it not super loud.... Because, well....I try to be a good neighbor.....

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
The wind is going to kick that big slow bullet around alot. I wouldn't want to cripple one.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Any thoughts on getting (or Form 1'ing) a can? Even with supers it brings the volume down substantially.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Any thoughts on getting (or Form 1'ing) a can? Even with supers it brings the volume down substantially.
It's a Rossi lever action, just don't think I could bring myself to put a can on it...:eek: otherwise not a bad idea!

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Sorry, I was thinking more about the AR you mentioned. Didn't figure the lever was one of the (fancy) new threaded ones. Shots are still 'loud' but are way, way quieter than an unsuppressed AR, down from 165+ to below 140db (lower 130s with a decent one).