• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Chukar in Searchlight?

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
Has anyone hunted chukar in Searchight? My son lives there and says he has never seen any.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Haven't hunted the area in awhile (well, other than Rabbit occasionally) but I've never seen Chukar around Searchlight. Maybe there are some in the McCullough Mountains?

Did someone tell you there are some down there?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I used to hunt cottontail between Searchlight and Nipton. Never saw chukkar, but I didn't have armor-piercing ammo with me anyway.

lasvegasharley

Bearer of arms
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
We practice long range North of Searchlight, year round. I have never seen any chucker out there.

I was a conservation desert patrol officer for many years in So. Nevada. The only location of Chuckar that I am aware of is on the S. and W. side of the Potosi range. There may be some N. of Cold Creek, but I have never personally seen them. NE of Gabbs, NV and N. of Austin, NV are hot spots for Chuckar, but my info is dated. Our Fish and Game bunch are always re-planting in out of the way places.

Chuckar were imported from India and Pakistan in the late 20's/early30's in exchange for some animal we had. I have forgotten what that was.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
I was a conservation desert patrol officer for many years in So. Nevada. The only location of Chuckar that I am aware of is on the S. and W. side of the Potosi range. There may be some N. of Cold Creek, but I have never personally seen them. NE of Gabbs, NV and N. of Austin, NV are hot spots for Chuckar, but my info is dated. Our Fish and Game bunch are always re-planting in out of the way places.

Chuckar were imported from India and Pakistan in the late 20's/early30's in exchange for some animal we had. I have forgotten what that was.
There are Chukar at Mt. Charleston. Saw some 2 weeks ago, albeit in an area you cannot hunt so what's it matter. About 20 or so birds. Other than that, I have not personally seen any this far south.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Does anyone have a good spot for rabbits
Saw hundreds of rabbits running across the roads while hunting 2 hours north of Vegas. Just get off the highway and start driving, they are everywhere.

Anywhere less than an hour? Spotty at best these days. Better to drive instead of waste time down here.