• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"ammo shortage"

O
Was over at Sportsmans Wherehouse (Las Vegas) yesterday. They had 30+ boxes of Blazer Brass 9mm which they just got in, sitting on a shelf for sale. Selling for $13.19 a box of 50. Limit 3 boxes per person. No price gouging going on there. I bought 3 boxes.
h man I was gonna go but figured they had nothing again. Oh well

Gullwing

"Gunsmith"
Staff member
Was over at Sportsmans Wherehouse (Las Vegas) yesterday. They had 30+ boxes of Blazer Brass 9mm which they just got in, sitting on a shelf for sale. Selling for $13.19 a box of 50. Limit 3 boxes per person. No price gouging going on there. I bought 3 boxes.
Big box stores are price set so can't adjust to current conditions. If in the right spot at the right time you are golden. If not... doesn't matter.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
in the aftermath of the Connecticut shooting, sportsman’s did a pretty good job of not raking customers over the coals. Price wise.

The only issue was learning the delivery dates to be there. There was a line at opening and limits, but they were good about it.

A number of folks, like me, were even on the local news, queued up for the door opening.

Good to see them trying.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
in the aftermath of the Connecticut shooting, sportsman’s did a pretty good job of not raking customers over the coals. Price wise.
It wasn't out of altruism. They are just too large to have a mechanism in place to respond to such rapid fluctuations in price. Shareholders could make the argument that they are irritated that they were selling stuff far below the market conditions at the time.

garand_guy

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
What time did you go?

It wasn't out of altruism. They are just too large to have a mechanism in place to respond to such rapid fluctuations in price. Shareholders could make the argument that they are irritated that they were selling stuff far below the market conditions at the time.
Maybe.

But it's honestly NOT very difficult to raise prices on specific items or categories of items like ammo - this isn't a disjointed collection of ma and pa shops with stickers on the boxes for prices.

IMO, just as likely that someone made a decision NOT to gouge or take advantage of customers in order to promote brand/customer loyalty - which is probably more important in the market that an outdoor sporting goods store competes in, than for many other businesses.

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
Maybe.

But it's honestly NOT very difficult to raise prices on specific items or categories of items like ammo - this isn't a disjointed collection of ma and pa shops with stickers on the boxes for prices.

IMO, just as likely that someone made a decision NOT to gouge or take advantage of customers in order to promote brand/customer loyalty - which is probably more important in the market that an outdoor sporting goods store competes in, than for many other businesses.
Gouging is a great way to lose customers. People are fickle and will take their money elsewhere in a heartbeat if given a reason to. The bigger box stores rely on volume and run on tighter margins, which is why their prices are lower. It also gets people in the door to buy other stuff. If they raise prices to the moon on ammo, it takes away a reason for people to shop there, so they not only lose some ammo sales, but also sales on other items that people would have purchased there as well. They likely understand that their bottom line will be served best by keeping their prices competetive, to keep their customers happy.

This time I'm really at the point of saying **ck it and buying a Dillion 1050 to go into business for myself. I'm tired of these panics.

In March for the first time In years I was enjoying browsing gun.deals for $200 m&p shields, $300 Beretta APX's, and $170 for 1000 rounds bulk.

Now I'm just broke depressed and kicking myself because the 1000rd pack I got for $180 in March is now $800.

This crap is ridiculous.

Last edited:

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
This time I'm really at the point of saying **ck it and buying a Dillion 1050 to go into business for myself. I'm tired of these panics.

In March for the first time In years I was enjoying browsing gun.deals for $200 m&p shields, $300 Beretta APX's, and $170 for 1000 rounds bulk.

Now I'm just broke depressed and kicking myself because the 1000rd pack I got for $180 in March is now $800.

This crap is ridiculous.
The deal now is components. Having reloading equipment does you no good if you can’t get supplies to run it. A few years ago, it was difficult to find pistol powder, this time it’s very difficult to fine primers, especially small pistol primers. So, the rule of, “Buy it cheap, and stack it deep” still applies. For me, my plan has always been, when I get down to 10,000 primers of a particular size (about 6 months’ worth) I start shopping. The current situation has shown me, that’s not nearly enough, to weather this kind of storm. I need to increase inventory by at least a factor of 4!

This too, will likely pass, but who knows how long it will take. I’m still good though the end of the year, but depending on how the election goes….. It’s hard to say if that’s enough…..

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
The deal now is components. Having reloading equipment does you no good if you can’t get supplies to run it. A few years ago, it was difficult to find pistol powder, this time it’s very difficult to fine primers, especially small pistol primers. So, the rule of, “Buy it cheap, and stack it deep” still applies. For me, my plan has always been, when I get down to 10,000 primers of a particular size (about 6 months’ worth) I start shopping. The current situation has shown me, that’s not nearly enough, to weather this kind of storm. I need to increase inventory by at least a factor of 4!

This too, will likely pass, but who knows how long it will take. I’m still good though the end of the year, but depending on how the election goes….. It’s hard to say if that’s enough…..
And that’s if you don’t have to dispurse any in a logistically prescribed manner!

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?

This crap is ridiculous.
This is why you stock up when prices are low. So many people get comfortable when times are good and just think they will just buy what they want to shoot every few months or once a year when they hit the range for an afternoon. When times are good and ammo is cheap, THAT is the time when you should feel a sense of urgency and stock up heavy. Trying to do so now is just foolish. When times are good and ammo is cheap, stretching your budget uncomfortably tight will result in a big stockpile, you'll have something serious to show for it. Stretching your budget tight now will only depress you more later when you have so little to show for it.

I used to have a Lee Progressive press, reloaded several pistol calibers for about a decade - started when I lived back east.

When I moved to Vegas, was surprised at how little the local stores seemed to carry in the way of reloading supplies - and this was 15-20 years ago so online ordering wasn't as much of a thing. Couple of guys at gun stores told me "not alot of people reload out here" which I thought was odd.

After I reloaded all of the component I had on hand, the press sat and gathered dust until I finally just threw it in the trash prob 2005.

I got so tired of people calling me to ask if I'll sell a few boxes of ammo to them when I told them I think that it's going to be their last chance to buy was around March or April after the first wave of panic buyers was dying off, the first thing I say when I answer the phone is, "hey I was just about to call you and ask you if you know of there's anywhere with cheap ammo?.

Last edited:
I used to have a Lee Progressive press, reloaded several pistol calibers for about a decade - started when I lived back east.

When I moved to Vegas, was surprised at how little the local stores seemed to carry in the way of reloading supplies - and this was 15-20 years ago so online ordering wasn't as much of a thing. Couple of guys at gun stores told me "not alot of people reload out here" which I thought was odd.

After I reloaded all of the component I had on hand, the press sat and gathered dust until I finally just threw it in the trash prob 2005.
Rays Beaver Bag , Accuracy , Bills Buy & Sell , back then there were lots of options. Heck remember when you could buy powder at Longs Drugs Store ? :) But even 20 years ago I still ordered 8# kegs of powder from Powder Valley ( 2 kegs per crate ).

longs.jpg