• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Chukar call and shears

I have been chasing these f ing birds for the last 3 yr, anyone that has hunted them knows what I am talking about. We are doing pretty well this year (cant tell you where we are finding them you understand). I have been trying to find a good pair of game shears (we cut head, wings and legs off) Any suggestion (I have got shears from lows, and star nursery and they don’t work getting through the tendons.

I am also looking for a Chukar call (Lohman or primos) I have looked at basspro and they did not have any. I wanted to buy one in town but may have to get it online. Any suggestions

Thanks

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I got hunting shears from bass pro and they work great. I have a call that I have used and have yet to get a bird to answer me. Always end up chasing the suckers up hill, then up another hill then up another hill.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
"You hunt chukars the first time for sport, and ever after for revenge!"
Or so Pop told me when I was a young'un, many, many moons ago.

The Bass Pro game shears work well, so do the ones made by Cutco. They are a very old cutlery firm, the name sounds like some cheap Chinese product, but they are neither cheap in quality, nor in price!
They make a great line of knives and shears, high quality Stainless steel for most of the line, I have a pair of the shears that belonged to my folks, over 50 years old and still going strong after thousands and thousands of chickens, ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, doves and chukars.

You can find them on line, or in better department stores like Macy's.
The ones I have are similar to these but mine are solid stainless steel, and have a bone cutting notch. They can all be had with partial serrations on the blades near the pivot point (mine have this, handy for tough spots) , and they come apart with a twist of the wrist so you can completely clean them, even in around the pivot.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160495145517?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=157116662761&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=WXS%3F&GUID=b332a65a1290a06c222179b1fff8399b&itemid=160495145517&ff4=263602_304662

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Shears? I use a pair of wire cutters, clip the legs and wings off. I keep the thighs and as for the breast, 2 small cuts with a knife and yank, the guts and head stay the boob comes with me. In the bush goes the rest. Chucker and Quail are the easiest thing to clean in the field :jddb:

Tonahutu

Although I live in Las Vegas, I bought my chukar call at the big sporting goods store in Ely. Never thought it helped much, though. Just lets you laugh back at them. Bought shears at BassPro but they're also online at BassPro and Cabela's (expensive there). Have yet of find chukar around Pahrum but I know they're there. Did find quail on the way to Pahrump.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Although I live in Las Vegas, I bought my chukar call at the big sporting goods store in Ely. Never thought it helped much, though. Just lets you laugh back at them. Bought shears at BassPro but they're also online at BassPro and Cabela's (expensive there). Have yet of find chukar around Pahrum but I know they're there. Did find quail on the way to Pahrump.
We have Chukar here, but you gotta work for 'em. They don't just walk up to the vehicle.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
We have Chukar here, but you gotta work for 'em. They don't just walk up to the vehicle.
They do if you hold a $20 out the window, Top.

Oh, wait, you said CHUKAR,,,,,,,my mistake!