Deer and cow elk advice

I was lucky enough to draw mule deer Unit 101-109 and cow elk Unit 101-103 Both Oct. 01-16 . Would appreciate any advice on area since I have not hunted up there before. Plan on going up three or four times this summer to scout, but it looks like a lot of country. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
If you see a cow elk in those areas, I would be sooo shocked..so shocked.
Been hunting in 10 for 30 something year, top to bottom in the Rubies and have never seen one..don't know anyone who has. They issue those tags because of rumor about elk venturing into the area, which would adversely affect the some of the best deer hunting in the state. If there is one, they want it dead. The South end of 10 near highway 50?..a different story. Ask everyone you see whether they have seen an elk, while you are hunting deer..imo.

If it is hot?..Huntington Valley and the West side of the Rubies..Snowy and cold?...The East side, Ruby Valley
Ruby Crest Trail..Colonel Moore..Spruce Mountain...Brown and Pearl Creek..Horse Creek....Lamoille Canyon...Harrison Pass Road.....
Ruby Mountains, jack...Smell The Quakies and see you up there!
Almost forgot..30 Mile!

Last edited:

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
thanks for your input ..... looks like I will be deer hunting
I don't want to discourage you RE elk..always possible, I guess..But I would concentrate on deer. Once you have one, maybe cruise into Lamoille and ask at the bar about elk?..The Sports bar in Spring Creek, maybe...Wardens, Ruby Valley Resort? Gather intel from everyone that you see, if possible. The area is beautiful!..Worse things than cruising around and not seeing elk.
The elk areas are my favorite areas for deer, btw.

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
I got one of those rare elk in area 10 a few years back. On a scouting trip, discovered that the same 3 elk, a spike and 2 cows, came down to an alfalfa field just north of hwy 229 every day. Got permission from the owner. The night before opening day, one of the cows got hit by a car on the 229. Spooked them for a day. The next day they came back to the field and we took the cow. Only elk I've ever seen in area 10.

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
Yes, I shot mine in 102. I generally just refer to them by the first 2 digits. They only give out those cow elk tags for 101-103, because the only place elk are ever a problem around there are in those alfalfa fields in 102. I've seen small herds of elk in 108, during deer season, of course. Fogie's advice is darn good.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I got one of those rare elk in area 10 a few years back. On a scouting trip, discovered that the same 3 elk, a spike and 2 cows, came down to an alfalfa field just north of hwy 229 every day. Got permission from the owner. The night before opening day, one of the cows got hit by a car on the 229. Spooked them for a day. The next day they came back to the field and we took the cow. Only elk I've ever seen in area 10.
Wow!! Congrats!..Never seen one there in 101-103.
I have seen them in 108..Bald Mt, Buck Mt..South Huntington and above/East of Newark Valley. Have seen them in the juniper area that the Ruby Valley Road snakes through between Ruby and Long Valleys, too.:)