Buying a New AC unit, any advice?

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Thanks Mac for fixing my sister's AC a few days ago. At least I think you fixed it, she hasn't complained and I am out of town. (You were there twice, once to diag and the second to install part. My mom was there for the install).

In CA working on Gpas house to get it ready to sell. "Why is the a/c airflow so weak???" ((20 year old house)) Then I looked at the air intakes.... never had filters. So 20 years of no filters in a house that is 15 on a 1 to 10 dust scale. So now we ask why does the A/C still work and can it please for another few months???

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Dang, Gullwing, that's not nearly enough information to remember which job that was! Ha! Oh wait, I actually do remember her now! I was wondering how she got my number. I was there years ago for something, too.

You may be able to restore Gpa's machine to full efficiency. You need to take enough of it apart to access the evaporator coil. You will probably find it caked with crap. Clean it with a brush and a vacuum and it will work A LOT better! A clogged coil (or filter) will cause low airflow, which can cause the coil to freeze over because it's not getting enough heat out of enough air. The frozen coil then just compounds the problem. These also stress the blower motor, which is working harder to blow air that isn't moving well, and is running hotter because it also dissipates its own heat into that moving air.

Everyone needs to take the regular filter replacement seriously. It's not for your breathing air. It's for the machine to stay clean. If you are a landlord, I highly recommend you provide these filters to your tenants. Tenants are notorious for not maintaining YOUR AC filter and when the blower needs to be replaced, you'll be on the hook, instead of them, for the emergency call to me.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Nope not working on the ac, not happening (as of now) basically everything seems perfect but "just running on blower setting 1 instead of 3". So much other @#$% to do.

MikeBajorek

Consultant
Forum Supporter
Talk to MAC702 on here. He's the AC guy.

BW[/QUOT
Dang, Gullwing, that's not nearly enough information to remember which job that was! Ha! Oh wait, I actually do remember her now! I was wondering how she got my number. I was there years ago for something, too.

You may be able to restore Gpa's machine to full efficiency. You need to take enough of it apart to access the evaporator coil. You will probably find it caked with crap. Clean it with a brush and a vacuum and it will work A LOT better! A clogged coil (or filter) will cause low airflow, which can cause the coil to freeze over because it's not getting enough heat out of enough air. The frozen coil then just compounds the problem. These also stress the blower motor, which is working harder to blow air that isn't moving well, and is running hotter because it also dissipates its own heat into that moving air.

Everyone needs to take the regular filter replacement seriously. It's not for your breathing air. It's for the machine to stay clean. If you are a landlord, I highly recommend you provide these filters to your tenants. Tenants are notorious for not maintaining YOUR AC filter and when the blower needs to be replaced, you'll be on the hook, instead of them, for the emergency call to me.

I can't stress enough the importance of listening to Mac's advice. My wife and I have a property management brokerage in Vegas & Mac is our #1 go to A/C guy. He is honest and very competent... plus he likes guns. Can't go wrong with Mac!

IBMJunkman

Transitioning to NV
Forum Supporter
Mac702,

Can you recommend anyone to review ductwork? The airflow in one part of the house is 1/3 of the other part. Air is same temp. I am north of Henderson.

YoungGun

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Not to hijack the thread but thanks MAC for giving us cold air again. Texted MAC Sunday night and he came out early yesterday morning.

Yg

Lrh502

Very Active Member
I am an LTL truck driver doing pick up and delivery locally. As far as Goodman I can tell you they have 3 stores in town-Henderson,Las Vegas,and North Las Vegas. If one store does not have the part there are two others that might.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
Mac702,

Can you recommend anyone to review ductwork? The airflow in one part of the house is 1/3 of the other part. Air is same temp. I am north of Henderson.
Any AC guy should be able to inspect the ductwork if in an accessible attic. It's not always easy to get to, though. Sometimes it's really obvious if you want to crawl up there yourself. Make sure you only walk on the joists!

Tract homes, and many "custom" homes, are not engineered differently when the same footprint will face different directions, which determines which side of the house will get the greater heat loads. You can compensate significantly by adjusting the vanes in the vent registers. Close off 50-75% of the ones in cool rooms and make sure they are wide open in the warmer rooms.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
I am an LTL truck driver doing pick up and delivery locally. As far as Goodman I can tell you they have 3 stores in town-Henderson,Las Vegas,and North Las Vegas. If one store does not have the part there are two others that might.
There are also three Johnstone Supply locations, and they are also a fully stocked Goodman (and York) dealer.

For those who aren't licensed contractors, there is Appliance Parts Center, on Eastern at Bonanza, near the 95. They will be more expensive than a wholesaler, but they specialize in selling to the DIYer, and they stock the popular sizes of Goodman and Lennox, last I saw, plus a surprising amount of parts. I've known the family owners for almost 40 years.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Last week we "finished up" Gpa's house and put it on the market. On the way out I raised the temp from 79 to 82. Sunday when the realtor came in to do an open house, the house was hot. yep A/C not working. Effing great. I go back tomorrow to try and figure something out about the only thing I know how to do is get shocked over and over by the capacitors while I replace them.
Day before we left I put in the second filter (went with the lowest rated filter I could find to help keep some airflow, might have just been enough to send it over the edge.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Guy checked it out today (I head out AGAIN tomorrow) and "a band aide was put on over an older band aide". System is 20 years old and is basically on the way out. System "overheated" and popped the circuit breaker. I might be climbing up in to the attic and checking things out. Only 110ish down there.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
That makes it about 140 in the attic. Welcome to my world.
This morning I went to explore the attic. It was actually not that bad (after dying working outside for two hours, 6:30am and instant soaked shirt). Couldn't locate any Hvac equipment and didn't want to risk falling through ceiling so didn't find anything up there. In the water heater closet is what I thought was heater, but looks also to be a/c related. My give a fawk meter is bouncing off empty and I will head back home after tomorrow!!!

MAC702

Forum Supporter
Most split systems these days are integrated into the furnace, even if the furnace is gas-fired, and all they share is a blower. The air always passes through both the cooling coil and the heat exchanger, though only one will be working at a time. If it's in a closet instead of the attic or roof, you are golden! Much nicer working conditions! Usually...

I'm replacing a split system this morning, and the indoor section is in the garage. Love it.