• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Crossbow deer.

So Saturday I shot what I think has to be the dumbest deer in Union county. I was late getting to my stand. As in about 7:10. I just get to my stand with all my stuff and looked up to see a deer in my longest shooting lane heading towards me. I was using a crossbow and hadn't even sat down, much less got it cocked, which can be a little noisy. Yet this deer still kept coming. I know it saw me. So when it got close, I shot it. Unfortunately it was a bad shot, high in the neck. I "Daniel Boone'd" this deer for two hours before I found it. Down on my hands and knees for a while, even thought I needed a magnifying glass for some of the blood! Turned out what I thought was a doe was actually a button buck. Until the end, the trail was in regular woods, but then he went into a thicket of that beauty berry bush, and even then layed in a small depression. While following him, I kept looking around to see if I could see it, and when I was in the thicket, I was able to make out his ear in that depression. Not a huge deer, but meat for the table! This was my first crossbow deer. And I need more practice!

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Awesome. Good story.

And missed you’re intro thread. From DC?

And where you hunting?

East coaster here, and missing the season back home DE this week.

The guys are out there hitting the woods all week!

So Saturday I shot what I think has to be the dumbest deer in Union county. I was late getting to my stand. As in about 7:10. I just get to my stand with all my stuff and looked up to see a deer in my longest shooting lane heading towards me. I was using a crossbow and hadn't even sat down, much less got it cocked, which can be a little noisy. Yet this deer still kept coming. I know it saw me. So when it got close, I shot it. Unfortunately it was a bad shot, high in the neck. I "Daniel Boone'd" this deer for two hours before I found it. Down on my hands and knees for a while, even thought I needed a magnifying glass for some of the blood! Turned out what I thought was a doe was actually a button buck. Until the end, the trail was in regular woods, but then he went into a thicket of that beauty berry bush, and even then layed in a small depression. While following him, I kept looking around to see if I could see it, and when I was in the thicket, I was able to make out his ear in that depression. Not a huge deer, but meat for the table! This was my first crossbow deer. And I need more practice!