• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do you agree with this list of worst car brands to best?

Just an Average Joe

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Couldn't sit through the entire thing, so skipped to the end.....

and I DO agree with his top choice, Toyota (which includes Lexus IMO), and Honda as #2.

He ranked Ford #3.

Have owned a few Fords and there is one in my garage now. They make some really fun performance cars, but have to say I question the #3 ranking, as my personal experience has been lots of time at the dealer for warranty work......

Rem222

RD2
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Driving a 96 Accord and a 2002 4Runner. Their reliability has been impeccable. Looks like they will outlast me.

Maxx

Most Infamous Member (.50 BMG)
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Worst:
#1 Jaguar
#2 Land Rover
#3 Volvo

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I don't want to sit through the video.
You can't go wrong with Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Nissan brands.
I have 2 Fords in the garage. If they were not under factory warranty, I wouldn't! ?

Koyote

Active member (5.56mm)
I think it depends are how well you take care of your vehicle. While not an outstanding truck, my precision size 2001 Chevy S-10 with 136000+ mi. on it is in great condition. I don't have a garage to put it in, but the paint and coating makes it look almost pristine. I immediately replace parts as they wear out, as things tend to do. It's not the vehicle, but the driver!

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
I’ve been fortunate with all of my vehicles. Ran a couple of them out of oil, filled it up and kept going. Oil changes are generally 2 months after I remember them

nikk

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I am a big Scotty Kilmer fan. The only cars that I will buy are Honda or Toyota, since about 20 years ago. As Scotty said in another video, Honda has the better engine, Toyota has the better transmission. Any other cars are a distant 3rd from these two and only look good when compared to the garbage at the bottom of the heap. There are many cars that he did not mention, of course, which are terrible, such as Volkswagen and Cooper MINI. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Fiat and Mitsubishi are very near the bottom with Jaguar and Land Rover, at the bottom.

All Honda's and Toyota's are not created equally. I love the size and styling of the Rav 4 but the engine is buzzy and annoying. They always have been. Sitting at a stop-light, the dash and steering wheel vibrate. The Honda Odyssey has transmission problems.

If I were buying a car today, it would probably be an Acura RDX or a Honda Passport. However, things are going electric. Every manufacturer is starting to make an electric or they must at least be considering it, so in 2022, who knows? Hyundai already has several models and BMW has one. I haven't kept up with the news but I think that Porsche and Mercedes either have one or it is in the works. I heard that VW is going all electric but that may be bad info. Tesla intrigues me but touch screen controls do not work well for everything. Honda learned this with the Pilot. They went back to a real knob for volume control of the sound system.

The future will be interesting and it will change this whole conversation two years from now.

GlenBaker

I have a 2014 Chevy Volt. Because I work 12 miles from home and I stop at stores on the way home, I'm getting around 200 MPG.

I wish I could afford a 2016 2nd Volt, 52 miles per charge and 42 MPG on the gas engine alone.
My electric bill has increased between $15-$22 a month as far as I can figure.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
I don't know nuttin' about car brands. All I know is how to drive a car, and when something stops workin' to fix it if I can or get someone else to fix it for me, or to junk it.

My Mercury Mystique died a mysterious death when I wasn't mature enough to understand anything about how cars worked. Just a mysterious black box to me at that time, so I withold judgement.
My 2003 Ford Focus was a good car 'till I wrecked it.
My 2007 Ford Focus is still a good car with 243,500 miles on the clock. Most of them are hard taxi-like city miles. I replaced the secondary air intake and motor mounts, and probably the battery a couple of times. It eats blinker bulbs for breakfast, but otherwise seems great. Handles snow better than any car I've had except maybe my 2003 Focus.
My Mom's 2013 Ford Focus is a POS with BS traction control software, a questionable transmission, and electrical issues in the doors and trunk.
I've not known of substantial problems with my Dad's first Mitsubishi Truck, nor his later Dodge Dakota, nor his current 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD. The Tacoma is fantastic off road.
My 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander seems fine other than the interior plastic paneling falling apart really easily, and who needs plastic bits covering the bolt heads anyway? 115,000 miles on the clock right now. Seems like a good car to cram 7 people into or a lot of cargo, and still get decent gas mileage.

Last edited:

turborich

Toyota, Honda and Ford would be my top choices. I've owned many Ford's and Toyota's which have been excellent vehicles. Honda makes exceptional engines for power equipment, ATV's, UTV's, motorcycles, etc and I know their vehicles are very reliable as well.

Subaru's are not what they once were, still good vehicles IMO. Nissan has really gone down hill since the merger with Renault, used to be a super reliable vehicle, not nearly as good any more. I wouldn't buy one. Same with Fiat/Chrysler, bunch of junk IMO. They've only got one good thing going for them and that's the Cummin's engine. Best thing to do with that Cummin's is to swap it into an older Ford 6.4 liter super duty truck! GM is GM, Their trucks seem decent, but IMO everything else is a mess.

I watch Scotty and half of his stuff is on point, the other half is just nonsense. I strongly disagree with him about new Hyundai's and Kia's being junk. I think they are actually pretty reliable vehicles.

Koyote

Active member (5.56mm)
I just got back my 2001 Chevy S-10 from the Collision Center. I was the victim of a minor hit and run. Thankfully a witness stepped up and got a license plate which the local gendarmes was able to track down. The culprit admitted to the violation and her insurance paid for my repairs. It was only a 12" gash in the right fender. Strangely enough when I bought the truck it had a gash there which I repaired, then I accidentally hit a bumper guard on another truck putting a gash, same size, same location. So basically that fender has been fixed 3X. Making the rest of the truck a little worn. Oh, well. It is my first truck and the only complaint has been my ex-gf (we are still friends) who has long legs and couldn't stretch out when we went on a road trip. It is an X-tended cab which has made it nice for me to lean back and take naps during a long trip. The only thing different I would like to have done was get a 4WD. Perhaps next time, but some how I think this truck may outlast me.

turborich

I just got back my 2001 Chevy S-10 from the Collision Center. I was the victim of a minor hit and run. Thankfully a witness stepped up and got a license plate which the local gendarmes was able to track down. The culprit admitted to the violation and her insurance paid for my repairs. It was only a 12" gash in the right fender. Strangely enough when I bought the truck it had a gash there which I repaired, then I accidentally hit a bumper guard on another truck putting a gash, same size, same location. So basically that fender has been fixed 3X. Making the rest of the truck a little worn. Oh, well. It is my first truck and the only complaint has been my ex-gf (we are still friends) who has long legs and couldn't stretch out when we went on a road trip. It is an X-tended cab which has made it nice for me to lean back and take naps during a long trip. The only thing different I would like to have done was get a 4WD. Perhaps next time, but some how I think this truck may outlast me.
Those older S-10's weren't bad trucks. As long as they're maintained they do pretty well.

Koyote

Active member (5.56mm)
One thing not mentioned in this thread is the dealership that takes care of your vehicles. I had a '69 Toyota Corona and it was great the first ten years. I then took it in for a tune up and about a week later my son drove out of town. About 15 miles down the road, the car turned off. Parked off to the side and hitched a ride back into town where I got my company's truck and a tow chain. Drove back out, pulled the Toyota back into town to the dealership. The next day they called and said, I needed a major motor overhaul, some $700, which was a lot in those days. I am not mechanically inclined and decided to sell the car. After I sold it to an elderly gentlemen for his daughter to use to go to school, he returned with the license plate which I allowed him to use temporarily and told me it did not need the overhaul, that the condenser or some such thing has come loose. So it really turned me off to Toyota dealerships, not the car just the dealerships. Needless to say, since then, I no longer have taken my vehicles into them, rather I have gone to various mechanics for whatever needs repair. My neighbor-mechanic would give me advice as to what may be wrong with my vehicles and gave me suggestions as to where to take it. I told him I would not let him work on it because if something didn't work out, I would not want to be angry at him. He understood that. So, when choosing the best/worst brand of vehicle you may want to own/not own, take into account the dealership as well.

turborich

Yeah, it's hard to find a good honest mechanic, especially if you're not hip to the mechanical aspect of it. It's so easy for a shop to charge you for a part you don't need or perhaps they never even installed.