• Become a Nevada Shooters Forum Supporter!
    Click HERE for details!

Desert Shooters: What type of targets and gear do you take with you when you go shooting?

Jayc71

I am a member at a club that has outdoor ranges, but sometimes when the weather is nice I like to just go to shooting areas out in the desert and enjoy shooting or sight in with some relative solitude. I'm working on my gear selection, I usually carry:

- A folding table for laying out guns and reloading,
- an adjustable shooting table
- a couple collapsible chairs as necessary
- a few gun bags for transporting firearms and gear
- ammo cans with various ammo
- a soft metal .22 plinking target (which may or may not have some AR holes in it)
- a standing target holder with targets
- and a small ice chest with some water bottles and diet cokes, usually a couple sandwiches as well just in case

I've seen people out there with full canopy tents and such, always curious what others drag out to the desert to shoot.

I've got a pretty nice shooting bench that I picked up on sale several years ago on sale for like $150. It swivels and is very steady, only takes a couple of minutes to set up.

Usually just keep the back of my SUV opened, and lay my firearms in there.

For targets, nothing more fun than steel. Have several of the basic 1 inch pipe setups, with hanging AR500 targets. Usually set up two targets to a setup, one at 100 yards, and one at 150-200 yards, depending on how motivated I am to walk out my targets that day.

Also will grab whatever empty plastic milk or soda jugs we have laying around, fill with water - they make great targets!
When cleaning up I always fill a large hefty bag, so I take out more trash than I bring in.

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
Truck bed is my table (no loaded firearms) maybe a table but usually just my last target stands rebar and lots of steel. If rifle I have my rear bags and shooting mat and my tripod with hog saddle.

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The older I get the lighter I pack. Usually not much,

First Aid GAGB.
Cooler with Snacks.
Folding chairs
Paper Targets
Range bag

Everything that goes in comes out, I scout once off the road for anything else needed for targets and that comes back too.

What I mean by that is trash goes into my bins at home.

terdog

uber Member
I keep a range finder in my range bag, that way when I get outside "normal" distances I know where I am.
Tape (prefferably std masking tape) for covering up bullet holes in paper if I use paper. I prefer steel though.
When its really warm I bring my canopy.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Add rake and bucket if you’re shooting at any sort of junk targets. I get that blowing the hell out of stuff is fun, but you need to pack out what you pack in.

And always-always-always take a fire extinguisher.

terdog

uber Member
And always-always-always take a fire extinguisher.
I always have a fire extinguisher in my truck, but its a great reminder, thanks. Also, a shovel, even a foldup camp shovel is a great tool to have.

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
I always take a couple of those Home Depot heavy duty trash bags and bring home more than I take out. The spot north of Apex where I like to shoot is going to get shut down because of all the trash and shot up crap idiots leave out there.

Jayc71

I always take a couple of those Home Depot heavy duty trash bags and bring home more than I take out. The spot north of Apex where I like to shoot is going to get shut down because of all the trash and shot up crap idiots leave out there.
That's no good. I always take a few plastic bags with me, one for any trash I generate (water bottles, sandwich wrappers, empty shell boxes, etc) and another couple to pick up my casings, random trash and other brass/SG shells around. I definitely try to carry out more than I take in, I wish everyone did that.

A rake and bucket is a great idea, I have a fire extinguisher but usually forget to take it. I think I'll order another and a folding shovel to leave in the Jeep.