Crimping 223 brass

oly29

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Question, how many out there crimp their 223 brass while reloading? Do you only do it for semi auto or for bolt also? I have never had any problems but my son said he has had a few push the bullet into the case while loading from a semi auto.

I have crimped from my earliest days of reloading decades ago; initial reason was pushed back bullets into case mouth. Crimp dies were not too common then, had to special order crimp dies from CH as well as a cannelure device (still works great). I have and currently use Lee crimp dies also.

On .223 reloads for AR rifles, I crimp all four bullet types that I shoot, however I only make a cannelure for one type (Sierra 55 gr Blitzking). It is not really necessary for the cannelure; I have not had measurable grouping difference or functionality issue between bullets with and without a cannelure.

Last edited:

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
My old Pacific (now Hornady) seating dies have a crimp feature, that works great, as long as everything is trimmed to the same length. Between primer pockets and trimming to length, these aren't nearly as much fun a loading straight walled pistol cases! I'm thinking after 40 plus years of trimming with a forester trimmer (once to Cadillac of trimmers) it's time to get something more automated, same for primer pockets.....

oly29

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse on the way home tonight. Had a gift card so I asked if they had any. The spot where they were listed was empty but right below it on another caliber was the 223 die. So picked it up along with a few other items and paid for it all with the gift card.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
There's not much from LEE I would intentionally talk anyone into IMHO, but the FCD is one product that has its place.
I agree, when I went from single stage to progressive (for straight walled pistol) I had to get some new die sets, because my older pacific dies, de-primed in the belling die, and to get my press to run, I needed to de-prime in the sizing die. I got Lee dies, and after I replaced the lock rings they were fine. The straight wall factory crimp die, is altogether different than the bottle neck die.

I know there is some controversy with the Lee FCD on straight walled pistol cases, but I haven't experienced any issues. Some time ago, I had a round (.45ACP) that didn't get the bell turned back in enough tie up my gun up in a match, and let me tell you when that happens it's way more than tap, rack, bang to get the gun going again. I thought we were going to break the extractor before we got the round out of the chamber. I've had no issues since I've added the Lee FCD. Plus I now plunk test all my match, and defensive ammunition.

With straight walled pistol ammo, the bell and the crimp aren't as consistent as one would like, since they are not all trimmed to the same length, the Lee FCD helps in that regaurd.