Desert Sportsman's - A New Day is Dawning

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Desert Sportsman's Rifle and Pistol Club - A gem located at the opening to Red Rock Canyon. The club is the oldest in southern Nevada having been founded in 1959 which puts it at 58 years old. Operating on BLM land with a use permit from Clark County it will be here for many years to come.

Over the past few years there have been many upgrades and restoration projects done on the range. In the next few years we will be undertaking an even more determined schedule of repair, restoration and improvement. A new master plan for that will be presented to the membership at the August membership meeting. I would encourage members to be there.

Over the past year the membership ranks have grown rapidly from just over 2000 to near 3000. Due to that unexpected growth rate openings for new members is being capped at 25 each month until an evaluation of range usage and availability can be conducted.

Good things are coming. If you are a member of DSRPC then plug in, check out and join in a match or two and enjoy all that the club and range has to offer.

*Check in to this thread in the future for updates. Feel free to use it for comments.

DSRPC.org

Last edited:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Later this summer Range 4 will come on line. It has 20 covered shooting positions with swing down benches. It has target placements at 7, 10, 15, 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards. It will be open for rifle and pistols.

Once Range 4 is on line the next priority will Range 7. This range will receive repairs done to several of the sun cover roofs that were damaged by the high winds this past spring. Once the structures are sound we will reroof them with standing seam metal roofing. Old paint will be stripped and everything sealed and repainted.

Downrange will be graded, berms reformed and targets mounts evaluated with appropriate repairs, lubrication and general upkeep performed. I'm looking forward to shooting this range and the matches there. Too much fun shooting open sights on small steel that knocks down when hit. We plan to open this range again to the general membership several times a week by the end of summer. This is another 20 shooting positions. I don't know of another silhouette range like this in southern Nevada.

It would be cool if one of the ranges were set up like a 3 gun course. Maybe some barricades, reactive targets, shooting from cover, etc. I kinda thought that's what range 4 was about just looking at the stuff out there. Obv the big downside is you're not lining up X number of people and having them all
For downrange. Might be a safety nightmare.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
There already is a USPAS Multi Gun match. Check the Event Calendar, there are a bunch of great matches that most members don't even know about or where to find out about.

I was the same way until recently. A few of us have been spectators at a couple of matches the past 2 weeks. Fun stuff, we are gearing up to shoot 3 of the 22 rifle matches soon. What's more fun than shooting 22 rifles? :party:

zimzim

Obsessed Member
Range 9 makes me want to shoot long range !! With all that steel out there why not ??

I will say though, the club does look MUCH different than the first time I went years ago...
Thanks for all the work the guys put it in.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Quickdraw, again, I'd like to say awesome work. Went by there today and saw r9 for the first time in a while. Looks good a. The way out.

Thanks for all the efforts! Glockaholic too!

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Range 9 makes me want to shoot long range !! With all that steel out there why not ??

I will say though, the club does look MUCH different than the first time I went years ago...
Thanks for all the work the guys put it in.
We're just getting going.

Quickdraw, again, I'd like to say awesome work. Went by there today and saw r9 for the first time in a while. Looks good a. The way out.

Thanks for all the efforts! Glockaholic too!
Somewhere along the line we're going to get R-1 online with some birds. Clay that is.

Couldn't have done it without Glockaholic along with a bunch of other volunteers.

There already is a USPAS Multi Gun match. Check the Event Calendar, there are a bunch of great matches that most members don't even know about or where to find out about.

I was the same way until recently. A few of us have been spectators at a couple of matches the past 2 weeks. Fun stuff, we are gearing up to shoot 3 of the 22 rifle matches soon. What's more fun than shooting 22 rifles? :party:

I think he meant it would be nice if it was always set up for practice. But I could see jerks ruining this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he meant it would be nice if it was always set up for practice. But I could see jerks ruining this setup.

Exactly. We were discussing this today while at range 3, then 9, then 6. It would be cool. I know it might not fly but there's already a lot of steel out there along with berms/target stands.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
You can setup on ranges 2 or 10 to run various run and gun scenarios. I did it for years with a group that would practice defense skills. It becomes more difficult trying to dedicate a range that way though. \

Range 4B (the back part of 4) was used for USPSA and had a bunch of equipment. Can't use that though unless 4A is closed down and that will be prime real estate when it comes online.

Then there is the issue of having the proper targets and shooters using the appropriate gun/ammo for those targets multiplied by 3 different types of guns. That becomes a safety issue as well as protecting club property. This all boils down to probably needing supervision. We need more RSOs as it is to meet our schedule.

It is an intriguing idea but there is probably a reason we don't see something like this elsewhere except maybe some dedicated training facilities. We have plenty of work ahead of us but maybe somewhere down the line this will get revisited and looked at for a limited and scheduled basis.

You can setup on ranges 2 or 10 to run various run and gun scenarios. I did it for years with a group that would practice defense skills. It becomes more difficult trying to dedicate a range that way though. \

Range 4B (the back part of 4) was used for USPSA and had a bunch of equipment. Can't use that though unless 4A is closed down and that will be prime real estate when it comes online.

Then there is the issue of having the proper targets and shooters using the appropriate gun/ammo for those targets multiplied by 3 different types of guns. That becomes a safety issue as well as protecting club property. This all boils down to probably needing supervision. We need more RSOs as it is to meet our schedule.

It is an intriguing idea but there is probably a reason we don't see something like this elsewhere except maybe some dedicated training facilities. We have plenty of work ahead of us but maybe somewhere down the line this will get revisited and looked at for a limited and scheduled basis.

Yeah, perhaps in the future it could be set up on a reservation system with a dedicated RSO so folks could train scenarios, not just compete.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
any plans in the future to have a self throwing clay pigeons area for shotguns like the old range 4?
That is Range 1. Most people don't even know about it. Very cool little area nestled back in a little canyon area. Later we'll look into a trailer mounted thrower but there are some logistics that go into that like who will know how to load and run it.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
For me, shooting Clay's is the only thing missing at the club. A good set up for it would be awesome . Really need to get out to a meeting at some point to my 2 penneth in.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

shim1313

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
That is Range 1. Most people don't even know about it. Very cool little area nestled back in a little canyon area. Later we'll look into a trailer mounted thrower but there are some logistics that go into that like who will know how to load and run it.
Thanks I have a step on thrower and miss it. I did not even know Range 1 was open

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Yeah range one is open for clays only. BYOT. I have picked one up but haven't made the time to go try yet.

Figures someone helps the club get their act together and I move away from town.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
We received a request to look into starting a 22 Tactical Rifle Match. That could be a lot of fun. :scsniper2: