buying a 1911 need input

Good day everyone I am currently thinking of buying a 1911 so far i have narrow down my choices to these few. I am looking for some input or opinion of these firearms in terms of personal use experience. If you would like to suggest other 1911 feel free to always open to more options.
But the requirement for a 1911 I am looking for is 1. Must use novak style sights (plus if it comes with night sights) 2. Must have a full size 5" barrel 3. Cost (not looking to spend 800+ on a range gun).

1. Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced 5": meets the requirement of Novak sights , barrel length and reasonable cost.
Link to item: https://grabagun.com/remington-1911-1911-45acp-5-7rd-blk-ehanced.html

2. ZENITH ZIG PC 1911 45ACP 5": meets the requirement of Novak sights , barrel length ,reasonable cost and having a rail is kinda nice. But the fact that is not made in Turkey makes me wonder am i going to encounter problems when I start upgrading it with parts like wilson combat trigger and trijicon Night sights.
Link to item: https://www.cdnnsports.com/zenith-zig-pc-1911-45acp-black-rail.html?___SID=U#.Wz6Bp9VKgdU

3. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911 LOADED 45ACP 5": according to the few shops I went to, you can't go wrong with a springfield
Link to item: https://www.gunbuyer.com/springfield-armory-1911-loaded-45acp-5-barrel-parkerized-7-1-px9109l.html

Of your choices, I would say the Springfield is way ahead. Colt are worth a look. Local online retailer Arms Unlimited usually have good prices on Colt.

Grumpyoldretiredcop

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Of the three you have named, I only have direct experience with the Springfield Loaded (there's one in my safe right now). You would be better paying a little more for the Springfield than taking your chances with the other two, given Remington's late record with handguns and the reviews that I've seen on the ZIG.

StarFire

Yes to the Springfield. But you could get a Wiley Clapp Colt for a little more. I believe new 1911 shooters should start with a Colt. You will never go wrong and will get your money back (mostly) if you sell it. Check the trigger, it is all sbout the trigger. Should be butter smooth and a crisp break.

Don't spend money upgrading your first 1911 for the first year or two and a thousand rounds. You don't know enough yet to know what you want. If you want to put Wilson Combat parts on a pot metal gun from Turkey - just buy a Wilson Combat. Or save two grand and get a Dan Wesson.

One thing about 1911 fans, there will be no shortage of opinions. :)

Last edited:

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Or you could not buy a 1911 at all. Look if you want a 1911 because you want a 1911 then go for it. If you want a 1911 because you want a .45 APC handgun then I’d seriously consider the Walther PPQ, Glock 21, FN. etc. before I purchased a 1911.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
thought about getting a Glock 21 because even after some aftermarket parts still less then a springfield 1911
IMHO the 1911 is a dated design that has been surpassed by modern pistols. I’ll catch a lot of flack for that feeling, but whatever. As I said if you want one because you want one then by all means get one. If you’re looking for a combat .45acp I would search elsewhere. Not because the 1911 won’t do the job, but i think newer pistols will do it better, with less complexity, and likely for less money.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
IMHO the 1911 is a dated design that has been surpassed by modern pistols. I’ll catch a lot of flack for that feeling, but whatever. As I said if you want one because you want one then by all means get one. If you’re looking for a combat .45acp I would search elsewhere. Not because the 1911 won’t do the job, but i think newer pistols will do it better, with less complexity, and likely for less money.
I agree..I wouldn't want one, cool as they are.
I like shooting them when they belong to someone else...You betcha.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Forum Supporter
I like a 1911 for many of the same reasons I like an old Garand, Trapdoor, etc.... Besides 1911s have come a long way and don't melt like plastic! :D

For under 1K I think Springfield, or Ruger, I have a Springfield officer, and commander, and a Ruger 5 inch. I know a lot of guys like the RIA, and for good reason, 75% of them cycle like Lance Armstrong used to. Problem is the other 25% drag like Michael Jackson's left shoe. Ruger and Springfield, honor their product. Had mixed luck with RIA.

Ramone

Obsessed Member
Colt. All the way. Government Model is first choice. A Commander will do if needed. Avoid the shorter barrel versions, in all brands. Also, buy a good maintenance guide for the pistol and learn how to care for it completely.

Yet, as noted above, if you want a good .45 ACP pistol with no headaches, the Glock 21sf, 3rd Generation, rules in this caliber.

Last edited:

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Funny how so many people are trying to steer the OP away from a 1911.

If they have no interest, why even bother reading the thread? When I see a Glock or XD thread, I have better things to do.

Yeah, 1911s are like sledgehammers . . . ugly but effective!

:D

I would recommend the Springfield Loaded. I had one, traded it and bought another one to replace it. I also own two other Springfield 1911's I like them for what they are a workhorse I can upgrade as I see fit. I bought a threaded barrel for my loaded and it not only looks cool but fires great.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Funny how so many people are trying to steer the OP away from a 1911.

If they have no interest, why even bother reading the thread? When I see a Glock or XD thread, I have better things to do.

Yeah, 1911s are like sledgehammers . . . ugly but effective!

:D
Kind of like - I want to buy a Maserati
No you don't want that, buy a Toyota.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
yeah because any discussion outside of exactly what the OP asked for is verboten. Why would any of us discuss the good or bad sides to any potential purchase. It’s a discussion board, so let’s discuss.

Edit: if you’re interested in a 1911 because of the history of one the CMP will be selling government issue 1911s in the not so distant future. I plan to try and get one myself as a collector.

Last edited: