• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Could use some advice.

I have recently started getting into long range/precision shooting. I purchased a RPR 5.56/.223 as my trainer rifle and have been shooting and learning fundamentals on it for about 18 months now and I think am ready to move to the next thing. I am obviously looking at 6.5 creedmoor rifles but am still hesitant to drop a large amount of coin on anything custom and am looking at factory rifles, my budget is 1000-1200. Heres the catch I dont want a RPR chambered on 6.5 creedmoor I want something different, I’ve been looking closely at the Howa KRG bravo and the Bergara HMR but if you guys knew me you’d know am terrible at making decisions. So I am reaching out for any advice or recommendations you might have to point me in the right direction.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
How far out are you shooting your precision 223? What don't you like about the RPR, or do you just want different for different's sake, which is a perfectly acceptable answer?

My 6.5 is a Savage 10 GRS.

Get a Savage Axis . Dump the barrel & get a 26" from Northland in 6.5 creed. Less than a thou & it'll get you to 1500 easy with handloads.

BW

How far out are you shooting your precision 223? What don't you like about the RPR, or do you just want different for different's sake, which is a perfectly acceptable answer?

My 6.5 is a Savage 10 GRS.
Honestly I just want something different. I have stretched that .223 to 800yds which is pushing it in my opinion but am making consistent accurate shots at 650. I did look at a few reviews on that GRS that stock looks neat, how do you like it.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
... I did look at a few reviews on that GRS that stock looks neat, how do you like it.
Love the rifle. One thing to take note for sure is that it is a very right-handed stock. If you want to get into the precision shooting games or similar, there are a lot of shots taken with the left side, and it would be awkward.

42tula

uber Member
I have a Howa HCR 1500 and I love it. I think at some point I’d like to update to a custom build, but I have a hard time parting with my money since this one shoots lights out with hand loads.

I would strongly advise checking out the Howa 1500 in the KRG bravo stock, I think you’ll be extremely happy.

8722DE2A-BE22-4CA7-A28D-5656B96FCD90.jpeg

159D7552-B51F-4031-9B44-E520E3C6E3A9.jpeg

I have a Howa HCR 1500 and I love it. I think at some point I’d like to update to a custom build, but I have a hard time parting with my money since this one shoots lights out with hand loads.

I would strongly advise checking out the Howa 1500 in the KRG bravo stock, I think you’ll be extremely happy.

View attachment 52652

View attachment 52659
Those are some nice groups. Yea all the research keeps pointing me towards the KRG. Did your come with a scope base and if not what did you choose?

42tula

uber Member
Thank you for the compliment. I wish I was a good shooter, but that group is all in the rifle. Mine did not come with a base, I ended up getting a 20MOA nightforce model. I apologize, but I can’t remember the exact model number.

I’ve owned a howa HCR with the Luth AR buttstock. hard to beat for the price. I would look for a used Sig SSG 3000 patrol. The US made model sold new around 1875$. Sako TRG as well.

I run a GRS bolthorn stock on my SSG and I think they make the best stock so the savage might also be a good deal at the price.

I have recently started getting into long range/precision shooting. I purchased a RPR 5.56/.223 as my trainer rifle and have been shooting and learning fundamentals on it for about 18 months now and I think am ready to move to the next thing. I am obviously looking at 6.5 creedmoor rifles but am still hesitant to drop a large amount of coin on anything custom and am looking at factory rifles, my budget is 1000-1200. Heres the catch I dont want a RPR chambered on 6.5 creedmoor I want something different, I’ve been looking closely at the Howa KRG bravo and the Bergara HMR but if you guys knew me you’d know am terrible at making decisions. So I am reaching out for any advice or recommendations you might have to point me in the right direction.
Check out the .224 Valkyrie. Does everything the 6.5 Creedmoor does, only better :) Shoots flatter, further, and retains more energy at distance, and costs less to shoot.

You can get a complete upper that fits onto your favorite AR from PSA for $360. You'll need 6.8 mags for the .224 Valkyrie cartridges. Ventura Munitions has a good variety of .224 Valkyrie on the shelf for reasonable. Cheaperthandirt.com has 6.8 mags for pretty cheap.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-15-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch1.html

They were in stock when I checked the website just now.

Check out the .224 Valkyrie. Does everything the 6.5 Creedmoor does, only better :) Shoots flatter, further, and retains more energy at distance, and costs less to shoot.

You can get a complete upper that fits onto your favorite AR from PSA for $360. You'll need 6.8 mags for the .224 Valkyrie cartridges. Ventura Munitions has a good variety of .224 Valkyrie on the shelf for reasonable. Cheaperthandirt.com has 6.8 mags for pretty cheap.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-15-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch1.html

They were in stock when I checked the website just now.
Does someone make a bolt gun chambered on Valkyrie?

Alright boys it has been decided. Howa KRG Bravo 6.5 CM 24” barrel has been ordered I also got a spigot and a harris direct mount from KRG to put my bipod a bit closer to the muzzle. I will mount a leupold mark5 HD 5x25-56 with a horus h59 reticle on a spuhr mount. I know, I know that is a lot of scope and mount for a “budget” rifle but this guy was offering a really good deal for the scope and mount and I just couldn’t refuse. Only thing I haven’t decided on is a scope base so I you have any recommendations please let me know.