• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Birds near Reno/ Sparks area?

jerisern

“I love my country, not my government.”
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Can anyone point me to some areas to try and look for some birds around the Reno/ Sparks area? Mainly looking for dove right now. Quail and chucker when that season opens. Not looking to steal your honey hole, I'll settle for a small field with a bird or two in it lol. I have a new pointer I need to get on some birds for training this year and also a baby on the way so I can't travel far to my usual spots. Any information would be appreciated!

Buckland Station - Lahaton Lake corridor. Take the dirt road past the Boy Scout camp. Go about a mile and then park. Walk into the woodline. You will kick up lots of dove out of the cottonwood trees. But, be ready for very hot conditions and watch out for cattle.

jerisern

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Buckland Station - Lahaton Lake corridor. Take the dirt road past the Boy Scout camp. Go about a mile and then park. Walk into the woodline. You will kick up lots of dove out of the cottonwood trees. But, be ready for very hot conditions and watch out for cattle.
I'm familiar with Buckland's Station, however I have no idea where the Boy Scout camp is it. Would you happen to have coordinates to it or kindly pinpoint on a map for me? Thanks!

Continue south bound on 95A, past Buckland Station, cross over the river, and go on about another half a mile, look for a dirt road on your left. Take it. You will pass a small day use area on your left, and then the Boy Scout camp, again on your left. Both camps are in the Cottonwood trees. There will be open desert on your right. Be sure to go about a mile further down from the Scout Camp, as you won't want to alarm the campers in the camp (as there is always someone camping there). There are plenty of areas to pull off of the main dirt road. Walk into the woods and look for the trees that have dead limbs at the top of them (I.E., no leaves). This is where the dove like to sit during the day. And remember, this is a shotgun area only. You cannot hunt with a .22 or anything larger. You also cannot hunt coyotes in the woods. I do not know why, as there a lot of them in there. If you have any questions about where you can hunt down there, pull in behind Buckland Station and go to the house back there. That is the Ranger's house, and if approached in a friendly manner, he seems to give good directions.

jerisern

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Awesome. I appreciate the detailed directions, I'll have to go and check that place out soon.

Do you know of any fields that my dog can just sniff around in to practice pointing for birds?