• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Carry a handgun while hunting?

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Currious about carrying a hand gun for defense while hunting. I'm pretty new to this but want to confirm:

From my understanding for muzzle loader and or archery tags, one may carry a handgun as long as the barrel is under 8", and it doesn't have a scope, in otherwords, something that clearly isn't a hunting specific hand gun.

For firearms hunting, any handgun that is centerfire, .22 cal or larger, with a 4" or longer barrel is legal to hunt with So here's my question:

Assuming you are hunting with a rifle, is it still lawful to carry a handgun that doesn't meet those standards? Does it count as carrying it for defensive purposes, or would they assume any handgun you had on your person was intended for hunting? Since I'd be toting around a rifle, I likely wouldn't be carrying a hand gun, but I'm just curious if there would be any issue to have say, a snub nose revolver or compact glock on your hip while on an "any legal weapon" hunt.

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I’m sorry that I don’t have the regs in front of me. You can carry a side arm you can even shoot big game with a pistol. I’ll look it up when I get home.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Currious about carrying a hand gun for defense while hunting. I'm pretty new to this but want to confirm:

From my understanding for muzzle loader and or archery tags, one may carry a handgun as long as the barrel is under 8", and it doesn't have a scope, in otherwords, something that clearly isn't a hunting specific hand gun.

For firearms hunting, any handgun that is centerfire, .22 cal or larger, with a 4" or longer barrel is legal to hunt with So here's my question:

Assuming you are hunting with a rifle, is it still lawful to carry a handgun that doesn't meet those standards? Does it count as carrying it for defensive purposes, or would they assume any handgun you had on your person was intended for hunting? Since I'd be toting around a rifle, I likely wouldn't be carrying a hand gun, but I'm just curious if there would be any issue to have say, a snub nose revolver or compact glock on your hip while on an "any legal weapon" hunt.
There is no literature about CARRYING smaller than a CF .22 cal handgun. You cannot HUNT with a CF handgun smaller than .22 or a rimfire. You can carry a .22 rimfire pistol, nothing illegal about that.

If you are bow hunting, you cannot carry a sidearm with a telescopic sight or a barrel 8" or longer.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
In my experience, any extra weight when clambering hills is very unwelcome.
I can see carrying something while skulking mountain lion country with a bow, especially since when sneaking and keeping low we look small and slow just like lions like it. Once while hunkering down fossiling and arrowheading, a lion tried to sneak on us before my Pop spotted it. When we stood up and pointed the lion took off.
In big country, a deer gun is waaay more defensive than a pistol IMO, same concerning a shotgun when birding.
You can carry anything you want on a legal weapon hunt, you just can't hunt with a handgun that doesn't meet parameters, of course.

Last edited:

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Okay, page 50-51 of the hunting regulations book says that a hand gun may be carried during a muzzleloader and archery hunt for self defense as long as the barrel is short than 8”. A pistol may be used in a any legal weapon hunt as long as it is center fire and .22 caliber or larger with a barrel longer than 4”.

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I always carry a hand gun while hunting. Usually a 1911. One time while on a muzzleloader elk hunt I wished that I had a muzzleloader pistol instead, just to dispatch the elk when I made a neck shot.

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
But to further answer your question a person isn’t limited to how many firearms one can carry on their person to hunt with. Unless a game warden witnesses you shoot a big game animal with something shorter than a 4” barrel, you have nothing to worry about.

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
What does that have to do with his question?
Most of those shot left their rifles at the cabin. After this tragedy, even the camp cook in a hunting party carried a pistol on their belts when in the woods. In that part of the country deer hunting is mostly a social event. Taking a white tail is secondary.
I keep forgetting desert/California people are wired different.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Most of those shot left their rifles at the cabin. After this tragedy, even the camp cook in a hunting party carried a pistol on their belts when in the woods. In that part of the country deer hunting is mostly a social event. Taking a white tail is secondary.
I keep forgetting desert/California people are wired different.
Was the shooter a desert/California person or was he just being social first, whitetail second?

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
But to further answer your question a person isn’t limited to how many firearms one can carry on their person to hunt with. Unless a game warden witnesses you shoot a big game animal with something shorter than a 4” barrel, you have nothing to worry about.
Awesome that’s the bottom line right there.
I just never know if carrying a handgun that wouldn’t be legal to hunt with Could be construed as intent to use it for hunting, even if you had a rifle.