Carry Guard or other CCW insurance?

Just looking for input / opinions on whether or not NV shooters members are getting self defense insurance and if so, which one? I've had a CCW for the past 6 years and am now looking into Carry Guard by the NRA as well as USCCA and Armed Citizen Legal Defense Fund. If you're a member of any of these organizations or another, please let me know the pros/cons and why you chose the one you chose over the others.

Thanks!

Chris

Just looking for input / opinions on whether or not NV shooters members are getting self defense insurance and if so, which one? I've had a CCW for the past 6 years and am now looking into Carry Guard by the NRA as well as USCCA and Armed Citizen Legal Defense Fund. If you're a member of any of these organizations or another, please let me know the pros/cons and why you chose the one you chose over the others.

Thanks!

Chris

Limited knowledge in this area.
- No knowledge of Armed Citizen Legal Defense Fund.
- Same with NRA Guard. Although NRA pisses me off a bit too often with their BS anti 2A decisions. NRA seemingly raises a finger in the air, notionally checking political winds. All too frequently, NRA does not live up to “…shall not be infringed…”. So, for me, NRA has some value, but I don’t advocate them as I am strictly in the “no compromise” crowd..
- USCCA. Four levels of coverage: Silver, Gold, Platinum and Elite. Coverage details at link further below. Have been a USCCA Member for just over four years with “platinum” coverage. Coverage looks good, response time will likely me great. Cost at ~$347 annual may be steep, but I like the peace of mind knowing an attorney specializing in defending individuals that exercised 2A rights will be readily available. From what I have read, I believe USCCA will serve me well, if the need arises.
https://www.usccacoverageform.com/

will be interested if you opt for any one of the three and related thoughts.

Looking forward to information and perspectives NS members may post.

Brad

Last edited:
USCCA?

Hi Brad,

At this time I'm leaning towards the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/ due to cost & it being a fund as opposed to insurance. Does USCCA work like the NRA Carry Guard where you pay for your defense up front & after the acquittal, they re-imburse you for expenses? If so, I'd probably be broke & homeless before the case is resolved.

I also like that names I recognize are affiliated with the organization ie Massad Ayoob & John Farnam (not that I expect either one of them to show up in the event that I need their assistance). I've also spent a lot of time reading their on line journals & appreciate the free information on their website.

The only reason I'm considering Carry Guard is that it's an NRA product & they've been around a lot longer than either of the other 2 organizations.

Thanks for the info.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
I have had the Silver level with USCCA. I'm just a poor working guy, but for $14/month, it is worth at least a little coverage...and the 24/7/365 phone # on the card in my wallet..

5.56 AP

I’ve never been a fan of these insurances so I haven’t read up on them much. Are there actual cases where they’ve got people out of a charge?

It seems like a better plan to research and talk to local attorneys. Then have the money (or available credit) for a retainer set aside just in case.

If you think an insurance policy will keep you from spending at least a night in jail I think you’ll be surprised. :copbeatdown:

Hi Brad,

At this time I'm leaning towards the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/ due to cost & it being a fund as opposed to insurance. Does USCCA work like the NRA Carry Guard where you pay for your defense up front & after the acquittal, they re-imburse you for expenses? If so, I'd probably be broke & homeless before the case is resolved.

I also like that names I recognize are affiliated with the organization ie Massad Ayoob & John Farnam (not that I expect either one of them to show up in the event that I need their assistance). I've also spent a lot of time reading their on line journals & appreciate the free information on their website.

The only reason I'm considering Carry Guard is that it's an NRA product & they've been around a lot longer than either of the other 2 organizations.

Thanks for the info.

I also started with USCCA Silver.

My thoughts are certainly not PC WRT NRA Carry Guard.

Wow, IF I got it right, NRA requires the insured or whatever they call one with Carry Guard to pay 100% upfront and only reimburses after acquittal. That is more reason I dislike NRA. The idea for me is to lighten the financial burden immediately when the legal problem starts, not maybe later, after acquittal. What if there is no acquittal? One pays for Carry Guard for the privilege of paying for their defense lawyer, bail, law suits, and costs for each court day? NRA has been around a long time, but that does not equate to a quality product in carry Guard. In a word, my NRA Carry Guard assessment is charitably is, pure BS.

USCCA is insurance. Event happens and USCCA has 24/7 live body to answer the phone. Referrals to lawyers savvy in defending folks having exercised 2A rights (self defense) or LE having issues with our carrying legally.... USCCA money is made available as situation develops (lawyer hired, court, lawsuits, etc.). Suggest call USCCA 1 877 677 1919. For lack of better words, suggest play twenty questions with USCCA rep. The times I have called USCCA, they have been helpful and seemingly quite knowledgeable.

Hope this helps.

Brad

I’ve never been a fan of these insurances so I haven’t read up on them much. Are there actual cases where they’ve got people out of a charge?

It is all personal preference, including one's financial capacity.

For some, it seems like a better plan to research and talk to local attorneys.

If you think an insurance policy will keep you from spending at least a night in jail I think you’ll be surprised. :copbeatdown:

USCCA has many testimonials. Folks that used a weapon or had an issue while carrying. Their web site or 1 877 number for clarification.

If I find myself having used a weapon or some sort of 2A LE issue, I may very well be locked up for a night, or two. Maybe longer. It may even be probable. Circumstances will dictate how that goes. I absolutely believe USCCA can minimize initial incarceration and optimize my follow on legal issues through resolution.

These decisions are all personal and based on one's needs, financial capacity, etc. To each his own.

As suggested, one can opt to for lack of better words, self insure. (I did for years)
- Save money (cash, credit, investments, real estate,etc.), all ready on a moments notice, probably at the most inopportune time.
- Interview local lawyers, if the 2A related event happens locally, same State...
- As I understand it, costs can sky rocket and consume savings, insurance and available credit for many. Even if they can come up with the funds to pay, they may find themselves with zero retirement savings left, yada, yada.

Admittedly, the likely hood of needing 2A related insurance is very small. BUT, if it is needed, I feel better having it readily available. Personal preference.

Just my thoughts. To each his own. I assume most don't opt for 2A related insurance as it may not be needed in their personal situation (justified), financial reasons, etc. Certainly no one size fits all solution.

Brad

5.56 AP

Thank you for your insight.

Bottom line I guess is just don’t pull that trigger unless you need to. You said it, the easiest way out is to be clearly justified.

Thank you for your insight.

Bottom line I guess is just don’t pull that trigger unless you need to. You said it, the easiest way out is to be clearly justified.
Being justified doesn't guarantee you won't get hosed in a civil case. I was a juror on a case in California in which a burglar was awarded a nice sum of money because the victims dog took a bite out of his backside. Unfortunately the lawyer for the crook was clearly better at litigation than the lawyer for the home owner...

5.56 AP

Being justified doesn't guarantee you won't get hosed in a civil case. I was a juror on a case in California in which a burglar was awarded a nice sum of money because the victims dog took a bite out of his backside. Unfortunately the lawyer for the crook was clearly better at litigation than the lawyer for the home owner...
Yeah, I probably wouldn’t go around admitting to that. Pretty scummy.

Tinman517

Happily Unemployed
I have the USCCA elite program. Hopefully, I never need their assistance.

This particular program suited my personal needs and requirements.

TexasJackKin

Longing to Breath Free
Forum Supporter
It's easy to say, "That's California for ya" But I wouldn't count on anything better anywhere else.

CCW insurance is a confusing topic, at least for me. Some offer insurance, others offer reimbursement, others offer something else. I've heard of several people getting 2 policys to have all the bases covered.

I keep thinking I should get a policy of some sort, but I have a case of "Paralysis by analyses"

Hope to get some good insight here.....

CCW in CA?

It's easy to say, "That's California for ya" But I wouldn't count on anything better anywhere else.

CCW insurance is a confusing topic, at least for me. Some offer insurance, others offer reimbursement, others offer something else. I've heard of several people getting 2 policys to have all the bases covered.

I keep thinking I should get a policy of some sort, but I have a case of "Paralysis by analyses"

Hope to get some good insight here.....
Is CCW issued in Fairfield? What county?

I did go with Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network. I've gone thru just about all the online journals & wanted to see what's on the DVD's they send to members. https://armedcitizensnetwork.org

Like others have expressed, I hope & pray that I never have to use it.

Ramone

Obsessed Member
Although I do not have it, I am inclined to say https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/guns-appearances-matter
because of the people involved in the organization, as noted above.

Read about the case of the late Harold Fish. Instructive. One never knows with whom one is dealing. The guy Fish shot had friends and family of some political consequence in the county where the incident took place.

For this reason, financial preparation does make sense, on some level.

That said, unless you run in the criminal underworld dealing in contraband, chances are you will never have to defend yourself with a firearm.

"Stupid people, stupid places, don't go..." as has been said often.

Yet, sometimes people do end up in wrong place at the wrong time and are backed into a corner.

If you have something to lose, for instance, a house, a business, a family fortune, then armedcitizensnetwork.org may be right for you.

Stay safe out there.

terdog

uber Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now in Nevada you still cannot be sued in a civil court unless you are found guilty of charges in a criminal court as a result of a shooting incident?

Although I do not have it, I am inclined to say https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/guns-appearances-matter
because of the people involved in the organization, as noted above.

Read about the case of the late Harold Fish. Instructive. One never knows with whom one is dealing. The guy Fish shot had friends and family of some political consequence in the county where the incident took place.

For this reason, financial preparation does make sense, on some level.

That said, unless you run in the criminal underworld dealing in contraband, chances are you will never have to defend yourself with a firearm.

"Stupid people, stupid places, don't go..." as has been said often.

Yet, sometimes people do end up in wrong place at the wrong time and are backed into a corner.

If you have something to lose, for instance, a house, a business, a family fortune, then armedcitizensnetwork.org may be right for you.

Stay safe out there.
I agree w/most of what you said, but I don't work in the nicest neighborhood. If I could, I'd avoid going there, but it's where I work. I'm not allowed to carry at work & don't want to leave it in my car all day in case someone breaks into it & steals it. My car was broken in to when I first started there but I didn't have a CCW at the time.

The DVDs have a lot of good info, but the presenter is putting me to sleep. The videos w/Massad Ayoob are really good. So far, I'm glad I signed up, but hope I never have to make that call.

You got me reading about Harold Fish & now I'm thinking I have to get some pepper spray or other non-lethal option. I'll be dressed like inspector gadget in the middle of July just to have all this equipment on me...