• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Anyone in Northern Nevada have any Jeep wrangler parts?

turborich

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Just bought an 89 Jeep wrangler and looking for any parts I may need to make it a reliable vehicle for desert exploring. It has the 4.2 liter carbureted engine and 5 speed trans. I don't have much money to spend on it, so if you've got some cheap parts I could use please let me know. From what I can tell the main things I need is a good functioning carburetor, a set of tires (current ones are very old) windshield and whatever else? Figured I'd try here and try saving some money first! It's the first Jeep I've ever bought so not all that familiar with them. Located up north near Reno.

Thanks!

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Craigslist for tires and parts .....
Bunch of 4x4 off-roaders in FB as well

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Just bought an 89 Jeep wrangler and looking for any parts I may need to make it a reliable vehicle for desert exploring. It has the 4.2 liter carbureted engine and 5 speed trans. I don't have much money to spend on it, so if you've got some cheap parts I could use please let me know. From what I can tell the main things I need is a good functioning carburetor, a set of tires (current ones are very old) windshield and whatever else? Figured I'd try here and try saving some money first! It's the first Jeep I've ever bought so not all that familiar with them. Located up north near Reno.

Thanks!
I have a '90 and '93 YJ Wranlger. Both 6 cyl. with autos, but if I can help with advice, give a holler.

-

Carb and electrical - do the 'Nutter bypass' and don't look back. It'll save a lot of headaches later. Unless you're in a 'smog county''.

If the trac bars are still there, take 'em off. They only restrict the leaf springs, producing a stiffer ride.

You'll also want to upgrade the distributor to an HEI. Or I'll sell my MSD 6AL and Accel coil setup, with mounts, for $200.

Tires - Depends on what lift (for clearance) and gearing. (If you're local . . . Pahrump, LV, etc., I have a set of 5 factory alloy rims w/ basically new tires, 31x10.50x15 A/T. Spare never used, still has the nubs. $400. Tires are only 2 years old, been garaged.) Can post pics.

Also have a complete heater assembly. Took mine out since it's a fair weather trail rig only.

-

I recommend joining the Wrangler Forum, https://www.wranglerforum.com/ and the Jeep Forum, https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/

More info than you'll ever need! I'm on both, same user name.

Good luck!

Bob

Last edited:

velvetant

Lurker (.22LR)
Try the Reno4x4 forum.
Not as much traffic as years ago when I joined up but someone should be able to help with extra parts.
I have an 03TJ so I can't help with spare parts

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter

Thanks!
Also, if you're smog exempt and need a new carb, ditch the Carter. Most people go with a Weber or Motorcraft conversion. I'm running a Rochester.

turborich

Thanks for the advice guys. I just put new tires on yesterday. I was thinking about doing the nutter bypass. There's no emissions here, but it's all original California emissions that's totally intact and working so I'm a bit hesitant about removing it just yet.

turborich

Has the original bbd carburetor, but actually runs amazingly well. If I experience problems in the future then I'll most likely do the nutter and go with an aftermarket carburetor. For now it runs very well.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
After the Nutter, carb change and Posilok. And cleaning the spaghetti mess under the dash. :)
DSCN0661.JPG

It all started when the plastic housing on the BBD broke. While researching a replacement, I found plenty of info for the mods, and now I can actually work on the critter without needing to possess an electrical engineering degree!

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
/Dealer (pointing at pile of parts): Ma'am, here's all the parts we had to replace to fix your carburetor problem.

:ROFLMAO:

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
OMG! That's a lot of stuff removed!

What differences did you notice after doing the nutter bypass?
I have no baseline to compare it. The BBD was broken when I got the Jeep, which started me down the road to this transformation. :)

(Air cleaner and tail light upgrade optional.)

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Looks like pair of control arms in there as well. :)

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Looks like pair of control arms in there as well. :)
Trac bars, not to be confused with sway bars. Totally unnecessary, and actually detrimental, on a leaf sprung vehicle.