Dillon or Hornady

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
And yet I managed to break one on a .30-06 Berdan anyway. I was probably really in a groove at the time and not expecting it. Of course, LEE mailed me a new expander assembly immediately (the pin is machined onto it instead of separately attached.)

I was very apologetic and the guy was acting like it had never happened before!

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
And yet I managed to break one on a .30-06 Berdan anyway. I was probably really in a groove at the time and not expecting it. Of course, LEE mailed me a new expander assembly immediately (the pin is machined onto it instead of separately attached.)
Can't imagine how that could happen, unless maybe the inside of the collet was really rough or rusted and wouldn't let the decapper slide thru.

Usually the decapper pin/ expander just slides up thru the little collet at the top, no harm done, although I did have a set of .308 dies I sent back because the collet was frozen, so was the pin passing thru the collet, I think the collet was cross threaded and over tightened, anyway, , it actually converted a Berdan to a Boxer,, but I had a heckuva time getting the shell back out of the die, it stuck to the pin and pulled the rim off. Lee sent me a new one promptly.
Yours may have had a metallurgical failure that allowed it to break before reaching the point where it either slipped thru the collet or punched a hole in the case bottom.
The decapping pins are tungsten carbide, pretty strong, but they do sometimes have structural flaws.
Did it break off evenly, or on an angle, leaving a sharp end? The ones I have seen break due to flaws in the crystal structure of the Tungsten Carbide ended up sharp like a needle, which is a pretty come sight when you snap a piece of TC.

MCD

tired of wanna-bee's put up or shut up.
I prefer the Lee dies for several reasons, not the least of which is it is nigh on to impossible to break the decapping pin because it is captured in a collet.
Hit a hard primer or try to deprime a Berdan , no problem, the decapping pin just pushes up through the collets grasp, but it doesnt break.
end of the day - they are all made well and, will do all the things you have mentioned here. price dictates to some, name to others. the point is helping the op... none of us have done that. I stick to what I started with. pick one and, work with it. it will serve you well.

MCD

tired of wanna-bee's put up or shut up.
What? :unsure: The last twenty odd posts have been a discussion of brands, preferences, and advantages or disadvantages in each users opinion. Isn’t that by definition trying to help the OP out?
right. my point was to say we all have used and, liked different ones.
but ok, let's take a tally thus far. get the Dillon press and LEE dies. roughly - 10 opinions to Dillon, 3 for Hornady, 2 for RCBS and 5 for LEE dies.

gundamit

Super Duper Noob
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Dillon
Better resale value
Faster
Pricey as all hell
Enough said

You cant go wrong with either one depends on how valuable your time is or how patient you are, meaning each has its quirks an ive own most an almost all except for some odd (before inwas born) presses.

Arbors, coax, dillons , lees, etc

DLKnives

Retired Knifemaker
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I bought my first press, a Dillon 550B and all the accessories back in 2003. I've never had a problem, never needed a part. Now I'm selling it all due to health issues but if it were me I'd go Dillon all the way. I ordered through Brian Enos.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I've only used Dillon dies on my Dillon 550. Ironically, I've only used Lee dies on my Lee! 😂

If i load 300 BO I'll most likely use the Lee dies I bought on my 550.

BBC-M

Gun freak # 102,000,000,1
Commercial Sponsor
They're both dayum good and both have their issues. Set up takes a bit of work to get either running like a top. I have the lnl ammo plant and some day plan to add a 650 as well as perhaps a 550 or another lnl.
It would be nice not to have to change over all the time.
I can get you either setup and would love the chance to price out either or both the way you want them.

DLKnives

Retired Knifemaker
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I've only used Dillon dies on my Dillon 550. Ironically, I've only used Lee dies on my Lee! 😂

If i load 300 BO I'll most likely use the Lee dies I bought on my 550.
I had all Dillon dies too except for .454 Casull which are Hornaday.