Desert Sportsman's - A New Day is Dawning

Bulleteater

Big Stick policy
Forum Supporter
...Over the past few years there have been many upgrades and restoration projects done on the range. In the next few years we will be undertaking an even more determined schedule of repair, restoration and improvement...
Are the *public* shooting pits equipped with tables and cover?

Last year I had a training day at DSRPC with one of our forum sponsors. We had a large bay for the forum group but this bay did not have any shade or tables. Late July, and by 9am it was pretty uncomfortable.

Guest fees: My understanding from the DSRPC website is that it is $5.00 for the day is that correct? I am not a club member. I need an outdoor range to confirm zero on my .22 rifle. A 25 yd pit should be enough, but I need a table and shade.

Thanks in advance.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Are the *public* shooting pits equipped with tables and cover?

Last year I had a training day at DSRPC with one of our forum sponsors. We had a large bay for the forum group but this bay did not have any shade or tables. Late July, and by 9am it was pretty uncomfortable.

Guest fees: My understanding from the DSRPC website is that it is $5.00 for the day is that correct? I am not a club member. I need an outdoor range to confirm zero on my .22 rifle. A 25 yd pit should be enough, but I need a table and shade.

Thanks in advance.
There are no "public" areas of the range. You must be a member or be a guest of a member who is present with you at all times. Each member can bring 4 guests at a time, $5 a head. I've never tried to leave and come back with guests but it would seem reasonable that $5 covers all day.

The main range (#6 IIRC) has ranges from 5 yards to 400 and is covered. Make friends with a member and tag along one day or spend the cash to join.

Another option would be a 22lr match. You don't need to be a member to shoot a match. Lots of matches will give time to zero before the match.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
As stated Desert Sportsman's does not have any "public ranges". Boulder Range does so maybe there is some confusion there. Desert Sportsman's is a private club. That said ranges #2 and #10 have larger bays that members can setup the way they want, within range rules of course. These ranges currently do not have any sun shade. We are currently taking bids to put sun shades on these ranges. That may be ready for a member vote at the next meeting.

Guest fees are $5 per day. If you want to leaver and return without an additional fee you must check out at the gate house on your way out. Range #5 and #6 both have a 25 yard target placements. On ranges 2 and 10 a shooter can set up targets and back up to any distance within the bay which could be as far as 45 yards depending on the bay.

Desert Sportsman's currently has capped memberships at 25 new members per month and may need to follow suit with other local ranges soon by shutting off taking new applications all together.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
In other news the new 22 Tactical match now has a schedule and starting date. The inaugural match will be September 23rd and will continue on the 4th Saturday of each month after that.

Precision Rifle Match will be moving to the 3rd Saturday of each month starting in September.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
How many signed up so far ? I signed up via the practiscore the other day.

Now to figure out which 22 to use and which ammo :)

Should be fun.

How many signed up so far ? I signed up via the practiscore the other day.

Now to figure out which 22 to use and which ammo :)

Should be fun.
Just finished a new 22lr build using a Kidd Ultralight barrel and JHW bolt in a Titan 1022 stock. I like it it :cool: Sent my wife's barrel and bolt to Randy at CPC for accurizing and have a chassis from PMACA on order since she needs something light.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
The upcoming match has some nice looking stages....though that 1/4" target will most likely not have to worry about me hitting it :)

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I was planning on using my 10/22 Target rifle for the match but decided yesterday to do a custom build. I haven't spent any money in quite a while for guns other than optics.

I had just finished doing ammo tests using 7 types of 22 ammo and I found several rounds that shot really well and consistent. I'll probably be posting up my 10/22 target rifle here in a week or two for sale. I'm just waiting for the pieces/parts for the new build to come in. This target rifle is a 50th Year Anniversary model I picked up in 2014 and it just sat in the safe until the past month. I'm heading out this morning to shoot a 22 benchrest match.

I was planning on using my 10/22 Target rifle for the match but decided yesterday to do a custom build. I haven't spent any money in quite a while for guns other than optics.

I had just finished doing ammo tests using 7 types of 22 ammo and I found several rounds that shot really well and consistent. I'll probably be posting up my 10/22 target rifle here in a week or two for sale. I'm just waiting for the pieces/parts for the new build to come in. This target rifle is a 50th Year Anniversary model I picked up in 2014 and it just sat in the safe until the past month. I'm heading out this morning to shoot a 22 benchrest match.
Was breaking in my new custom 22lr today on range 5. Is range 7 open now for 22lr so we can practice the COF for NRL22?

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Was breaking in my new custom 22lr today on range 5. Is range 7 open now for 22lr so we can practice the COF for NRL22?

It isn't open to the general membership yet. We will get to that point over the next few months once we can decide on what type of permanent targets to set up there and where to place them. In the meantime keep checking into the website and event calendar for times when we open it up for an set period of time and we will put up temporary targets during that time.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
The membership authorized getting permanent steel targets cut and built for Range 7. Once they are installed we'll start opening Range 7 on a limited and expanding schedule for 22LR rifles.

We are making a set of regulation size animal silhouettes for the lever action match style shooters and also round targets of sizes from 1/4" to 6" for the Precision Rifle match style shooters. Once completed it will be a great place for everyone from match shooters to someone that wants to bring out one of their kids and have fun ringing steel.

22LR has been becoming popular all over again in the recent past. Ammo is readily available again. Getting this range open and running again will be a big deal.

I thought there was a dedicated DSRPC thread at some point, but I guess this will do. Anyway what's up no magnum calibers at range 9. I get no armor piercing I even kinda get no 50 cal but no magnum? Is 7wsm okay because nobody can tell it's a magnum?

So the cheapest ammo TULAMMO cannot be shot there.. cause if it sticks to magnet full metal or bi-metal its not allowed. It goes thru there 1/2 steel plate. Whats weird is indoor ranges let you shoot cheap tulammo. I guess its part metal and not a peircing ammo not enough to dent their ar500 1 inch or 3 inch. But ordinary steel, even 223 556 non pericing ammo will go thru steel if its ordinary steel. High end ammo dsrpc, cheap plingking fun ammo sloan..

So ironically I was talking to the guy at the gate today and mentioned there were a lot more people on range 9 then a usual Sunday and we chalked it up to the cooler weather. He mentioned the rules have been changed for range 9 to include magnum calibers. No armor piercing steel core of course.

875 is kind of a waste for the .338 LM but the 1 MOA targets with consistency is my goal.

So the cheapest ammo TULAMMO cannot be shot there.. cause if it sticks to magnet full metal or bi-metal its not allowed. It goes thru there 1/2 steel plate. Whats weird is indoor ranges let you shoot cheap tulammo. I guess its part metal and not a peircing ammo not enough to dent their ar500 1 inch or 3 inch. But ordinary steel, even 223 556 non pericing ammo will go thru steel if its ordinary steel. High end ammo dsrpc, cheap plingking fun ammo sloan..

I think you are confusing the rules not allowing steel PROJECTILES (bullets) with steel CASED ammo.

So ironically I was talking to the guy at the gate today and mentioned there were a lot more people on range 9 then a usual Sunday and we chalked it up to the cooler weather. He mentioned the rules have been changed for range 9 to include magnum calibers. No armor piercing steel core of course.

875 is kind of a waste for the .338 LM but the 1 MOA targets with consistency is my goal.

Range 9 is usually full/busy on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I only go if I have time during the week.