• Become a Nevada Shooters Forum Supporter!
    Click HERE for details!

CLEO Notification Anyone just drop it off? (LVMPD)

Interesting tidbit.

NHP sent a CLEO notice back to me. They said they don't handle NFA firearms and that I needed to contact the ATF. As far as I know I did everything I needed to do under the law. Thoughts?

If it hit the mail box, you have done your duty to inform. The ATF lists specifically "The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police"

You are done. If they don't know what to do, so be it. Id keep the return letter just for giggles til I got an approved form back.

If it hit the mail box, you have done your duty to inform. The ATF lists specifically "The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police"

You are done. If they don't know what to do, so be it. Id keep the return letter just for giggles til I got an approved form back.
Nevada doesn't have a state police, so it makes sense they sent it back.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
The Nevada Highway Patrol is the state police, or does it have to be that exact name of the organization? I wouldn't think so. They are also labeled as the "State Troopers."

There is a lot of state law enforcement. None of them are state police. We don't see any of them with it in their name ;)

If the ATF wanted a broad term like law enforcement, they would have chose it. Nevada isn't like states back east that have state police.

And local law enforcement is forbidden from having a gun registry, so they can't keep records of firearms anyways.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
I guess I could see that. Never thought about that before making such a difference, but it doesn't surprise me. I did assume the Capitol Police might not count.

To say NHP is not the state police is stupid. They are the statewide LEO that has authority to conduct criminal investigations. If you want to get super technical the State Police absorbed the NHP in the 1940's. They underwent a name change to NHP at some point, and now are the DPS.

Also if you live in Henderson, the form goes to the HPD chief. ATF could/will return it to you if you have a Henderson Address and a LVMPD CLEO notification. NLV to my knowledge doesn't matter. It happened when I worked in a store that sold class 3 stuff

Last edited:
To say NHP is not the state police is stupid. They are the statewide LEO that has authority to conduct criminal investigations. If you want to get super technical the State Police absorbed the NHP in the 1940's. They underwent a name change to NHP at some point, and now are the DPS.
If NHP conducts investigations, what does Nevada Department of Investigations do? DPS is the blanket name for a wide range of agencies in the state.

NHP is part of state law enforcement and not the state police. Their job is traffic enforcement and even the law says that is their primary job.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
If NHP conducts investigations, what does Nevada Department of Investigations do? DPS is the blanket name for a wide range of agencies in the state.

NHP is part of state law enforcement and not the state police. Their job is traffic enforcement and even the law says that is their primary job.
Alright I'll chime in..

The reason they are DPS is because they also oversee the DMV and DOT. If DPS didnt have the dmv and dot as part of their operation they would likely just be known as NSP. Aka state police.. This info is a google search away..

That being said.. NDI oversees many investigations few even know about.. Drugs, chop shops, murder, etc. They work hand in hand with detectives around the state from local and county entities. They also help P&P locate absconsers..

P&P.. Which is grossly understaffed and underfunded is categorized as the exact same as highway patrol officers...aka dpa officers. They all make the same which happens to be the least in the state of nevada. While metros budget approaches 1 billion youd think theyd want more p&p to watch everyone getting released from prison.. But guess we will see what happens next legislative session.

As for DPS and more specifically NHP only doing traffic enforcement.. Go talk to the people in elko, winemucca, etc and ask who shows up to their domestics, burglaries, robberies, etc in the rurals. If everything was so black and white it would be nice.. But its not.

Alright I'll chime in..

As for DPS and more specifically NHP only doing traffic enforcement.. Go talk to the people in elko, winemucca, etc and ask who shows up to their domestics, burglaries, robberies, etc in the rurals. If everything was so black and white it would be nice.. But its not.
https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-480.html#NRS480Sec360

The duties of the personnel of the Nevada Highway Patrol include, without limitation:
1.  To police the public highways of this State, to enforce and to aid in enforcing thereon all the traffic laws of the State of Nevada and to enforce all other laws of this State when:
(a) In the apprehension or pursuit of an offender or suspected offender;
(b) Making arrests for crimes committed in their presence or upon or adjacent to the highways of this State; or
(c) Making arrests pursuant to a warrant in the officer’s possession or communicated to the officer.

Their duties are limited. Sure, they may help out in rural areas, but they are still there to enforce motor vehicle laws.

They aren't the state police. Their specialty is traffic. You said it yourself, when you said what NDI does. They do more police like functions with investigations.

It would be black and white, if they were the state police. :p We can agree to disagree.

Hitman

Escaped from Kommifornia
I emailed mine as well for a Form 1 and a Form 4. Both were approved with no issues and I am now in possession of them.

IBMJunkman

Transitioning to NV
Forum Supporter
Took my form to Metro Tuesday. Handed it to lady behind the glass and turned to leave. She called me back and said I don’t need to submit form for guns. The 3 LEO in the office all shook their heads no in agreement. I pointed out to her it was for a silencer. She looked at them and they all nodded yes. :)