• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Deer hunting nevada

gixxer760

Clown World Champion
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I know were out of season but i thought i would turn to the veteran people here in nevada shooters.

Im wanting to get into some deer hunting, i have yet ot hunt anything larger then some coyotes in so cal. I was thinking of maybe doing a guided hunt to learn the tricks of the trade and how to track the deer. is this a good idea or do they guides just take you to private locations with blinds where you just kinda wait?

Anyone willing to share locations that are available for public hunting? obviously not your secret spot but just areas on the map that have deer and i can do some scouting and looking for deer next year.

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Nevada Hunting areas

There are alot of good areas between Pioche and Ely on the East or West side of highway 93, The closer you get towards Ely the better, later in the winter they will start migrating down towards Pioche, but durring the season we did not find much sign as we got close to Pioche. Good luck, We encountered a huge number of hunters in the area durring the season.

tonyf

uber Member
All of my deer hunting trips the past few years have been in area 10, both north and south of the Harrison Pass road. Theres a forest service campground by the Ruby Valley fish hatchery and a number of unofficial camping spots accessed from Harrison Pass road. I always apply for the late season tag but if I'm lucky enough to get drawn it's for the early season. Last deer I got was two years ago.

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I assume you have been here awhile and know that you have to put in for a deer tag through a lottery system and may or may not get drawn for a certain area?

That being said, I took a buck in the Ely area 5 years ago and have not been drawn since and I put in every year. Last year while elk hunting in the Wheeler Spring and Cold Creek areas I saw a bunch of deer in both areas. I was sitting on a spring at daylight 2 days in a row and saw nice bucks come in for water about 50 yards away from where I was sitting. Over in Cold Creek we helped a young kid take a nice 4 point buck, he was stoked.

tonyf

uber Member
Sure would be nice to draw a tag for either elk or deer in Southern NV. Figured my chances would be slim to none unless I had a lot of points built up and then even no guarantee of drawing a tag.

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Ya never know if you will get drawn, I got drawn for elk with no points as I didn't put in every year and the other rifle hunter got drawn his second year! I know people that have been putting in for years with points and never got drawn.

gixxer760

Clown World Champion
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Dang I didn't know about the points and drawings. I might have to just go to Utah I got some friends up that way. How do you get the points for the drawings?

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
random

Ya never know if you will get drawn, I got drawn for elk with no points as I didn't put in every year and the other rifle hunter got drawn his second year! I know people that have been putting in for years with points and never got drawn.
Yea,I have hunted in Montana for years, the first time I put in in nevada I drew a deer tag and I didn't think it was any big deal, I had applied for deer and elk...thhen the next year I applied for deer elk and antelope....nothing and I have talked to a number of sportsmen who put in unsuccessfully year after year.

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Dang I didn't know about the points and drawings. I might have to just go to Utah I got some friends up that way. How do you get the points for the drawings?
I drew for the central region in utah this year.....would not reccommend that area! There were terrible hunter/deer numbers there and the season is very short. I heard that there is an area called the book cliffs that is very desirable....if you can draw a tag!

That's where the bonus points thing comes in...they give out bonus points when you are unsuccessful in a drawing....you can usually also choose to take bonus points instead of your tag if you realize that you will not be able to hunt during the time that the season is running but you don't want to lose your bonus points...you usually also have to put in every year to avoid losing accumulated bonus points. I think my utah stratedgy fom now on is to only put in for some of the VERY DESIRABLE areas and accumulating my points.....maybe in the next twenty to thirty years I will actually get one.....central region general hunt....waste of time and money... IMO

Rowdy16

I have not drawn a tag for the two years I put in. I go to WY. Nice hunting there. I was thinking about going to the PRK. Is it easy to get a tag there? Is it worth it? Anybody hunt Cali?

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
I have not drawn a tag for the two years I put in. I go to WY. Nice hunting there. I was thinking about going to the PRK. Is it easy to get a tag there? Is it worth it? Anybody hunt Cali?

I don't know where that is?? I put in for an area just south of Yellowstone Park in Wyoming with some cousins of mine, they do a pack in trip similar to what I did on the North end of the Park in Montana last year. The Montana tag I have never missed getting my out of state tag since I moved to Nevada. (Montana residents can buy their tags over the counter with out the drama of the draw....for general tags anyway) I also put in for the general hunt in Montana again. (deer/elk combo) No bueno on the Cali hunting....I pretty much boycott those commies as often as I can....beautiful area and I have met some very nice people from there....but their politics make my stomache turn......dont want to get started on that one......

gixxer760

Clown World Champion
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Hmmm how are out of state rates in wyoming for deer and elk? I got some buddies up in hyattville that hunt the area every year so if its worth it i may just try and shoot up there for some huntin. As for Kommiefornia trust me you dont need to get started i had to deal with it for years as i lived there.... Just moved to nev in Oct man free air tastes soooo much better!

Rowdy16

Out of state rates for Wyoming are great. And easy to buy. Check their site. Wyoming game and fish. Sounds like I should keep going there and avoid Cali.

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Hunting

I have family up in Wyoming and the only downfall that I have heard of is alot of private land, so it tends to overcrowd the public land...it is like most fair chase hunts, if you want to have success you need to have luck on your side....and it also doesn't hurt to be on top of the mountain!