• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

DIY Kydex holster

I searched and there were a couple really old threads instead of bumping something from the dead I figured I start a new one.

After searching and finding simple OWB holsters for $50 I decided that I'm going to give making a couple holsters a try. Anyone making your own? Seems pretty straight forward. The only thing I'm curious about at this time is seating the eyelets. I should add that my goal is to not buy any specialized equipment and only spend $$ on the kydex, clips, rivets, and foam for the press.

Tips and tricks?

Nice. It's a race to see who does something first. I have 4 pieces of black kydex sitting on my desk at work. I kind of lost motivation time to get to it.

emcon5

Debris Blanc
So I built a press yesterday, there were a bundle of 24" long 2X6s and a ~5' section of 1X4 in the scrap pile at Home Depot last time I was there, so I think I paid $3 for them, and some cheap hinges. I need to figure out foam, I have a blue camping mat from Wal Mart that will probably work, just not sure how it will handle the heat.

I am thinking of just covering the foam with an old T shirt, I expect the kydex will cool pretty fast, it may be enough insulation.

My plan it to make a simple taco-type holster for my CZ-82, doing pretty much exactly what this guy did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsOv-L1rn2A

I bought a couple different clips, will see which works best, I am leaning toward the first one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BLWKQYA
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0106ONFFQ

echo1er

uber Member
I searched and there were a couple really old threads instead of bumping something from the dead I figured I start a new one.

After searching and finding simple OWB holsters for $50 I decided that I'm going to give making a couple holsters a try. Anyone making your own? Seems pretty straight forward. The only thing I'm curious about at this time is seating the eyelets. I should add that my goal is to not buy any specialized equipment and only spend $$ on the kydex, clips, rivets, and foam for the press.

Tips and tricks?
tip: prep the gun. make a sight channel for the front sight with three pencils.
use blue tape. grab some floor mats and a some clamps since not wanting to buy special equipment.

use oven to heat up to 315 for at least 1 min at .080 thick.

when foaming make sure you let it sit for 15 mins to cool down once its reaches 90 ish degrees.

I make kydex for hobby and still and learning thing.

what weapon are you making a holster for?

tip: prep the gun. make a sight channel for the front sight with three pencils.
use blue tape. grab some floor mats and a some clamps since not wanting to buy special equipment.

when foaming make sure you let it sit for 15 mins to cool down once its reaches 90 ish degrees.

I make kydex for hobby and still and learning thing.

what weapon are you making a holster for?
A sig p320rx for starters just a simple owb. I have holsters already for anything I carry -sig 239/g43 / PPS

That came out pretty goods. Do you have a white pen to help with the cut outline. I like to make taco style holster to make it one piece. Great job

emcon5

Debris Blanc
Can you elaborate on this? Are you using your kitchen oven, or a toaster oven?

When you say heat it up to 315º, are you talking the temp of the oven, or are you measuring the temp of the Kydex itself?

I see lots of scary stories about using the kitchen oven, but I tried it anyway, set it for 330º and left the Kydex in there for a while, probably 7 or 8 minutes, and it got somewhat flexible, but didn't seem to be bendy enough to work, so I gave up, and was going to try and scrounge a used toaster oven.

Thanks

Can you elaborate on this? Are you using your kitchen oven, or a toaster oven?

When you say heat it up to 315º, are you talking the temp of the oven, or are you measuring the temp of the Kydex itself?

I see lots of scary stories about using the kitchen oven, but I tried it anyway, set it for 330º and left the Kydex in there for a while, probably 7 or 8 minutes, and it got somewhat flexible, but didn't seem to be bendy enough to work, so I gave up, and was going to try and scrounge a used toaster oven.

Thanks
I use a toaster. Set it to 315. Then I get a hear gun gauge and gauge the kydex and the oven. Also make sure the place the kydex shinny side up. You can find a toaster at good will before they go out of business. Ensure you get the biggest one so you don't make the same mistakes as me trying to fit a big block on a little circle kind of problem.

Earthquake

Obsessed Member
I do mine on a cookie sheet with a piece of foil on it, I do it in my kitchen oven at about 350°, don't fold the foil around the pan. I heat it for a few minutes and test by lifting up the foil, if the Kydex does not bend the same as the foil I leave it be for another minute and lift the foil again. Nice thing about the foil it makes it easy to get off the cookie sheet, the cookie sheet also helps keep it hot until you get to where you are working.
I have only done a few cheek pieces and never a molded holster or sheath but I would try it the same way and see if it works, I have also only worked with 1/8" Kydex.

Casey

emcon5

Debris Blanc
Hit a couple garage sales Saturday and scored a brand spanking new toaster oven for $10. Also took advantage of the Harbor Freight Labor Day sale and got a laser sighted non-contact thermometer for about $20, and tried it out on my CZ-82,

Made 2 prototypes, one a IWB taco-type and the other a pancake style.

I screwed up on the taco a little bit, the kydex slipped in the press, so the top of the pistol is not in the fold, but I think I can live with that, at least to use as a prototype for the clip location.

Still work to do, but it is a start.

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Wow, good stuff here. Don't think I'll ever have the ambition to do one Myself. You guys are making some good looking holsters. Good job!