• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Anybody reloading 7mm Rem Mag?

1browski

Very Active Member
Last year I was trying some 168g berger vld with H1000 and Hornady brass. I couldnt get them consistent. I later started try out the hornady 162g eld-m with H1000 and same brass. Hunting season came around So I loaded up 10 of a lighter load, dialed scope in for an antelope. I just recently started back on this load search. I am not chasing max velocities, just good accuracy. I ended up settling at 66.6g of H1000 at factory length. This was shooting about 3025fps and slightly tighter than 1/2" groups. All loads were shot with a chrono strapped to the barrel. Next, I changed the lengths and loaded some .010", .040", and .070" off the lands and they started flinging everywhere. Anyone have things get worse before when shortening the jump? And, how do you like the H1000 if you use it? The only other of the extreme powders I have used is the 4064 which I like in the 308 with 175g bullets. My brother is using the 7828sc but he hasnt touched it in over a year and about to get back on it. Just looking for any conclusions any have come to with loading components on the 7mm RM.

My Savage 110 with 26" McGowan likes 175eldx with 62.8 of 7828ssc @2.658 running 2910. It's not the fastest but shoots cloverleafs. Start low & work up. 4x4 Brit has a 7mag so he may chime in here.

BW

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
I've had a lot of success with ELD-M bullets. With H1000 I have loaded them from 66gr through 69.5gr with sub moa accuracy. My sweet spots were 66gr and 68gr under the 162gr. Those gave me around 2950 and 3035 respectively. I had been shooting them at a mile but couldn't quite land the hits and danced all around the target. Based on that, I stepped up to the 180gr ELD-M and with 66.5gr of H1000, I managed to stay comfortably supersonic at a mile. That made the difference and got me hits.

I've also loaded the regular Hornady Match 162gr with 7828 at 63gr and those gave me sub minute results also. Not as accurate as the ELD-M but more than acceptable. Velocity was around 2925 in cooler weather.

1browski

Very Active Member
Im planning on staying with the eld-m bullets and the h1000 for now. I went to grab one more pound from sportsmans warehouse but they were out of it. Good thing Im not out yet. Maybe I will shoot some more groups without the chrono and verify the loads. Have you messed with overall lengths on your loads or just sticking to a factory length of 3.29". Thats where my things started going crazy. What type rifle are you using? Im using a Rem700LR. I had a trigger job and muzzle brake put on for comfort. It shoots smooth. Just need to get it dialed in.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
For my 7mm I stay with h4831. Get good accuracy out of my r700 and can run the lighter pills all the way up to 162+. Around the time I settled on imr8208 on 223 and 308 is where I settled on this powder.. for simplicity sake.

As for jump.. I think it’s rifle specific. Mine likes .08 jump with 4831 with 140-170 grain pills which is mainly what I run. Loaded some light 120 but couldn’t get the group below 1.5 at 100 yards. I will say cci magnum primers gave better results for me than Remington or Winchester large magnum.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
Im planning on staying with the eld-m bullets and the h1000 for now. I went to grab one more pound from sportsmans warehouse but they were out of it. Good thing Im not out yet. Maybe I will shoot some more groups without the chrono and verify the loads. Have you messed with overall lengths on your loads or just sticking to a factory length of 3.29". Thats where my things started going crazy. What type rifle are you using? Im using a Rem700LR. I had a trigger job and muzzle brake put on for comfort. It shoots smooth. Just need to get it dialed in.
I have the same rifle. I added a Karsten cheek rest, a Trigger Tech trigger, Silencerco brake and bottom metal to take an AICS mag. I load to .020 off the lands which fits well within the magazine. It's a nice set up and the barrel is ridiculously accurate for a factory barrel.

1browski

Very Active Member
Thanks for the help. I think I will stick with same components for another pound of powder and 100 bullets. I think I will also drop the chrono off the rifle barrel to confirm the 66.6g load is still shooting good without it. Then maybe try overall length tests again. On the primers, I normally use winchester for everything. On these loads I have been using the remington, mostly to finally get rid of them.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
Have to go with what works for your rifle. Even though we have the same model, no two rifles are quite exactly the same. I use the CCI BR2 primers currently. I have also used Gold Medal Match. Both are non magnum primers but are benchrest/match style primers. Some say they are hooey but they are part of the equation for me that has given ES numbers in the teens and occasionally high single digit. Those kinds of ES make a difference at longer ranges (1k plus).

For my 7mm I stay with h4831. Get good accuracy out of my r700 and can run the lighter pills all the way up to 162+. Around the time I settled on imr8208 on 223 and 308 is where I settled on this powder.. for simplicity sake.

As for jump.. I think it’s rifle specific. Mine likes .08 jump with 4831 with 140-170 grain pills which is mainly what I run. Loaded some light 120 but couldn’t get the group below 1.5 at 100 yards. I will say cci magnum primers gave better results for me than Remington or Winchester large magnum.
I also use 4831 and it seems my 7mm mag prefers the 175 spbt does good with that up to 1500 at least it hits the steel. barrel 24" 1 in 9 3/4 twist

Last year I was trying some 168g berger vld with H1000 and Hornady brass. I couldnt get them consistent. I later started try out the hornady 162g eld-m with H1000 and same brass. Hunting season came around So I loaded up 10 of a lighter load, dialed scope in for an antelope. I just recently started back on this load search. I am not chasing max velocities, just good accuracy. I ended up settling at 66.6g of H1000 at factory length. This was shooting about 3025fps and slightly tighter than 1/2" groups. All loads were shot with a chrono strapped to the barrel. Next, I changed the lengths and loaded some .010", .040", and .070" off the lands and they started flinging everywhere. Anyone have things get worse before when shortening the jump? And, how do you like the H1000 if you use it? The only other of the extreme powders I have used is the 4064 which I like in the 308 with 175g bullets. My brother is using the 7828sc but he hasnt touched it in over a year and about to get back on it. Just looking for any conclusions any have come to with loading components on the 7mm RM.
sub .5 MOA and your dickering?