• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

6.5 grendel

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
AR-15 with Hardened Arms upper with 26" bull barrel and AAC 7.62 SDN-6 suppressor. 8" groups at 650 yards from bipod with 123-gr Hornady A-Max handloads.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Unless you have some 'common ammo' restriction, there are much better rounds for use in a bolt-gun that are around the same cost, or just a tad more, as the per-round cost of grendel.

Grendel was made to work within the restrictions of a standard AR-15 mag well, and it does yeoman's work given those restrictions (right barrel, right ammo load, 800Y and low MOA is quite doable). That said, you'd be better served in a different caliber for a bolt gun. (Again, unless you are sharing across platforms and have other considerations)

Last edited:
At this point am just messing around really I already have a 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots like a dream. Am just curious as to the capabilities of the round and wondering if its something that could be a fun project in the furure.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
If you want an AR platform to ring steel on relatively small targets at 800Y, Grendel will get you there quite doably. Cost per round is not much less for factory ammo than your Creedmoor, however.

Reloading it will save a bit, but not much depending on what bullets you end up with for your loads.

I've assembled and fussed about with several grendel builds (because I enjoy fussing about, apparently) over the last handful of years. No expert by any means, but the cost curve gets kind of steep if you start looking at higher-end 6.5 barrels. My JP is more precise than my BA build, but in the cost per mm of improvement, its certainly not 3x better. Always given the limitations of the shooter (me), of course :)

I just got a bunch of MDT gift cards and they just came out with a chassis that uses AR mags. I have a ruger american ranch rifle 7.62x39 sitting around. Now I know that round is not the best but that rifle groups sub MOA with cheap wolf and S&B ammo (100yds) and I wouldn’t attempt any shots past 400-500. I was wondering if I pick you this chassis play around with the RAR then eventually pick up a RAP 6.5 grendel and swap them out.