Congratulations On Your Promotion, Chuck!

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Ladies and Gentlemen, today our own Chuck Burnett was promoted to General.

General Class Amateur Radio operator that is. Formerly Technician (Class) Burnett, he should now be addresses as General Burnett.

Not an easy test, but he passed with flying colors.

Congratulations Chuck!

Geo's next..............:D

MrTuna

Former Moderator
Congrats Chuck! I have taken so many classes from Chuck he is probably sick of me by now. I always learn something from him. Sounds like he is branching out.

Thanks, guys.
I've put this off for a long time. Finally dug out the book and printed out the question pool and generated some skull sweat.

Test had a lot of big wurds, my lips got tired. :biggrinjester:

KE7JSD/AG

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Thanks, guys.
I've put this off for a long time. Finally dug out the book and printed out the question pool and generated some skull sweat.

Test had a lot of big wurds, my lips got tired. :biggrinjester:

KE7JSD/AG
Don't let him kid ya guys, he pretty much aced the exam, and we even convinced him to try taking the EXTRA class exam (highest level amateur class license) , even though he had not studied it at all, he still got 50% of the questions correct, and that exam ain't for sissies as another gent who took it today stated.

It has a question pool of over 800 questions!

After trying it, he did leave the exam room talking to himself, but I don't think any permanent damage was done. By the time we gave him his ticket and sent him homeward, he seemed to be back to normal. Well, as normal as he ever gets, due to associating with the likes of us...............:willy_nilly:

Chuck, the next time we hold a improvised antenna and communications class over here, I will drop you a note just in case you are interested.

Might be some skills you might want to add to the curriculum of some of your courses, teach folks how to improvise both short and long range communication antennas out of whatever they have on hand. Handy info to have.

It's often easy in a disaster or third world rat hole country, take your pick, to find a transceiver, but without an antenna they are useless, and lots of folks don't have a clue how to make a workable antenna no matter what the frequency range of the radio is.

I've seen folks in other lands barter away transceivers for that very reason. I've also seen it done here at flea markets, I own a couple of transceivers acquired because the owner didn't have a clue how to make or where to buy an antenna for it.
The radio worked just fine, but without an antenna, it didn't transmit or receive, so they traded it off. Yet within a 100 feet of them I often saw all the materials required to improvise an antenna that would have let them get on the air to listen or transmit.

Just food for thought.

And as I have mentioned before, if any of you are interested in getting your HAM (Amateur Radio) license, and want information on how to go about doing it, drop me a PM. I teach the classes on this side of the hill, and I am also one of the Examiners, so if I can't answer your question, I know someone who can.