• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Areas to Shoot in Reno/Sparks Area?

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
I'll be moving to the Reno/Sparks area and was wondering if any NS members in that area could recommend local outdoor ranges and/or any outdoor areas that good for shooting. I shoot mainly handguns and am looking for a place that will allow movement/shooting and steel targets. Local desert locations would be helpful as well.

Last edited:

tdyoung58

NNLP 31st Batt
Forum Supporter
Carson has a nice trap/skeet/ spring clays place.
There's a indoor place called Big Shots I like to shoot at, it's pretty cheap, not a hourly rate.
Lots of other places out in the desert ... Not telling any of my secret spots though ... Iol
If shooting in the desert you gotta be careful about off-roaders and make sure you don't stay a fire

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the tips on the indoor range. I'm going to miss my local outdoor range. They allow me to draw from the holster, move/shoot and use my steel targets. Most days I can get a whole range slot to myself when its slow.

I don't blame you for not revealing your "secret spots". NS use to post up a map of the local desert/BLM locations in the Las Vegas area.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the tips on the indoor range. I'm going to miss my local outdoor range. They allow me to draw from the holster, move/shoot and use my steel targets. Most days I can get a whole range slot to myself when its slow.

I don't blame you for not revealing your "secret spots". NS use to post up a map of the local desert/BLM locations in the Las Vegas area.
It still does.

http://nevadashooters.com/threads/google-maps-las-vegas-area-shooting-spots.83829/

http://nevadashooters.com/threads/google-maps-reno-area-shooting-spots.99970/

Cirdan

Very Active Member
Carson City has a public range w/out any RSO or range master. There's a rifle section, a handgun section, and at the far end a few individual bays. You can pretty much do what you want in the bays (backstops on 3 sides).

I belong to Big Shot, they have memberships. Fairly loose, but still basic indoor safety rules, so no moving, drawing, etc. They keep the expended brass as well. The other indoor range in town (Reno Guns & Range???) seems to always have an RSO in the room whenever someone is shooting. It is much cleaner and brighter than Safe Shot.

Washoe County has pretty strict rules about outdoor shooting. Pretty much banned in the southern part of the county (Reno/Sparks and vicinity). Don't know if they actually enforce them.

Plenty of BLM land further out. Just be careful and don't start any fires.

Stay away from Tribal land. World of trouble.

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
Carson City has a public range w/out any RSO or range master. There's a rifle section, a handgun section, and at the far end a few individual bays. You can pretty much do what you want in the bays (backstops on 3 sides).

I belong to Big Shot, they have memberships. Fairly loose, but still basic indoor safety rules, so no moving, drawing, etc. They keep the expended brass as well. The other indoor range in town (Reno Guns & Range???) seems to always have an RSO in the room whenever someone is shooting. It is much cleaner and brighter than Safe Shot.

Washoe County has pretty strict rules about outdoor shooting. Pretty much banned in the southern part of the county (Reno/Sparks and vicinity). Don't know if they actually enforce them.

Plenty of BLM land further out. Just be careful and don't start any fires.

Stay away from Tribal land. World of trouble.
Cirdan,
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Carson City public range may be my best bet for moving/shooting.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Open desert up east of the ball fields on Vista blvd is probably the closest for desert shooting. We used to have an awesome area west of Spanish Springs before Amodei gave all that land to the local tribe. Generally if you have a 4x4 with decent AT tires, you can take just about any dirt road a ways out of town and find spots where people are shooting. Need to be 5,000 feet from houses, but generally you’re fine unless someone complains. I’ve desert shot for almost 15 years now and never been hassled. Welcome to the area!

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
Open desert up east of the ball fields on Vista blvd is probably the closest for desert shooting. We used to have an awesome area west of Spanish Springs before Amodei gave all that land to the local tribe. Generally if you have a 4x4 with decent AT tires, you can take just about any dirt road a ways out of town and find spots where people are shooting. Need to be 5,000 feet from houses, but generally you’re fine unless someone complains. I’ve desert shot for almost 15 years now and never been hassled. Welcome to the area!
Good to know. Our new place will be completed in around June of next year. Can't wait to leave the LV area. It's getting more and more like L.A. Maybe I'll have to invest in a 4x4 to explore some of those dirt roads.

Cirdan

Very Active Member
Cirdan,
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Carson City public range may be my best bet for moving/shooting.
I think the individual bays are usually reserved on Thursdays (LEO's qualifying) and most Sunday mornings (IDPA). The POST academy at WNU also trains there periodically.

From the Reno area the Carson city range is a littlel closer than Washoe county range...

Primary differance between the two outdoor ranges has been mentioned. Only other points are Washoe you can set paper targets out to 200 yds and there are steel targets out to 950 yds. they also have a lot of shooting clubs there for pistols, rim fire, long range and action type stuff. This range is open only a few days a week and closes at 4:00.

Carson has a 300 yard rifle/pistol range, dedicated pistol range and the other private ranges mentioned it is open longer hours from sun up to sunset and 7 days a week.

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
From the Reno area the Carson city range is a littlel closer than Washoe county range...

Primary differance between the two outdoor ranges has been mentioned. Only other points are Washoe you can set paper targets out to 200 yds and there are steel targets out to 950 yds. they also have a lot of shooting clubs there for pistols, rim fire, long range and action type stuff. This range is open only a few days a week and closes at 4:00.

Carson has a 300 yard rifle/pistol range, dedicated pistol range and the other private ranges mentioned it is open longer hours from sun up to sunset and 7 days a week.
Thanks for the info.

Mr. B

Obsessed Member
There are also events at the Carson City range that involve moving and shooting and multiple steel targets. IDPA and a less formal club 3 gun match usually held about once a month.

While there is no fee to use the range, since it is a public park, managed by the Carson Rifle and Pistol Club (it's a hybrid/partnership set-up). There is a fee to participate in events (to cover the costs of targets, maintenance, etc.) - usually around $10. Events also have safety personnel.

The Carson City range has some RSOs that will be there at some times - they are volunteers, and are generally only there when they are doing some shooting or are involved in an event. Carson Sheriff's Department deputies also check in on the range, like they check in on other parks.

If you are going to shoot "out in the desert", be careful not to start any wildfires - either from bullet impact sparks, vehicle exhaust, cigarette embers, sparks from your vehicle hitting rocks, or campfires.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
I was debating on whether or not to sell or bring up my three steel silhouette targets. If the Carson City range is allowing steel it looks like I have a place to use them...good news.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Plenty of areas if you look at the congested area map. Even though the 5000 foot rule is BS in my opinion, I adhere to it, because thems the rules. I live adjacent to BLM and I hear people shooting all day on weekends, in areas that are NOT 5000 feet from my home, or other homes, and that really grinds my gears. From my driveway its about a 15-20 minute drive to get out past the 5000' mark and then find a suitable backstop. Takes about 12 minutes on a dirt bike.

Just study the congested area and firearms discharge map, and you'll find lots of places.

I have gone to Reno Guns and Range a few times, but I dispise indoor ranges. I dont like being next to the two foreign kids that just rented an AR with 3 shot burst, or the fool next to me mag dumping his SOCOM16. I have to double up on ear protection or it really bothers me and gives me seirous headaches. They're pretty cool about coming out of the holster though. If they see you arent a dimwit and you can actually handle your firearms they'll allow you to draw from holster and concealment.

Unfortunately, indoors is one of the only options in the hot summer months. Again, I live adjacent to BLM, and am in constant danger of fires because a bunch of numb nuts don't adhere to red flag warnings, or think "well I'D never start a fire by shooting........" Massive burned areas within half a mile of my house.

The Washoe Range is decent as well, but is similar in practice to the Clark County reange, full of RSO's. I only go there to sight in rifles at known distances. They have to set you up down at the end off the line if you want to draw from your holster.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
I was debating on whether or not to sell or bring up my three steel silhouette targets. If the Carson City range is allowing steel it looks like I have a place to use them...good news.
I shoot strictly steel and paper in the desert. Just be smart about where you set the steel and the weather conditions and you'll be fine.