AOW ("Any Other Weapon") legal in NV?

msw

uber n00b
I could not find any specific reference to AOW's (for example, a pen gun) in the NRS. Can anyone point me to the applicable section in the NRS? Is there one?

Grumpyoldretiredcop

uber Member
Forum Supporter
I hope they are, I'm waiting for my stamp and my AOW is in company jail... :p Seriously, you most often won't find what's permitted in the law books, you'll find what is prohibited. Nothing in the NRS prohibits purchase and possession of AOWs by non-prohibited persons with the appropriate tax stamp, therefore they are legal in NV. That's why you can't find any references therein.

If you happen to be in Northern NV, go to nfaprints.com, Lewis will answer your questions and does an outstanding service doing fingerprints, photos, all the forms and filings.

Last edited:

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
AOW’s are not prohibited by law. NRS only prohibits short barreled rifles/shotguns, suppressors and full autos (which are all allowable if they have the stamp). As long as your weapon fits the AOW category and isn’t actually one of the above, it’s not illegal in our state.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
Note however that the concealed carry law was changed in 2013 to restrict concealed carry to firearms that are federally determined to be handguns. ATF holds that many firearms that are similar to handguns are not handguns because they are not "designed to be held and fired with a single hand". Thus if you put a foregrip on your pistol, this may be legal to own with the stamp, but it ceases to be a handgun under federal law and therefore ceases to be legal to carry concealed.

In 2013 when the ban was proposed in the legislature (under the guise of simplifying CCW qualification standards according to the Republican Sponsors of the bill,) the Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association took the stand specifically to complain about permit holders carrying concealed NFA weapons, although they were mainly concerned with short barreled rifles and shotguns and not AOWs.

msw

uber n00b
AOW’s are not prohibited by law. NRS only prohibits short barreled rifles/shotguns, suppressors and full autos (which are all allowable if they have the stamp). As long as your weapon fits the AOW category and isn’t actually one of the above, it’s not illegal in our state.
Jfrey1123, so just to confirm: all NFA items, sbr's, suppressors, full autos, etc, are all legal for C3 Dealers to possess and sell, and law abiding Nevadans to possess? Can't wait till I become a full time NV resident!

Tozan

uber n00b
Jfrey1123, so just to confirm: all NFA items, sbr's, suppressors, full autos, etc, are all legal for C3 Dealers to possess and sell, and law abiding Nevadans to possess? Can't wait till I become a full time NV resident!
Yes, all Class III weapons you mentioned above plus Destructive devices too.

Legal *IF* you go through the proper FFL/ATF channels.
Actually you can obtain them without going through a FFL or Class III dealer. You only have to go through the NFA branch. If someone has a form 4 weapon they can transfer it directly to the new buyer.

plodder

not so noob
Forum Supporter
Careful there pardner! It all starts out as fun & games as you get a stamp for your first silencer, then another or 2 or 3, then a couple of SBRs, then why not a machine gun or 2. First thing you know you have a dozen stamps and the hardware that they allow you to possess. It's a sordid, bottomless venture!