• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

70 year old Browning A5

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I found this old girl in a gun shop and after kicking it around for a day I decided that I had to have it. It had no butt pad, gun was full of rust and so gummed that it hardly worked. After I got it home I asked NYECO what I needed, he said screwdrivers. So after ordering screwdrivers and waiting for weeks I was ready to disassemble. Before, sorry I didn’t take more before pics.
1560260494158.jpg

I completely stripped it. Then I soaked it in rust remover, it cleaned all of the old bluing and rust off. Then I used some scotch pads to finish it.
1560260408865.jpg
After I had her all stripped and finished I applied cold blue to the barrel and receiver.

1560260653056.jpg
After that I reassembled everything and put the new recoil pad on. I sanded it down as in @NYECOGunsmith how to thread. It worked good, except I didn’t use enough tape, and now I need to refinish the stock.
I think it turned out good.
1560260872133.jpg

1560260898475.jpg

1560260955101.jpg

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Well, I haven’t shot it yet, so don’t get your hopes up Steve.😂

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Good looking old shotty man, put any rounds through it yet. These were featured on one of the Wednesday night at the range shows a week or so ago. I’m looking at them now on Gunbroker, probably going to be my next purchase.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Somehow I missed this when you posted it before.

You did a fine restore job on a classic!

I have a rounded, mid 50’s savage version that was dads. She is in good shape, but has not been shot in well over 30 years. I need to get her out on the range again.

Yep, we put a box of shells threw it trap shooting. She runs great. Thanks

DeanD

Summerlin
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Great job, looks good! These old A5's are of awesome quality and very reliable. I inherited one that hadn't been cleaned in over 50 years and I did about the same things you did to bring it back to life. I did put a new recoil spring and friction ring in it, the old one was way gone! Took it apart and it too was gummed up but there was absolutely no wear on any surfaces, just smooth as glass. I picked up an 8+1 tube and a Hastings barrel with screw-in choke (cylinder bore). Didn't really need the Hastings barrel but scored a bargain. Makes a really good defense shotgun if you don't want to shoot skeet or hunt because they are so reliable and will operate as fast as you can pull the trigger. Never had a jam out of this one, don't think you can make it jam. Point being it isn't necessary to have some cool Rambo Benelli to keep bad guys away.

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
You have such good taste Dean, that is one beautiful firearm (y)(y)(y)(y)(y).

LVTrenton

Living the dream
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Nice restoration! An A5 is on my list of "wants" - especially if I can get into an NRA LE class.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
My grandfather had one. Unfortunately, the kids got ahold of it after he died and it ended up at a pawn store (like many of them did) within the last 5 or so years. Looked exactly the same (who knows.......). Beautiful gun!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Awesome work! Looks great. I love bringing something back to life, whether its in its original form, or in a modified form that better suits your needs.