Conflicting Loading Info

I am currently reloading 9mm Luger, and am confused about different info on C.O,L

Federal brass (FC)
4.2 grains of Win 231
115 grain Remington FMJ-RN
The paperwork that comes with my Lee Dies say "maximum overall length 1.169"
Hornady 8th edition carteridge reloading say C.O.L is 1.100
Measuring factory loads, C.O.L is 1.147

Will I be OK using A C.O.L of 1.149 ? if no, what would you recommend ?

I do appreciate the help you guys share on this forum.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
You go with the length listed for the exact recipe you are using. If you are using a load listed in that Hornady manual, you go no shorter than Hornady's length. You can be longer, as long as it reliably fits in the magazine, but may develop less pressure and power if you do. Going shorter means you will have more pressure than the recipe expects, so that's why you don't do that.

Another issue is that some bullets' ogives are designed to work at their specified COAL. If you go longer, you increase your risk of feeding failures, extraction of loaded rounds, or bullets lodging in rifling too soon.

totenschadel

Forum Supporter
I am currently reloading 9mm Luger, and am confused about different info on C.O,L

Federal brass (FC)
4.2 grains of Win 231
115 grain Remington FMJ-RN
The paperwork that comes with my Lee Dies say "maximum overall length 1.169"
Hornady 8th edition carteridge reloading say C.O.L is 1.100
Measuring factory loads, C.O.L is 1.147

Will I be OK using A C.O.L of 1.149 ? if no, what would you recommend ?

I do appreciate the help you guys share on this forum.
Here are the SAAMI specs for the 9mm. You actually have the Max and Min COAL limits as seen on the drawing. Keep those two dimensions in mind as your "goal posts" and probably keep your length close to the middle as a starting point. I load my 9mm to 1.135". To say you have conflicting load data isnt really the case here, you have two points, of which, you can interpolate from without getting into high pressure conditions from being loaded too short, or excessively long which could cause the bullets to get jammed into the rifling and or fail to go fully into battery.

Attachments

Last edited: