• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Buying a New AC unit, any advice?

You can't turn on a radio on any station in town without hearing "the Sunny Plumber/ Goettl".

I called them when my hot water heater died.

They had a technician in the area (weekday late afternoon), he was nice, polite, and seemed knowledgeable.

And he highballed me with an estimate over 2.5 times what I had the entire job done for with another place.

Somebody gotta pay for all that air time/ advertising I guess.

So FWIW, that's one to avoid.

Having dealt with some small issues with my unit which came with the house (Bryant), I can tell you that whatever they suggest, make sure its rated for a house larger than the one you are putting it in. Ours is a 4 ton unit, which technically is for 1600 sq ft (1 ton for every 400 sq ft is the general rule). Our house is 1800 and the unit does struggle at times to keep up with demand. I've replaced the capacitor twice in the last 4 years, upping the capacitor each time. Record heat plus demand over the 4 ton rating has made ours work too hard IMO.

If I were replacing my system today, I would go with a 5 ton no question.

Unfortunately I can't recommend anyone personally, unless you count our handyman who helped me troubleshoot it. But he's not an HVAC guy by trade.

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
The guy I bought my current main residence from owned a large HVAC company. The whole system is Rheem if that helps.
Too bad I'm so far away from you OP (assuming LV), I have a guy that installs/services ALL my needs for my business HVAC, my mom, all my friends. He's usually 20% less that anyone else on his bids and his work is 100%. I met him years ago at a Tea party event.
I have a guy in SLT if you're in the Reno area that would probably get you sorted out. He has the security codes to my home I trust him so much.

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
You can't turn on a radio on any station in town without hearing "the Sunny Plumber/ Goettl".

They had a technician in the area (weekday late afternoon), he was nice, polite, and seemed knowledgeable.

And he highballed me with an estimate over 2.5 times what I had the entire job done for with another place.

Agreed. People call these companies when something breaks and want service now. Best to be a bit proactive and have a list of service companies across the board that wont rape you.

Well I got 5 estimate all from the ones u here on radio to the ones u don’t an I finally went with dekes refrigerator an air I got a 5 ton in February an he was not the cheapest but not the most an he an the father have been in business for 20+ year an u look at there reviews he has got 4.5 star also gave me a cash deal I think I paid 9 grand all said an done an it is the 2 stage unit America standard I think but he only sells 1 brand. Look Steve up he will do u right

turborich

Obsessed Member

I called the Sunny Plumbler only because I couldn't find an independent guy and I didn't have a 100 ft snake which I though I would need and this was at my rental home so I didn't want to keep my tenant waiting. The guy shows up, can't give me an estimate based off of what he sees, so he calls another Sunny plumber on the phone while I listen to the conversation. Other plumber tells him to avoid the crawl space under the house (which is readily accessible) and just charge him $1,800 to cut the floor out and inspect the bathtub pee trap and piping.

You guys know what I told him! I still couldn't get rid of him for less than $200. Never again!

In the end it took a small snake and 10 minutes to clear everything out. Avoid them at all costs!

turborich

Obsessed Member
Stay away from all Lennox products.
What's wrong with Lennox products? I had a new one installed about 10 years ago and still running like a top. I don't think there's anything wrong with any one particular brand as they are all basically the same exact components with a different name on the exterior.

ColtBill45

Hydrostatic shock creator
What's wrong with Lennox products? I had a new one installed about 10 years ago and still running like a top. I don't think there's anything wrong with any one particular brand as they are all basically the same exact components with a different name on the exterior.
Being retired from the a/c field and having blown 3 of them in a 3 year span on my own home, they are garbage. They are nowhere near close to Carrier or Copeland.

My between me and my family, we own give or take 90 heat pumps. We've gone through half a dozen AC contractors before settling on our current one for the past 4 years. We use Koldair, and we're on a first name basis with everyone there. Usually get same day service when we call.

Whenever we have a heat pump that's too far gone to be worth repair (we have quite a few 20-30 year old R22 units). We have them replaced with Goodman units. Goodman units have a reputation for being a cheap brand. But we have dozens of them currently. The worst thing that happened was one brand new one had a coil leak, which was replaced under warranty (limited lifetime warranty). For the most part, they work, even on the hottest days. When they do have issues, odds are you're only paying labor, and the warranty will cover parts.

Everyone always recommends Carriers, and says they're worth the extra money. Well, I've got 8 of them, installed brand new in 2012. By summer 2013 half of them failed, and every contractor that worked on them couldn't keep them working more than a week. You could say the installation was bad. But the contractor who did the install did a number of the strip hotels (I won't name them).

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
I'll try and put more time here when I can, guys. I am so busy these days it's easy to stay from all the drama a very few members drag most threads into.

Please contact me with any HVAC needs. As one member mentioned, I'm super busy; but I guess there is a reason for that. I was able to take care of one member just yesterday morning on the very morning that he PM'd me through this forum. I fixed his wiring and restored his compressor to full operation after another contractor didn't even look at the wiring and wanted $10k for a new system (which is also a lot more than I would have charged had he actually needed a new system.)

I prefer texts. If you call, it WILL go to voice mail. I do not even have a ringer on my phone. If you must call and leave a voice mail, please speak clearly, as Google will transcribe it for you and send me a text message.

In addition to describing the issue, one of the most valuable pieces of information for me to know right away is what side of town you are on. That's how I can best tell you when I can get to you. When you work 12-14 hours a day in the summer, you need to spend as little time on the roads between jobs as possible.

702-578-0552

Last edited:

MAC702

Forum Supporter
Having dealt with some small issues with my unit which came with the house (Bryant), I can tell you that whatever they suggest, make sure its rated for a house larger than the one you are putting it in. Ours is a 4 ton unit, which technically is for 1600 sq ft (1 ton for every 400 sq ft is the general rule). Our house is 1800 and the unit does struggle at times to keep up with demand. I've replaced the capacitor twice in the last 4 years, upping the capacitor each time. Record heat plus demand over the 4 ton rating has made ours work too hard IMO.

If I were replacing my system today, I would go with a 5 ton no question....
Usually going up one size might not be a problem, but the size of ductwork is engineered for the size of the machine. I'm not that kind of engineer, so can't tell you how much better a larger machine will be, IF AT ALL.

However, the size of the capacitor is very specific to the model number of the motor that it is running. You can't just 'up a capacitor' unless I don't understand what you are saying here.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
What's wrong with Lennox products?...
I don't find much differences worth mentioning between the reliability of the brands. It's usually poor installation that causes the most problems; which is why Goodman sometimes gets a bad rap, as they will sell to anyone who may or may not know what they are doing, and then often get blamed for installation errors.

I tend to NOT recommend Lennox and Trane products as they are the most difficult ones to get warranty parts for. I've many times had customers waiting several days for their parts to come from L.A. even though an equivalent part is sitting on the shelf in another store.

The best brand, by far, for locally available parts under warranty is Goodman.

Carrier, Rheem, Bryant, etc, are somewhere in between, depending on the part.

Out of warranty, this is a non-issue, as we use common universal replacement parts for most repairs unless you want to spend significantly extra for OEM.