• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ammo recommendations or loads for Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 5.56?

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I picked up a few of the Ruger American Ranch Rifles in the past month or so. Two shot well with ammo I typically load or buy. The 5.56 version, however, was disappointing with some of the basic factory ammo I shoot, and did not play well with my various AR-based handloads.

I wanted to inquire if anyone has had a good handload recipe, or, alternately, if you've found other decent factory ammo (besides the Hornday Match I tried, below) that shoots well with this rifle.

After the first not great results from last weekend, I picked up a few boxes of various factory ammo and went out this morning at my usual civil twilight shooting time at BRPC and just ran a simple pattern of three-shot reference groups (100Y, bench, Nikon M223 3-12x set to 8X, ~44F, no wind, unsuppressed)

• Speer Gold Dot 64gr GDSP : ~0.625" (5/8")
  • Federal AE M855 62gr : ~1.5"
  • Hornady 73gr ELD Match : ~0.6875 (11/16")
  • Hornady 75gr BTHP Match : ~0.4375 (7/16")
  • PMC 55gr HPBT SGK : ~0.6875 (11/16") (never used this before; got as part of a trade, did better than I thought it would)
  • PMC Bronze 55gr FMJ : A bit over 2" (usually does very good with my BA barrels on ARs, not disappointing for bulk, but not great)
  • Tula 55gr FMJ : ~5.0" (use this in my Beryl Archer, so tried it just to see how bad it would be...)
I may pick up a few boxes of that Hornady 75gr BTHP bullet to work up a load from. Anyone else with experience loading for this rifle, any input is appreciated. Its not meant to be a match shooter, I just like to get a good load of my own going.

RARR556_7 Ammo 020820.jpg
RARR556_5 Ammo Ruler 020820.jpg

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Got a few boxes of the Hornady "Frontier" 5.56 75gr HPBT in yesterday. Wasn't planning on going to the range this morning but I was up stupidly early for unknown reasons so...

Forgot both my normal targets and my ruler so didn't get to take ruler measurements until I got home. First two sets are fresh targets, next 2 are same targets pastied and reused, the final one is a fresh third target. Why the magpul sight adjuster? It measures exactly 1" at the widest point...if you're foolish and forget your ruler at home, :) ). (100Y, bench, Nikon M223 3-12x set to 8X, ~40F, no wind, unsuppressed, sighting adjustments between sets)

Left to right:
Group1: (rough) a tad over 1"
Group2: (rough) ~1"
Group3: ~13/16" (0.8125")
Group4: ~5/8" (0.625")
Group5: ~1 5/16" (1.3125") - 6 shot group (3 round group after final sighting adj., and a 3 round confirmation group)

RARR556_Composit_all_sml.jpg

With the results from last time and this set today, I ordered a box of 100 of that Hornady 75gr BTHP bullet to try some hand loads with (and a box of the 73gr ELD from the last batch). Just need to see if I can get close with any of my powders on hand. Again, not looking for perfection, just a round that shoots decent that isn't a buck each for range shooting :) Edit: Thinking I might pick up a box of those SGK (Sierra Game King) 55gr HPBT bullets from the first post as well.

Once I get a few batches loaded, I'll post my load results if I get anything decent worked up if anyone that might own this rifle is interested.

Edit: Trigger pull measures at very consistent 4.5#. I think I'll lower that down to about 3-3.5#.

Last edited: