• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

AR-15 for hunting

broke_again

Recreational Shooter
.223 will get the job done and done well. I just used my SBR to kill some hogs very effectively even with marginal shots. Check out my post in this section. Cartridge selection is very important when using a relatively small round.

USAFshooter

Obsessed Member
My first deer was killed with a 30-06 springfield. Cartridge was a remington 180gr core-lokt. the Deer litterally dropped in its tracks. I'm confident it didnt feel a thing

Psywarrior

When we went we had 2 instructors. One guy was an older fellow maybe...late 70's and a CCWer and a great guy, Ex-Air Force and very knowledgeable. The other guy...well...aside from being a sexist and a bit of a half wit...well...he still was bad, lol.
They do their best at trying to keep your attention which was very nice. You are not just sitting there the whole time bored out of your skull. I can tell you more if you want to know it just shoot me a message. Also if you do get these two listen to the CCWer he was dead on when it comes to carrying and hunting. We had a ranger come in and correct the other guy, lol.

Back to the 223, one thing to remember about it is that this round was designed not so much to kill but to wound. When the bullet enters it somersaults and very often fractures causing multiple wound channels.

Remember in military terms this is better because if you kill one person that is just one person out of the fight. If you wound someone then they are out and the opposing force needs to tend to him which means that another soldier or possible two will have to take care of him which takes more out of the combat situation. Also I use the term him in general, I do understand and acknowledge that there are many women soldiers in this day and age.

As for the 50, I thought you would blast apart the deer or elk to kingdom-come but if you check out this site... http://www.50beowulf.com/bboard/forum.php there are some photos that are graphic in nature that show that the damage really is not bad. Much less than I thought it would be. Granted there are a few stories of much more damage...such as head shots which obviously would not be...pleasant but in the vital area really is not that bad. You figure there is little meat in the rib area anyway.
First of all, that is majorly wrong!!! the 5.56 MM round was designed to kill the human animal (up to 250 lbs) "humanely". The Geneva and Hague conventions frown on rounds that are designed to cause needless suffering. any round that was specifically designed to wound is in direct violation of the International Laws of Land Warfare (G&H Conventions). One of the reasons that .mil uses FMJ rounds is that there is less chance of tip damage reducing accuracy and causing an injurious non lethal hit as well as fragmentary damage in case of a non vital hit.

Now, back to the original question. Depending on the size of the animal. I would not recommend it for elk or moose. However, the smaller members of the deer family (white tail, antelope etc...) can be legally and humanely hunted with an AR. I would recommend a 60+ grain round but consider the rifling on your particular barrel when choosing the round. Heavier rounds like the 77Gr prefer faster twists like the 1 in 7 while the lighter rounds prefer a slower 1 in 9 twist rate. A 1 in 8 will give you moderate accuracy across the board but you will want to try to find what weight round your particular rifle likes best. Find various "range" rounds in different weights and then spend the duckets on hunting rounds in that weight category. No matter what round (or caliber) you use, shot placement is ALWAYS important. Even if you hit with a 30+ caliber round, if you gut shoot bambi, it will needlessly suffer. Head or neck shots are fine, but remember your own personal limits and that you are only half as good in the real world as you are on the range.

Psywarrior

I wouldnt even consider shooting a whitetail with a .223 much less a mulie. thats a VERY small round for an animal that size. Yes in a survival situation thats different, but hunting for sport, its just irresponsible and unethical.
Check post above. If the round can kill a human up to 250 lbs (The weight specified for development of the round) and is used by armies all over the world to do that with an non frangible round, I do believe that a round in that caliber designed for hunting will do the job most effectively. You don't need a cannon to kill animals under 200 pounds humanely.

USAFshooter

Obsessed Member
Check post above. If the round can kill a human up to 250 lbs (The weight specified for development of the round) and is used by armies all over the world to do that with an non frangible round, I do believe that a round in that caliber designed for hunting will do the job most effectively. You don't need a cannon to kill animals under 200 pounds humanely.
you're missing the point. this is about making a consious decision to hunt with a .223. the decision to use a larger caliber is just as easy. why go that small when you dont have to? yes, you can kill a deer with a .223, but should you? IMO no, and if I saw someone doing it, I would seriously question their ethical values, and the respect they have for the animal they're hunting.

Personally, I wouldnt go with anything less than a .270. If you want to use an AR platform (which I totally understand, I've thought about it myself), I'd go with an AR-10 in .308

Psywarrior

No need for the overly expensive AR10 platform. You could go with a 6.5 grendel or a 6.8 SPC and stick with the 15. My point is that it has a lot to do with the size of the target animal. Antelope are quite small. White tail are small compared to muleys. Either of these would be a quick clean kill with the 5.56/223 round. Any animal that averages over 200 pounds, I would recommend against any body shots and go only for head shots when well within range and capability. I prefer a .308 fudd gun for bambi myself, but do know of quite a few people that use the AR15 for hunting the smaller deer, hogs and the smaller varieties of bear. Most of the deer varieties are large in the region, but I am from TN and most are of the smaller white tail. 150 Pounds is a good sized animal and very easily and humanely dropped with a 5.56/223.

Endie

AR-15 is my all time hunting tool. I used AR-15 twice when I was in campaign in Middle West forest. It was terrible hunting for me.

USAFshooter

Obsessed Member
I guess it depends on where you hunt whitetails. south texas or the northern forests. makes a huge difference in the size of the animals.

In northern Wisconsin where I grew up hunting, you will run into 200lb+ deer quite often.

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
hunting caliber

....or you could go another route....50bmg vs. bambi....score one for the fifty!!!

:scsniper2::scsniper2::scsniper2:

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
50 bmg vs. bambi

^^^^^^I shot him in the neck, tore his throat out....no meat ruined!!! 650 yards with a Barrett model 99 with the BORS unit and a Leupold 8.5x25x50 and a 750 grain AMAX! He got out of range of my 30/06, but not the fifty!!!

Just Deserts

They drew First Blood....
Forum Supporter
and the hydrostatic shock cooked all the meat to a turn, a crispy medium well! :boom:
didn't even need to tenderize! :beatdeadhorse5: