Does anyone in the Reno, Carson City area still carry black powder?

tuolumnejim

Very Active Member
Forum Supporter
The few times I've seen it in a store of any kind, anywhere, it's been just FFg and FFFg, rifle and pistol.

At your desired quantities, just buy a case and pony up the HAZMAT fee: https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/goex-black-powder-cannon-1/
Yep I know where to order it from I was just hoping to find some local. Powder valley is a couple of bucks less than Grafs and Sons but their hazmat is double and their shipping is high, so if you need to order black powder use Grafs.

Cabela's doesn't carry black powder.
They sometimes have black powder substitute, which is not black powder.

OP, I've looked in the area through the years I've lived here, always end up ordering from Track or Graf's or whoever has what I'm looking for.

Good luck with the cannon.

Is that one made by D. Carpenter? What bore size is it?

Mac is right about having to order it. Most people no longer carry it due to storage regulations. Sometime, you can find others locally that will go in on an order to help even out the cost.

tuolumnejim

Very Active Member
Forum Supporter

Mac is right about having to order it. Most people no longer carry it due to storage regulations. Sometime, you can find others locally that will go in on an order to help even out the cost.
Yep Dominick did it, it's soda can sized bore.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Black powder, not the fake stuff, is almost extinct. As you’re discovering. You’re gonna be stuck with mail order.

The place in Ely, on the Main Street, said the could order it, but didn’t have stock.

Some of the smaller places near you may be able to order as well. If you have time. They may pass along any hazmat fees.

Last edited:

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
I tried the shared order in Vegas, no interest. I was/am looking for 1-2#. Depending on number of people and cost.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
That's going to be a lot of fun. I made a mortar in High School shop class, that I shot soup cans full of cement out of. Ah, those were the days.....

Yep they have black powder, it’s on the shelf next to the cleaning stuff, not behind the counter with the smokeless powder.
I'd called them in the past - they said that they had pyrodex, but not black powder.

Call them first before going there to check.