Desert Sportsman's - A New Day is Dawning

I agree it appears to say that. I do not believe it to be correct; though I've not perused the bylaws this year for such changes.. I know for a fact that ammunition is shot by many members. Please let me know who told you that.

No, some are paid. I do not know how much or which ones.

The gentleman that speaks during orientations.

totenschadel

Forum Supporter
As I understand it, and this came from a meeting I attended back in 2006 where representatives of the Summerlin council and BLM were in attendance, Summerlin development towards red rock Canyon is complete. All of that undeveloped land is within the red rock conservation area. There will be no more houses or other development. The Howard Hughes Corporation did own that land but they ceded it to the feds in exchange for parcels further south. My next-door neighbor is a member of the Summerlin south board and I have attended several community meetings over the years. Desert sportsman has never come up in the “bich and moan” sessions.
Have you seen the current development? Summerlin homes are dead across the highway from the main entrance to DS. Since '06 BLM released additional parcels to the West, the lots were surveyed and pads were started in '08 and then abandoned during the crash, they are now finishing that area.

That is Range 1. Most people don't even know about it. Very cool little area nestled back in a little canyon area. Later we'll look into a trailer mounted thrower but there are some logistics that go into that like who will know how to load and run it.
range one used to be off limits because of the desert turtles.............

berserker19

recovering chocoholic
I am a new member this year and kind of curious about range 9 but haven't shot there yet. Is it basically just preset steel targets that you can engage from any firing position? Or do you need to be at a specific position to fire on specific ranged targets? I'm trying to find the best way to practice for my military rifle qual on my own time with my ACOG. Also does DS care if you shoot off the bench (prone unsupported or sitting)? I've only seen people doing this at matches so unsure

steve

Obsessed Member
I am a new member this year and kind of curious about range 9 but haven't shot there yet. Is it basically just preset steel targets that you can engage from any firing position? Or do you need to be at a specific position to fire on specific ranged targets? I'm trying to find the best way to practice for my military rifle qual on my own time with my ACOG. Also does DS care if you shoot off the bench (prone unsupported or sitting)? I've only seen people doing this at matches so unsure
You can engage from any position. We have practiced prone and sitting also.

Good To Go

Summerlin
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Have you seen the current development? Summerlin homes are dead across the highway from the main entrance to DS. Since '06 BLM released additional parcels to the West, the lots were surveyed and pads were started in '08 and then abandoned during the crash, they are now finishing that area.

Good To Go

Summerlin
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
One of the KB homes for sale that looks at the range is a 3Bed 2 bath 1875 sq ft. for 600K plus, the price includes the 60K lot premium.
So see, you pay extra to look at the Range. Nice to know we add value to their development.

When looking at the homes they mention the "gun range" across the way.

Steve

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
The question of magnum calibers came up at the meeting last night. Item was discussed for 45 minutes and members voted to keep Range 9 as is with Magnum Calibers Prohibited.

There was a suggestion to develop Range 8 into a magnum caliber long distance range so all of you guys interested in that can volunteer to be involved in this project.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Like the first and foremost problem that range 8 and 9 cannot operate simultaneously...
At the Member Meeting the other night, there was a request to look into changing the use of Range 8. They may start planning to install a shooting area to be aligned with Range 9 and therefore be used at the same time. It was also suggested to have Range 8 developed into a magnum friendly long distance range. Right now that range is only used maybe 6 to 7 times per year for the F-Class Match. That is about 15 hours a year.

If properly planned and developed Range 8 could be very nice.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
At the Member Meeting the other night, there was a request to look into changing the use of Range 8. They may start planning to install a shooting area to be aligned with Range 9 and therefore be used at the same time. It was also suggested to have Range 8 developed into a magnum friendly long distance range. Right now that range is only used maybe 6 to 7 times per year for the F-Class Match. That is about 15 hours a year.

If properly planned and developed Range 8 could be very nice.
I think it’s a great idea. My range here in Rio Rancho has a 20 place range with pits for target pullers/markets and goes out to 1000 yards. It’s pretty sweet.

Range 8 has lots of potential. The big problem is moving the shooting positions to be inline with range 9 or find a way to sufficiently protect the positions from range 9. Neither sound like they’re inexpensive.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
It's easy enough to be a member and ignore the drama. Most members do. I make only a couple meetings a year because of my work, but I'm kinda glad I miss most of the drama at the same time. I get manic sometimes and want to help out more, and one day I hopefully can. The match directors really do need more support out there and they need to be commended for what they actually do through it all.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Here’s a place I always wanted to join but due to such terrible reports I have steered clear of it. Wish you guys luck.
I’ve been a member for 6 years or so. Never once had a bad interaction. Matches are fun. I’m off during the week so I do miss the weekend crowd. I practically never had to share range space and was able to work from the holster, shoot and move, etc. if you live closer to DS than Boulder City it really is a no brainer.

Last edited: