Basic casting

• Thread starter Christian for Israel
  • Start date

BKMe

uber Member
Another tip, when dropping bullets from the mold into a bucket of water add a layer of those Styrofoam pellets that coming as packing material in packages. This will prevent splashing of the water when the bullet drops in, thus preventing your mold from getting wet.

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Forum Supporter
I saw this thread back in 2008 and said I wanted to start casting.

Well today I did my first batch. They turned out pretty good.

Started with 20 pounds of lead ingots (were wheel weights originally) and cast them in a Lee 6 bullet mold (255 grain .452), lubed and sized with my Lee .452 die.

It took me about two dozen screwed up bullets until I got the hang of it. Wasn't a big deal because I just dropped the screwed up ones back into the melting pot.

I'm going to let them dry overnight and then load them for my .45 Colts tomorrow.

jlaudio29

thats awesome that you finally dove into it. Any particular safety measures you took that you can share?

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Forum Supporter
thats awesome that you finally dove into it. Any particular safety measures you took that you can share?
I did it outside where there's no ventilation problems. Wore a welding apron, welding gloves and safety glasses. Kept the quenching bucket far enough from the melting pot that it couldn't splash into it. Was careful to not put anything wet in the pot.

That's about it. IMO it's no more dangerous than using a power tool. I used to cast toy soldiers out of lead when I was a kid. It was one of my dad's old toys that was still at my grandma's house.

One tip I have is to go with the Lee 20 pound pot like in this thread. Smaller pots don't have a spout on the bottom, so you have to use a dipper which is a PITA. It's like using a scoop to measure powder. Doesn't take long to realize that's not an efficient way to do it.

jlaudio29

Thanks for the tips, My biggest fear is breathing stuff in.

How many did you get out of your 20lbs of scrap weights?

Mooman76

Obsessed Member
PP Good looking bullets. Some people take allot longer to get started and get good bullets especially with a 6 banger mould. Breathing the fumes is an over rated issue. The lead doesn't put off lead fumes until near the boiling point of lead which is way hotter than we get or need to melt and mould bullets. I put the bucket behind me on a chair so I have to turn around to drop the bullets. No way to splash water in the lead melt that way. You are right. Moulding bullets is no more dangerous than a power tool which can be dangerous in the wrong hands or if someone gets stupid.