Berrys 30 30 bullets

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
Good timing. I just shot my first small batch of these today. They were the RNFP type. Early days but I like them so far. I’m using them for a plinking load with trail boss.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Well, I loaded a bunch of them several years ago. Out of two Winchester 94s, a 1959 20" and a 1977 Trapper Commemorative, I got better groups out of my open-choked shotgun. And these are guns that shoot just fine with jacketed bullets. I do not remember what my powder was. I'm a Berry's fan for pistol stuff.

Jessy

Thanks for the input I was just wondering if you had any problem with bullet setback or if you single load for lever gun ?

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
I use a Lee Factory Crimp die. I’m just getting started with loading 30-30 but no issues thus far. I can measure the amount of crimp when I load some more. I know I started at .379 once the bullet was seated but never wrote down what I crimped to.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the input I was just wondering if you had any problem with bullet setback or if you single load for lever gun ?
No setback issues but I also didn't do a "fire five and look at number six" test, either.

I've single-loaded spitzers before, but not these.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
No setback issues but I also didn't do a "fire five and look at number six" test, either.
I’ll give this a try with my next batch. Have to say, with Trailboss, it’s a fun round to shoot. I clocked them at 1150fps. Makes for a cheap load.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I don't have any experience with plated bullets in a rifle, but have loaded and shot 10s of thousands in pistols with great results. Mostly Xtream heavy plate..... I know that's not what you asked, but my computer's been on the blink, and I just wanted to participate :rolleyes:

Jessy

Thanks everyone .Im just having a problem with setback after I put a crimp on them just by pushing them on the bench. Tested 4 and same

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Let me go see if I can find the loaded ones I still have somewhere. I did find the 150 projectiles I have left over from the box of 250 I bought.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Well, this just got interesting....Sounds more like a neck tension issue than a crimping issue. Years ago, I had an issue like that with 9MM pistol ammo, seemed the more I crimped the looser they got. I discovered that I was bulging the case slightly. I’m not sure you can do that with a bottle neck cartridge, but I know you can’t bulge the neck with a Lee factory crimp die.

Have you checked the diameter of the bullets? Have you had any issues with jacketed bullets? How about the diameter of the expander ball?

Do these particular bullets have a crimping groove (cannelure)? If so, you can crimp on one edge to prevent bullet “pull” like you would for magnum revolvers, and the other edge to prevent bullet set back, like you would do for tube feed magazines.

Keep us posted, and we can all learn something

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Interesting, it shows a diameter of .309, which sounds like they are sized the same as you would expect cast lead bullets to be. These should be plenty tight in the necks of properly sized .30-30 brass, one would think....

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Bad thing is I got 500 of them and scared to use them do to setback
As in you loaded all 500 of them already with loose neck tension? Or have we just not solved why you have loose neck tension so that you can load the rest of them?

Jessy

No just loaded 10 test round 5 with 4064 and 5 with Unique . Trimed all brass to 2.029 and col was 2.520.Used lee fdl die . Loaded in rifle and cycled them starting was 2.520 after about 2.517 to 2.513