• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Could use some advice.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I have a Howa HCR 1500 and I love it. I think at some point I’d like to update to a custom build, but I have a hard time parting with my money since this one shoots lights out with hand loads.

I would strongly advise checking out the Howa 1500 in the KRG bravo stock, I think you’ll be extremely happy.

About your HCR. Have you tried any aftermarket mags in it?

42tula

uber Member
Yes I have. I have used the AICS pattern magpul 5 and 10 rounders. They are amazing.

ETA: The five rounders are better for prone shooting I feel, and the ten rounders are more of a novelty / fun range mag. Both feed spectacularly.

Last edited:

sYnOnYx

Resident .22 Addict
I love the KRG stock. Feels so balanced. The howa was a good call. The RPR leaves a lot to be desired, good call skipping that.

Something to add Incase anyone else is looking For a 6.5 rifle that I’ve found in my research -
Budget - Savage 110 Tactical. Takes mags, huge bolt handle, decent weight, LOP and cheek we’d adjustable, nice trigger. $500-$600. Plenty of solid reviews online for building a budget PRS gun.

Mid Range - Bergara B14 HMR. For the money it can’t be beat. Super accurate out of the box. Adjustable cheek piece, nice trigger.
$900-$1000

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I love the KRG stock. Feels so balanced. The howa was a good call. The RPR leaves a lot to be desired, good call skipping that.

Something to add Incase anyone else is looking For a 6.5 rifle that I’ve found in my research -
Budget - Savage 110 Tactical. Takes mags, huge bolt handle, decent weight, LOP and cheek we’d adjustable, nice trigger. $500-$600. Plenty of solid reviews online for building a budget PRS gun.

Mid Range - Bergara B14 HMR. For the money it can’t be beat. Super accurate out of the box. Adjustable cheek piece, nice trigger.
$900-$1000
Where does the $750 Howa HCR in Creedmoor fit in?

Where does the $750 Howa HCR in Creedmoor fit in?
I looked at that too and I think it comes down to preference on weather you prefer a chassis look or something a bit more “traditional” looking with the KRG. Also I feel like I would replace the stock on the HCR pretty fast. Am sure its the same 1500 action and barrel.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I believe it is the same action.

For me it's less about aesthetics and more about performance. All things being equal, I'd choose the less expensive one and sink the savings into optics.

42tula

uber Member
I believe it is the same action.

For me it's less about aesthetics and more about performance. All things being equal, I'd choose the less expensive one and sink the savings into optics.
You are both correct the action and barrel are the same, the only difference is the chassis / stock. I do think they both will give the same amount of performance, and that it does come down to what is a better fit for you (McMillan style stock vs a chassis).

Had the KRG been out when I purchased the 1500 I may have gone with that, but since the HCR shoots so well I don’t think I can part with it any time soon.

3922976C-168F-4410-B9C0-0095E1FBA5F6.jpeg

Thanks brother. I do like the chassis, it’s the first rifle I’ve had like it and I feel like I can get setup with it a little better than a traditional rifle stock.
There is advantages to a chassis system for sure, I just got a 6.5 grendel on a MDT LSS chassis and I too find it more comfortable than the KRG. 060717F3-BF6E-4422-9DD6-D70175B8B8D2.jpeg

393CD52A-528E-4163-A37F-0472E061C252.jpeg