• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Be careful out there

Poena238

Rock
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I've shot steel before at 25y and had ricochet/splatter come back and hit me, luckily at that distance it's of no consequence.

Here's a YouTube video of a guy shooting a 50 BMG at steel at a pretty far distance that it comes back and his him.
Wow!!

Maybe we should make a sticky about incompatible target to caliber? This isn't something any of us want to learn from experience.

NO:

- Buck or birdshot at wood or steel.

- 22lr close range at heavy steel

- Any caliber at steel rated for a higher caliber (?maybe?)

- Handgun calibers at bowling pins or balls. Not sure of 300blackout, but I wouldn't either. In fact I've heard so many stories I just avoid them altogether.

- Handgun calibers at tires

- Anything close up with pitted steel targets

What else???

If I'm not at a range (ie blm land), then I put my targets on some 12x4 lumber. No risk of ricochets, and will significantly reduce or stop any caliber other than shotgun stuff.

The only ricochet I've caught was with a BB gun pistol. I was probably about 8 or so, practicing quick draws...saw a little rock that looked like a good target....next thing I know I actually hit it (didn't think I would) and the BB came back and hit me square between the eyes. Taught me a good lesson. (This was before the Christmas story movie, so there wasn't even any humor value haha).