• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Bought myself a mini lathe..

Pcmaker

Obsessed Member
Just got an email saying it's 6-8 weeks out. I hate waiting.

I just might give this work bench away and make a whole new one out of 2x2" square tubing and I hear MDF is less susceptible to humidity and warping.

Thinking of putting these on:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Gonna be tough to roll with all that weight on it, and it reduces the contact area with the floor even when the pads are down and the wheels are off the floor.
I wouldn't try moving it with the lathe on it, as it will be top heavy and headed for a potentially dangerous tip over.

The bench you have should work nicely, add one or two layers of 3/4 inch MDF to the top to make it more ridged and add weight, could also put 3/4" MDF on the sides to keep it from racking and add more weight, and I would also use angle iron or L brackets and bolt the legs to the concrete floor.

You really can't have too much weight or rigidity for a lathe or mill, it reduces or dampens the vibrations and cuts down on tool chatter a great deal.
And it makes it easier to get the lathe bed level, you don't want any twist in the ways at all, and that requires a good, solid mounting surface for the bed. MDF is by nature very flat, so it's easy to get it level, and it is very dense and heavy, so again it helps to stabilize it.

The only better base would be one poured on the floor of concrete in a solid block about the size of your current workbench, and I don't think you want to do that, or one welded up out of 4"x4"x1/2" wall square steel tubing, with 1 or 2" thick steel road plate for a top. That would weigh a ton or more for one the size of your current bench though , and would cost a fortune to build.

In the past when I wanted a 3,000 pound lathe i had to be even more stable, not only was it bolted to the concrete floor, but I filled all the cavities in it (that I could) with lead shot (it was cheaper then, only 75 cents for a 25 pound bag!) adding hundreds of pounds that way.
I have known folks to fill the lathe base cavities, and mill base cavities with concrete to add weight.