• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Anyone here have a hydraulic press.

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Any members have a hydraulic press, I’m wanting to replace u joints in both driveshafts on my 4 runner. I’m thinking maybe 20 minutes to punch the old ones out and I’m gone. Gladly pay you say $50 Or whatever you’d like for the time, or offer up couple hundred rounds 9mm factory ammo. I have everything to beat them out, the press makes it so much easier.

If you can help me out please PM me or post here. I have to order my new u joints so probably won’t be ready for a week or two.

I was quoted $400 per shaft locally and would rather just DIY.

Thank you.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I don't know how many U-joints I've changed (a lot) without a press, where are you located?

SixshooterSam

A ball joint press(clamp) works as well, if you have one or have access to one. You can usually rent them from O'reilly, and the rental costs nothing if you return it within the allotted time.

I did my share of them back in the day without a press as well. Just a hammer, an appropriate size socket, and a couple blocks of wood. Not ideal, but I'd do my own at home before I'd pay someone $400 to do it. Hell, I'd spend $200 to buy a Harbor Freight hydraulic press before I'd pay someone $400 just to do some u-joints. Unless your driveshaft is super rusty or damaged, there's no reason it should cost anywhere near that to have them done by a shop. Even being generous with labor time and hourly rate, it should be half that, at most. They must want to balance the shaft afterwards as well, which is completely unnecessary as long as you keep it clocked the same way.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...gh-ball-joint-u-joint-press-set/67045/4700260

Use that ball joint clamp with the appropriate size sockets or piece of scrap iron pipe and you should be good.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’ve done a (poop)load myself over my lifetime. I had a press, I bought it for building 1919 kits, I used it for some u joints in my old K10 and I remember how much nicer is was to use over beating the crap out of them, especially on the cv joints, which I have on the front.

Unfortunately when Cam passed away I was never able to get it out of the garage. God bless you brother I sure miss you.

Anyway, I’m in Vegas TexasJackin. If not it’s cool I found a small jobber for like $80 at harbor freight. Just don‘t see using one much outside of this job.

Thanks

Thanks bones, that’s what I had but don’t really want to buy another one for just one job.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Anyway, I’m in Vegas TexasJackin. If not it’s cool I found a small jobber for like $80 at harbor freight. Just don‘t see using one much outside of this job.
Yeah, I'm up in Dayton (about 12 miles east of Carson City) so it's probably not going to be to handy for you to swing by......

SixshooterSam

I’ve done a (poop)load myself over my lifetime. I had a press, I bought it for building 1919 kits, I used it for some u joints in my old K10 and I remember how much nicer is was to use over beating the crap out of them, especially on the cv joints, which I have on the front.

Unfortunately when Cam passed away I was never able to get it out of the garage. God bless you brother I sure miss you.

Thanks

Thanks bones, that’s what I had but don’t really want to buy another one for just one job.
Just rent a ball joint clamp from O'reilly. When I get to the shop in a bit I'll take a picture showing how I would do it with one if you like. Pretty easy. Much better solution than hammering, yet cheaper than buying a press or paying someone to do it.

Bonez

As a jeep owner that has spent a lot of time rock crawling I've had the unfortunate experience of having to replace plenty of ujoints in my day. I've always used a C-Clamp with a chunk of wood, a larger socket (popping out) + a slightly smaller size socket (press in) to press u-joints out/in to the drive shaft & axle shafts. It's a lot easier than hauling a hydraulic press around on the trail :p

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have the C clamps and all, I really appreciate everyone’s help and advice. Trust me I can handle it either way, what’s that saying ? I’ve been doing everything with nothing for so long I can do anything with something......frick it’s something like that LOL.

If no one has a press it’s fine, it’s just a luxury and that’s all I was looking for. And Thank you TexasJackin for the offer (y)

And cool Bonez, I’m running stock IFS on my 4Runner but I’m looking.......hopefully near October I’ll be in a full front end tear down for a solid axle replacement :p I’m actually going Friday to look at one.

Last edited:

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Ok, Bones Cisneros I sent you a PM

Last edited:

Bumper

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I have a Sunnent BP-10 and a Harbor F 20 ton, but I'm up north a ways (assuming you're in Lost Wages.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yes, forgot to mention that, I’m in North Las Vegas Actually. Thank you Bumper.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Kieth and Harley, Thank you very much ! And dang it, I’ve been sitting here for a few days thinking of who I knew with a press and Harley I should have checked with you...Thank you brother.

Bones Cisneros and I have a deal going for Tacos and Beer ;) ! I really, really appreciate everyone coming through.

You’all are great (y).

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
And just for fun, removed cause that was racist.....LOL.

Last edited:

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have the C clamps and all, I really appreciate everyone’s help and advice. Trust me I can handle it either way, what’s that saying ? I’ve been doing everything with nothing for so long I can do anything with something......frick it’s something like that LOL.

If no one has a press it’s fine, it’s just a luxury and that’s all I was looking for. And Thank you TexasJackin for the offer (y)
I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do practically anything with nothing.....