Desert Sportsman's - A New Day is Dawning

How about some reactive steel targets in a couple of the pistol bays so we don't always have to drag something out there? What about the shotgun turnout that fits 2 trucks? Couldn't a small couple person cover be made? What about a thrower? Even if you didn't leave it there if you left X $$ at the gate like you do for target stands?

I guess I need to show up at a meeting. I don't want to be that guy but there seems to be plenty of lanes to set up for paper or steel. Something reactive? Something moving? Barricades? Shooting from cover? I'm thinking range 9 is already set up for tactical / PRS. I envision tactical 22 / tactical 9mm modified / tactical air gun / tactical tactical iron sights, etc.

Unpopular opinion probably so I'll go run for cover now...let the flaming commence.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
The tactical tactical ironsights sounds interesting, lol.

All jokes aside, I have to agree with Roach, seems like there needs to be a bit more diversity in the ranges

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
How about some reactive steel targets in a couple of the pistol bays so we don't always have to drag something out there? What about the shotgun turnout that fits 2 trucks? Couldn't a small couple person cover be made? What about a thrower? Even if you didn't leave it there if you left X $$ at the gate like you do for target stands?

I guess I need to show up at a meeting. I don't want to be that guy but there seems to be plenty of lanes to set up for paper or steel. Something reactive? Something moving? Barricades? Shooting from cover? I'm thinking range 9 is already set up for tactical / PRS. I envision tactical 22 / tactical 9mm modified / tactical air gun / tactical tactical iron sights, etc.

Unpopular opinion probably so I'll go run for cover now...let the flaming commence.
No duck and cover needed. We have a new Executive Range Officer and Construction Committee. There is also a New Master Plan being presented at the next members meeting. Go to the Website for details.

We also have the resources to fund the work needed to be done. The master plan has a priority schedule in it. 1st priority centers around opening up range 4 and 20 additional shooting positions for pistol and rifle from 7y to 200y. Next priority is to get repairs done on range 7. There was significant damage done by storms this past year. Suncovers on ranges 2 and 10. Improvement to multiple existing berms and more berm on several ranges. The current list has 40 items on it.

We need some new style matches started. More support for existing matches. We are focused on expanding use options for the property and bringing the entire property up to a new standard for use.

This is a major undertaking unlike anything this range has seen in decades. To do it right will take time to plan and complete. We're not talking months but years. In terms of months you have the basic 40 item list I started with. In terms of a finished product it isn't as simple as just throw something up against the wall and see what sticks. There are 3000 members each with their own wants. If you are currently a member then you will like what is about to get started. Suggestions are welcome, we want good ideas as we move forward.

Last edited:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Anything built on the range needs to meet criteria in terms of safety and sustainability. Steel is a challenge in both of those areas. I'd love to setup steel for a dedicated pistol scenario. From a safety issue how do you make sure that people shoot it from a safe distance? If it's club steel then we are responsible for its safe use. On the sustainability side how do you make sure that someone with a 223 doesnt shoot at it at pistol distances? You can't without full time supervision.

We added 25 new pieces of steel over the past year and within 2 months some were shot with magnum and/or AP style bullets. 3 were totally destroyed. There is and has been a reeducation process going on this past year and with good results. Unfortunately sometimes what can be done done devolves to the lowest common denominator.

Range 7 has close to 100 pieces of steel. Half are soft steel for 22 caliber and that steel is painted red to mark it. We're trying to work out a system to use this range in some way other than matches. Unfortunately some of that steel was already shot with 223's when nobody was watching. It is the best silhouette range in the valley and we have to have it monitored when used because people either have no.sense or just could care less about destroying expensive member targets.

Range 9 has been an unequaled success. It went from being nearly abandoned to being one of the most used ranges in the club. It has a little more love coming it's way to keep up with the wear and tear. That is expected and normal.

It's all well and good to turn a blind eye to the real challenges of running a range professionally. It's easy to say "I want my 50bmg". But this is the real world. We are dedicated to a running the range in a professional manner and that in and of itself will be a giant change.

Now this is reality and talk for serious minded people.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying but it sucks to have to suffer because of idiots. I don't know what the answer is though. I'm not sure I've ever read everything that's posted at the various ranges but If I haven't seen it maybe there needs to
be more signage about prohibited ammo and calibers?

I usually go or there with one other member and it's pretty mellow because we use common sense that doesn't seem to be all that common. Not that I want a bunch of nosey RSOs coming around every time I shoot, but I haven't ever seen anyone rolling through outside of an occasional ATV rolling by and waving. It's a tough call for sure.

Oh and one other suggestion: can you guys put a red and white flag on a pulley - mounted to a permanent pole - on range 9? One day the gusts were probably 50 and getting that pole in and out was sketchy.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I understand what you're saying but it sucks to have to suffer because of idiots. I don't know what the answer is though. I'm not sure I've ever read everything that's posted at the various ranges but If I haven't seen it maybe there needs to
be more signage about prohibited ammo and calibers?
So quick question for DSRPC members here: When was the last time you reviewed the range rules before going to the range?

Most members have taken little to no time at all to review the range rules since their initial Range Orientation class. There are a new set of range rules posted on the website at DSRPC.org under the rules tab. It is also in a new and more clear format with sections such as prohibited firearms and ammo. Part of the Master Plan will be a complete review of the range rules with a focus on "clarity and consistency". Once that review is completed we will get new signage posted using the new format at each range to make it much easier for the members to know and understand the range rules along with making in easier for the RSO's to enforce the rules consistently.

DSRPC.org

berserker19

recovering chocoholic
Thank you for the info. I would really like to submit an application and don't mind being on a waiting list since I plan on being here for a while... although when I contacted the club the response was that they weren't even making the applications available. If you have some insight on how I could accomplish this that would be helpful.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Thank you for the info. I would really like to submit an application and don't mind being on a waiting list since I plan on being here for a while... although when I contacted the club the response was that they weren't even making the applications available. If you have some insight on how I could accomplish this that would be helpful.
Let me look into that. Even though the club's bylaws has had an article relating to how to handle a membership cap it hasn't been exercised for a very long time if ever. The process will get sorted out soon so that all applicants are treated fairly and equally as the process moves forward.

Hopefully with new shooting positions coming online in the near future and once we can evaluate the range usage we can open things up a bit more. Another range in town not only shut off their new membership applications but they are also limiting the amount of time that each member can use a range. We definitely don't want to be put in position to go that route.

DSRPC.org

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Oh and one other suggestion: can you guys put a red and white flag on a pulley - mounted to a permanent pole - on range 9? One day the gusts were probably 50 and getting that pole in and out was sketchy.
All of you long range 6.5 guys are the same. If you went back to shooting 300 Win Mags you'd build up those biceps enough to raise and lower a little flag in a gentle breeze.

Oh, wait a minute I resemble that description... :blink:

All of you long range 6.5 guys are the same. If you went back to shooting 300 Win Mags you'd build up those biceps enough to raise and lower a little flag in a gentle breeze.

Oh, wait a minute I resemble that description... :blink:
The RPR is a pig to lug around though.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
The RPR is a pig to lug around though.
It is about 3lbs lighter than my old Savage 10BASK and once I get the Proof research carbon fiber barrel on it I'll drop almost 2 more lbs. This rifle has done more to promote the precision rifle sport than about any other single piece of gear ever.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I had a meeting today with an NRL rep. We went over the match, range and target package. The Tactical 22 match will be a blast. Everything is on track. We'll be presenting it to the membership at the meeting next month.

The next meeting will be jammed packed with information and new business.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
General Members meeting is this Thursday at 6:30pm. We're opening the doors at 5:30 to present the master plan for the range so members can review it before the meeting. During the meeting we will propose several items from the plan to be funded for the current month.

We will also introducing the new Construction Committee, electing a club Secretary, introducing the new Tactical 22 match and voting on the new Match Director. This meeting will be packed with business that will affect the club for years to come. We normally have about 1% of the membership there making decisions for the other 99%. If you are a member you might want to start coming to the meetings to learn what is happening at our club. :chair:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
We started on the Range 7 renovations today. We cleared 90% of the range for brush. Now we can start on the dirt work. Over the next few week well start taking bids to rebuild the sun covers, rot and paint. Probably sometime around October well have most of the major work done.

Friday on Range 5 I reshaped all of the berms and added 25 and 75 yard berms. This range is now setup with target placements at 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 and 200 yards. A perfect place to setup a 22 rifle and get DOPE for the upcoming Tactical 22 match.

Marketingslime

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
> Can husband and wives of members come as well? I know that they can't vote.

Yes, but they can only observe, not participate in debate, discussion, or votes.