Basic reloading

• Thread starter Christian for Israel
  • Start date

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
I don't remember what the base kit cost because I got a bunch of extras. I believe if you look at the XL650 thread I started there that Guido said that they are 10% off list with free shipping. Check there or just go see Guido.

R1_Demon

That was some great info. Thank you. At least it gave me an idea of what I actually need to purchase to start reloading. It seems like there is no "kit" out there that contains everything you need to start. So, reading your post has helped out a lot about what tools you actually need to start reloading. Since I learn more by a "hands on" approach, I guess the next best thing I could do is just buy a kit and just do it and ask questions here if I have any. :)

Anyone have any suggestions on any reloading books? I don't think the Lee kit comes with one as some of the other kits do, so I'd have to look into getting one separately.

But the pictures did help, so I thank you very much for your time in posting them. I'm considering going with one of the Lee kits as it is an inexpensive way to start out. If I end up liking it and/or start to process more loads (I'll be doing .40 S&W) than I initially expected, then maybe I'll move up to a more expensive unit (maybe a progressive one?) and can always just resell my Lee kit here to someone else that is starting out. :smilewinkgrin:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
I like my Lyman 49th edition. You should have at least 2 books to cross reference any load data. Things vary greatly from book to book sometimes so be sure to check multiple sources, start low and work your way up.

R1_Demon

Cool..thank you for the tip. :) :thumbup1:

Ya, I'm not lookin' to do anything fancy/hot at all to be honest. I just want to make them like normal factory range rounds (say like the Federal Champion rounds - nothing special) that I can put down range and practice with. I'll buy factory for my duty carry ammo and such. :)

Jethro

Forum Supporter
I realize this thread is dated, but i just found it and wanted to say thanks for posting as it's exactly what i needed.