Desert Sportsman's - A New Day is Dawning

I go during the same time on Sundays and more often then not I'm the only one there outside of whoever I told no meet me out there.

Not that I care I'll shoot anyway.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Range rules posted on the club website for range 9 state:

Allowed Firearms and Ammunition• All non-magnum calibers of centerfire and black powder rifles.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
So no rule change planned for magnum calibers?
Not that I know of but there are those who would make a decision like that for personal reasons. There are safety issues involved beyond just the damage to club property question.

Magnum calibers carry too much impact energy and even though the AR500 steel can handle that the supporting hardware and structure would sustain too much damage on an increased timeline. Anyone that had designed and built targets and shooting ranges would understand what that means. People that don't have that experience only think about the actual impact into the steel. It is not nearly that simple of an issue.

All targets shot with firearms are consumable. Everything from paper to standard steel to AR rated steels. It all comes down to what an acceptable rate of consumption would be. Magnum calibers have proven to cause too much damage too quickly. DSRPC has steel on Range 3 and 6 where magnum calibers are allowed. Those targets are large heavy duty plates of shaker plate steel. When they fail they are much more easily repaired or replaced.

Last edited:

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
Not that I know of. Magnum calibers carry too much impact energy and even though the AR500 steel can handle that the supporting hardware and structure would sustain too much damage on an increased timeline. Anyone that had designed and built targets and shooting ranges would understand what that means. People that don't have that experience only think about the actual impact into the steel. It is not nearly that simple of an issue.

All targets shot with firearms are consumable. Everything from paper to standard steel to AR rated steels. It all comes down to what an acceptable rate of consumption would be. Magnum calibers have proven to cause too much damage too quickly. DSRPC has steel on Range 3 and 6 where magnum calibers are allowed. Those targets are large heavy duty plates of shaker plate steel. When they fail they are much more easily repaired or replaced.
I don't think it takes a genius or a range designer to figure the magnum rule out. It's purely a simple physics thing. Given the prior post, my curiosity was peaked. Let's face it, range 9 is pretty limited for longer range shooters. I'm happy to hump my targets to the desert to shoot past 1k when I feel the need.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Somebody was confused by either the question or the answer, neither of which the exact wording have we seen. Normal steel-cased cheap ammunition with bimetallic bullets is allowed for many activities at DSRPC. There may be some specific matches that disallow it.

The difference between “bi-metal” jacketed ammunition and copper jacked on targets (of all kinds) is negligible if any. This has been proven scientifically and in practice. I wish ranges, of all types, would just be honest.... the reason they don’t allow steel CASED ammunition is they either want to sell their own ammo to patrons OR they want to collect the brass to reload or sell (or both) and don’t want to have to do the extra sorting. If they said that I could respect them instead they stick to this “causes damage to targets” or “safety” BS.

The difference between “bi-metal” jacketed ammunition and copper jacked on targets (of all kinds) is negligible if any. This has been proven scientifically and in practice. I wish ranges, of all types, would just be honest.... the reason they don’t allow steel CASED ammunition is they either want to sell their own ammo to patrons OR they want to collect the brass to reload or sell (or both) and don’t want to have to do the extra sorting. If they said that I could respect them instead they stick to this “causes damage to targets” or “safety” BS.

Its also those are ordinary steel. Anything will go thru them.. if that was ar500 stell even 1/5 is hard to penetrate..

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I remember when this was a thread full of hope and talking about all of the positive changes at DSRPC. Now it is a thread full of misinformation and total confusion. This is what happens when members won't take the time to attend the monthly membership meetings to ask questions and make their voice heard. Expect this trend to continue in the months to come. When 25 members make decisions for the other 3000 members or even when 7 E-Board members most of which ran unopposed seek the power to control the entire range and it's 3000 members you never can tell what decisions will be made.

This is such a nice property that is being totally mismanaged but when the membership as a whole looks the other way then we'll all get what we deserve. Hide and watch.

I have no desire to badmouth desert sportsman. It is what it is and if the membership doesn’t like it they can step up or not. My relationship ended with DS 10 or 12 years ago. I originally joined back in the day when it was basically “self serve“ and open 24/7. It is Literally five minutes from where I live and I enjoyed going there all the time. Almost overnight it turned into a “club” complete with range overlords running around on ATV’s, membership meetings, unnecessary rules, limited hours and fuds galore. No thanks! In case the “Board” hasn’t noticed, there are endless acres surrounding Vegas where we can shoot to our hearts content without some power tripping yahoo breathing down our neck. I don’t miss it.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
This is such a nice property that is being totally mismanaged but when the membership as a whole looks the other way then we'll all get what we deserve. Hide and watch.
Is it possible people are happy with the way it's run? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on how it could be made better.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Enjoy it while you can. It is just 1 lawsuit or whistle blower's phone call away from being no more. Any way I didn't start this thread to go the direction it has so I'm out for now.

I bumped this wondering about the magnum rule on range 9. Though I am no structural engineer or metallurgist like others on this board I have shot thousands upon thousands upon thousands of rounds at the same cheap eBay 3/8” AR 500 plate with brackets from Kurt at LV steel and the same $20 worth of conduit. I have a hard time believing that shooting a 650/7xx/875 is going to sustain infinitely more damage then what is currently being done.

With what $500,000+ a year? In dues I think the range can swing it. Isn’t everyone there a volunteer?

As far as meetings I know a lot of us work. I’m working during those meeting hours.

totenschadel

Forum Supporter
I've been a DSRPC member for ten years and yes the self serve aspect was nice, but there was some really REALLY stupid stuff going on up there and yes the few ruined it for the majority. I am more than satisfied with the improvements to the ranges over the years, and have thrown my efforts into a few work parties years back. I do question the total take on membership dues and where those funds are going, additionally I find it interesting there is no new memberships being accepted???

Honestly I'm amazed that the range is still there with the encroachment of Summerlin developments and the political pressure from the County, BLM and whoever else wants to piss all over our shooting sports. Developers have entitlements in this city to muscle out who ever they choose; its very interesting they havent pushed harder to shut the range down to make their home sales "more palatable" for the libtards pouring in from So Cal. I want to deny the inevitability, but its a matter of time until people start populating the Summerlin area directly North of the gates and pressure the local representatives to close DSRPC for good. One homeowner with a bullet and a call to the local news is all its going to take to start that fire.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Well this is what i read maybe i misunderstood...

I agree it appears to say that. I do not believe it to be correct; though I've not perused the bylaws this year for such changes.. I know for a fact that ammunition is shot by many members. Please let me know who told you that.
johnTaylor said:
Isn’t everyone there a volunteer?
No, some are paid. I do not know how much or which ones.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
Work schedule has always been my issue attending meetings.

@Quickdraw Where does this lawsuit/whistle blowers stuff come from? What is the imminent threat to the range? I would love to know and you can take it to PM's if you don't want to post publicly.

As I understand it, and this came from a meeting I attended back in 2006 where representatives of the Summerlin council and BLM were in attendance, Summerlin development towards red rock Canyon is complete. All of that undeveloped land is within the red rock conservation area. There will be no more houses or other development. The Howard Hughes Corporation did own that land but they ceded it to the feds in exchange for parcels further south. My next-door neighbor is a member of the Summerlin south board and I have attended several community meetings over the years. Desert sportsman has never come up in the “bich and moan” sessions.