• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Case Cleaning

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
What's the current condition of the cases and how nice of a finish do you want?

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
I always used walnut, until I switched to stainless steel wet pin tumbling a few years ago. It gets brass way cleaner and brighter than it needs to be, both inside and outside.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Agree with walnut over corn cob for your purposes, from my experiences. Can't speak to buckwheat groats.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
7F1643E4-CDF2-4D1B-8629-42F5064DECA6.jpeg
6.5x47 cases before tumbling

A7E0A0A9-E364-407E-A143-4D2789D04D5D.jpeg
toasted buckwheat groats...

1DB94348-CF6E-4A11-BBD5-9E99643C3997.jpeg
before....

33755DB1-2D3D-4D17-B836-4A6614E5B5CB.jpeg
after 10mins...

85DED21C-B5A5-4920-A2F7-72D7B0542A30.jpeg
after 30mins...

so i got my lyman 1200 last night and tumbled 130pcs of 6.5x47 brass in the toasted buckwheat groats with 1 cap of nu-finish car polish...10mins was pretty clean 30mins it was blinding clean so im pretty happy with that...also there is no dust with the groats.

only problem was the groats pack into a lot the cases pretty tight and were kind of a PITA to get out but after i figured out that if i just hold the case on the edge of the bowl with the tumbler running the groats come out pretty easy...something else i figured out is that holding the case on the edge of the bowl to remove the groats from the inside of the cases also removed the groats that got stuck in the flash holes.

if your shooting 7mm,30cal ECT with large primer pockets none of the above will effect you but its really not a big deal.

ive SST tumbled for about 7yrs this is the first time i have ever dry tumbled and i think im going to end up converting over to dry tumbling and the reason is i think dry tumbling is going to cut my reloading times by about 30-60mins maybe a bit more.

the time savings will be that dry tumbling seems to be a bit quicker because there is no rinsing or drying involved and also cleaning lube off cases...my plan is to try a different media specifically the crushed walnut reptile bedding because its a little bit finer and i think it will come out of the cases a little easier....i figure ill tumble for 15min size then tumble for another 15mins then finish my case prep.

i run 600 cases at a time so if this all works out im going to buy a dillon CV-2001 or a lyman 2500 pro mag so i can tumble larger amounts...im leaning more towards the lyman because the 1200 is surprisingly quite.

all in all im pretty happy with the results and like i said will most likely be converting over to dry tumbling.

Attachments

Last edited:

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
The secret to make SS pin tumbling work, is to keep ahead, so your not waiting for a batch to finish before you can load. I get that dry tumbling is faster, but I’m retired.....what else do I have to do? Plus, I like the bling....

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The secret to make SS pin tumbling work, is to keep ahead, so your not waiting for a batch to finish before you can load. I get that dry tumbling is faster, but I’m retired.....what else do I have to do? Plus, I like the bling....
ive SST for about 7yrs now and ive got it down to a science but i work 12hrs a day still so im always looking for ways to cut time at the loading bench. and the reason i run 600 cases at a time is so that im not always doing case prep but when it is time to do case prep theres a bunch to do...as far as the bling thats why i started SST i like shinny brass and the buckwheat groats do a good job of that as well.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
Sounds like you have a system that works for you. I’ve heard good things about buckwheat over on CalGuns, but never tried it myself.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
I've been doing SS pins for a few years now and I'll never go back to dry tumbling again. My hands, tools and brass stay nice and clean during the entire loading process now and I love that. The new looking brass is just a plus.